Gold Coast & Bleiberg

Remove this Banner Ad

In January we flew to the Gold Coast for a holiday from Newcastle airport the day after GC had played Newcastle (and lost I think). The GCU team were at the aiport and Beliberg was sitting beside us waiting to board. He started talking to my 8 year old son (who was wearing a Socceroos shirt). Talked away to him for about 10 minutes about football and asked him who he played for, what position, who he supported, gave him a lot of encouragement (the little fella plays rep football). He was thrilled.

Bleibergs' a class act. He's an exceptional manager who would thrive at a decent club. Clive Palmer's a disease that needs to be cut out of Australian sport.

What's the latest on the Heart's search for a manager post Van't Schip? Bleiberg would be a step up from Milicic experience-wise. Seems like he'd fit in well with the Heart's ethos.

In January we flew to the Gold Coast for a holiday from Newcastle airport the day after GC had played Newcastle (and lost I think). The GCU team were at the aiport and Beliberg was sitting beside us waiting to board. He started talking to my 8 year old son (who was wearing a Socceroos shirt). Talked away to him for about 10 minutes about football and asked him who he played for, what position, who he supported, gave him a lot of encouragement (the little fella plays rep football). He was thrilled.

Bleibergs' a class act. He's an exceptional manager who would thrive at a decent club. Clive Palmer's a disease that needs to be cut out of Australian sport.
That's a nice story and certainly shows him as a decent, grounded guy.

But to undermine a captain won't do anything positive for the club. Regardless of whether Clive was in the right or wrong to award the captaincy to a kid (by legal standards), that is irrelevant. Bleiberg has stood tall throughout this ordeal. He has attempted to keep some closure and consistency within the squad, as hard as that is.

To say this kid didn't deserve the armband might be true. But it's ruined the day for the player, the one person this was all to benefit. It's added nothing but more hopelessness and friction in the dressing room. Being stood down is probably an overreaction from Clive, but I can sympathise with how he felt.

But was this decision ever meant to benefit the kid? I doubt it. Giving the captaincy to a 17 year old debutant is an insane decision that would not have pleased the senior players. If anything, Bleiberg would have been trying to calm tensions in the dressing room by saying it was just ceremonial.

That's a nice story and certainly shows him as a decent, grounded guy.

But to undermine a captain won't do anything positive for the club. Regardless of whether Clive was in the right or wrong to award the captaincy to a kid (by legal standards), that is irrelevant. Bleiberg has stood tall throughout this ordeal. He has attempted to keep some closure and consistency within the squad, as hard as that is.

To say this kid didn't deserve the armband might be true. But it's ruined the day for the player, the one person this was all to benefit. It's added nothing but more hopelessness and friction in the dressing room. Being stood down is probably an overreaction from Clive, but I can sympathise with how he felt.

But the kid himself was laughing with Bleiberg and actually said something like.."they can't be serious."

An insult to the more experienced players. Palmer is a blight on sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see Offsiders this morning? Very good discussion on it with the main point being that Clive Palmer is a complete twat. I don't always agree with Francis Leach but he was spot when he said the A-League have to watch relying 'on the kindess of strangers' and giving licences to meglomaniacs like Tinkler and Palmer.

The FFA have to redo the application form for an A-League licence with the first questions being "Have you ever, or are you currently involved in any capacity in the management or ownership of a Rugby League club?"

An answer in the affirmative means automatic disqualification from involvement in the A League.

**** off Clive. Piss off back to your neanderthal bogan "sport". In 10 years time you'll no doubt be boasting you were there at the start of the massive success that football will become in Australia. And we'll all remember what a prick you were.

What a maniac he is, why did Palmer decide to take up ownership of GC in the first place? He must go, and take his billions with him, and just focus on doing his usual daily routine, which is having fast food (KFC, McDonalds, etc) for breakfast, lunch AND dinner (plus even fattening snacks in between). Hopefully the FFA do something, perhaps fine Palmer $1 billion and share it amongst the other A-League clubs for development, stadium upgrades, etc.

And what's the point of owning an A-League club when you have no interest in the club and wanting the club to play home games at a mostly empty stadium?

I used to have time for Clive. I think I've written about that a few times on this forum. I acknowledged that some things he did were positive, and some negative was purely hyperbolic and just a bandwagon effect.

This is just terrible, though. It's like when you're playing FIFA against an unbeatable mate. You were alright to start with, then it got worse. When the end was near, you spent the last of your time kicking own goals and pissing about, rather than trying to the end.

I feel a little bad for GCU fans, as sparse as they may be.

It's almost hilarious at this point. This owner who said before they had even played one game that GC United would outdraw the Titans and crush the future AFL side, is the biggest laughing stock in all of Australian Sport.

I fully expect GC United to go the way of the Fury. The A-League shouldn't consider expansion for another 20 years. The only people I feel bad for are all 1,000 of their supporters.

I remember some 3 or 4 years ago (around the time of the GC17 introduction) Palmer being quoted in the Gold Coast press as saying that the city cannot sustain 4 sporting teams and one of them will die off. Well it will never be the Suns or Titans and the Blaze actually have a solid niche supporter base.

Personally; I could never warm to Gold Coast United. Albeit being a longish term resident of the coast, I always preferred and appreciated the Roar more. They either don't have the resources or acumen to develop their brand into the market and as such will probably fold unless they make changes ASAP.

The FFA have to redo the application form for an A-League licence with the first questions being "Have you ever, or are you currently involved in any capacity in the management or ownership of a Rugby League club?"

An answer in the affirmative means automatic disqualification from involvement in the A League.

Tinkler has been tragic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast & Bleiberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back