Expansion Gold Coasts Jumper. Just as I expected. Sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mervyn Beasley

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 12, 2007
Yarraville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hibs FC, Blackburn Rovers
One of my early thoughts about the new franchises was "I bet they have a crap jumper, and will refuse to go with anything normal"
I use the word normal instead of traditional, because i am not a traditionalist, but for the life of me I have never seen a non traditional jumper at any level of footy that looks any good.

The Age reports today.

The traditional jumper with stripes or a V-yoke might appeal to purists and romantics, but it does not appeal to the new Gold Coast consortium.

When the new team enters the AFL in 2011 it will do so in a modern "sexy" jumper, not an old fashioned one depending on your perspective, according to GC17 director Graham Downie.

"I dont think we will come up with a yoke or stripes, thats the old days. What we come up with will have a sexy feel about it without being ridiculous. Something more in keeping with the times. Collingwoods jumper is fantastic but thats from 100 years ago"

I'm really interested in the thoughts of all fans but particularly the younger ones as I assume that is who they are trying to 'sell' to.
Do you like stripes, hoops, sashes, yokes and V's ?
Or do you prefer multiple colors and slashes and swipes and claw marks etc???

I'm 40 and by no means conservative, but i have never liked Ports various designs, nor some of The Eagles, nor many of our clash jumpers.
I was early 20's when the Crows came about and I immediately liked their jumper because it was plain and simple and I believe that an athletic footballer will always look better in something plain and simple.

WTF you are putting a jumper down before it has been designed .
Yes, it needs to be bold and simple as possible. That doesn't restrict it
to stripes, slashes and hoops. If you looked at some of jumpers running
around overseas you'd really be impressed. Tradition doesn't stop that
yellow and brown thing the ugliest jumper around only second to that
absolutely revolting brown and yellow thing .

P.S. It doesn't matter to you because you are blind .
Didn't you see the other thread on this subject .

I don't have a problem with the Hawthorn jumper.
If you want a strong, iconic jumper that will last 50 years, go for something traditional. But if you want something that looks 'sexy' now, but embarrassing in 5 years time... go for your claw marks.. or your gradients.. or whatever.

Im a fan of Hawthorn's guernsey. Modern day guernsey, with the white panel on the back, a throwback to the seventies. It was truly horrible without it though (90s and early 00s). I know Gold Coast has to play to their strengths of all style and no substance, but they'll regret going down the gradient path.

FTR, here's the article that's sparked this thread -

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...ition-for-strip/2008/08/15/1218307230036.html

GC turn backs on tradition for strip

Michael Gleeson The Age August 16, 2008

The traditional jumper with stripes or a V yoke might appeal to purists and romantics, but it does not appeal to the new Gold Coast franchise. When the new team enters the AFL in 2011, it will do so in a modern "sexy" jumper, not a traditional - or old fashioned one, depending on your perspective - according to GC17 director Graeme Downie.

The consortium this week appointed a coach, Guy McKenna, yesterday advertised for a chief executive and has a handful of teenagers signed to play for them in the TAC and VFL over the next two years. They are yet to finalise a decision on their name or the colours they will wear, but they have indicated that the style of the jumpers - they will begin with a home and away/clash strip - will be modern.

"We will have a big announcement in a few weeks time. It is a long process," Downie said. "We want to get the logo and the colours right and we are still working on those." Blue and yellow representing the water and sand of the beach might have been a favoured option for a Gold Coast side, but with West Coast already wearing those colours, and the local Titans NRL side also sporting blue and yellow, this would appear an unlikely choice.

"You don't want to follow them [the Titans] but there are plenty of options," Downie said. "As for the style of the jumper, I don't think we will be coming up with a yoke or stripes. That's the old days. "What we come up with will have a sexy feel about it without being ridiculous. Something more in keeping with the times. Collingwood's jumper is fantastic and it still works, but that is from 100 years ago. The V that some clubs wear - Sydney wears - that is the same, and we would not go that way."

Of the newer teams to enter the AFL - Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and West Coast - only Adelaide could be said to have chosen a traditional home jumper, the others have all included multiple colours and slashes and swipes to varying degrees of success. "There are a lot of factors to weigh up, commercial issues and the like, and we will have consultative groups," Downie said. "But really, the best way to do it is to get a dozen fans in the room and sit them down and show them the options and say, 'make your choice'."

Bearing in mind that the Gold Coast was the haunt of such footballers as Mike Richardson and Warwick Capper, is anyone else here having a problem with the use of the word "sexy"...?

We are talking about a serious AFL team here, aren't we...?

You can have a simple and classy jumper design without resorting to the old standbys. West Coast's wings, Freo's anchor (colour issues notwithstanding), St Kilda's 'Crusader' jumper... it can be done. Problem is that most of the new designs we see these days are away jumpers and don't hang around long enough for anyone to get attached to.

Good, they need to go for something totally different. I hate how we got Essendon and Richmond both with the same design (slash - just a different colour of Red and Yellow), got Hawthorn, Collingwood and Kangaroos with the same jumper (stripes - just different colours) and Adelaide and Geelong with the same jumper design (hoops - just different colours).

The ones I like the most are Brisbane and Fremantle - at least it's bloody different.

I'd love the Gold Coast team to have their mascot on their jumper.

If we were to look at this form a rational point of view, the new jumper of a club is going to be it's symbol. Logos change, but jumpers and colours do not. The stripes of Collingwood, the sashes of Essendon... these are the symbols that encapsulates the club that wears it.

Lets look at the great symbols of history.

The Christian cross
the Islamic crescent
The Nazi swastika
The anarchistic A
The Hammer and Sickle
The U.S star
The Canadian maple leaf
The ying-yang

What do all these symbols have in common? More than the face that each symbol has managed to encapsulate an idea in the hearts and minds of a people to the point where they are willing to forfeit their life in servitude of the meaning behind it.

They are all strong, bold, simple, to the point, recognisable. Yes, they arte 'traditional', but that is be3cause they have built their own tradition. None of these attributes are, by themselves, 'traditional'.

I can tell you right now that no one has died for a symbol that was 'sexy, new aged, keeping with the times'. Those symbols are quickly forgotten like an 80's fashion item. Why? Because they are soulless. They have no meaning other than to be 'sexy, new aged, and keeping with the time'. Like all sexiness and modernism, that kind of crap fades pretty quickly.

So the GC17 have ton epiphany to reach. Are they trying to market a ring tone to make a quick buck, or are they tying to found a football club that will last forever. They can't do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham Downie said in an earlier article that he wanted blocks of colour rather than having a logo on the front.

And so he should. Logos are made to be changed.

Look, as long as they stay away from gradients, I can deal with it, no matter how bad the rest of the design is. If they bring gradients to the table, then I will be baying for their death.

And so he should. Logos are made to be changed.

Look, as long as they stay away from gradients, I can deal with it, no matter how bad the rest of the design is. If they bring gradients to the table, then I will be baying for their death.
Oh there will be gradients, trust me.

Perhaps Gold Coast should use green as a main colour in their jumper. Only Fremantle uses green in their jumper at the moment, and it is a minor component, or at least no more significant than their other colours, purple and red. A largely green jumper, with a contrasting colour such as white could work.

Im a fan of Hawthorn's guernsey. Modern day guernsey, with the white panel on the back, a throwback to the seventies. It was truly horrible without it though (90s and early 00s).

Well that just shows what different tastes humans have .
The gold and brown was the best combination of terrible colours .
I hate those white patches .Looks like some mother sewed on a number patch as in the old junior days .The other jumpers with more brown are
absolutely without doubt stomach turning .
I'd like to see some green piping just to break it up a bit .
I hate to say it, but even a gold to brown fade would look better .

Modern marketers will never come up with Brown and Gold stripes ?

Great - we will continue to be strong and unique.

Accidental in the beginning - hawks ditched blue and yellow when they joined the VFA cos the mighty williamstown had it already.

I also want to say there are plenty if cases of brown and gold being chosen by marketers - McDonalds had brown red and yellow a while ago - and TV graphics often use it

Just not for sports Jumpers.

BTW the red and yellow quadrant design in the other thread had appeal for me - something strong and different.

Perhaps Gold Coast should use green as a main colour in their jumper. Only Fremantle uses green in their jumper at the moment, and it is a minor component, or at least no more significant than their other colours, purple and red. A largely green jumper, with a contrasting colour such as white could work.

Sydney Celtics

Too much bagging of the Hawks jumper I like the contrast to other teams. The White number backing looks good. I didn't like it when they went for an all gold back and when they had all gold socks that was a terrible era visually.

off topic as usual whoops !!

GC Design to say stripes and yokes are out, well they have taken their first step to becoming a team to dislike. Wouldn't want to look normal gotta make a statement. To even use the word sexy describing a football jumper makes my eyes roll.

Don't these guys ever learn? It sounds like it will be the old Brisbane Bears disgrace of a guernsey all over again. Downie should take a look at what Adelaide wore today to see how bad a jumper can look - or Port Adelaide's jumper ( Teal?), or West Coast's multi coloured away jumper from a few years ago that looked like vomit from a child's birthday party! Don't they realise a guernsey is like a flag - if the government said they were going to introduce a new "sexy" flag they would get lynched!

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Gold Coasts Jumper. Just as I expected. Sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back