Lingsface

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
It seems as though suspensions are going left right and centre am inside midfielder who tackles could easily be rubbed out this year who leads the Brownlow. Merrett out Tom Green out whose next?

Merrett out I think he would be a top 5 atm, that’s a shame I don’t agree with the suspension either.

Who was the last inelegible winner?
Chris Grant or Corey Mckernan is that right?

Feel like they should just remove the fairest element from the award, or change what makes a player ineligible. Make it something like if you’re found guilty of an intentional act or have amassed 3 weeks worth of suspensions you’re ineligible.

It would probably take a dangerous tackle suspension to a Daicos, Cripps, Cotchin, Bont, Dangerfield etc for the AFL to consider changing Brownlow eligibility rules. That’s no criticism of any of those players, just that the league seems more likely to react should it happen to a high profile/elite player.

Feel like they should just remove the fairest element from the award, or change what makes a player ineligible. Make it something like if you’re found guilty of an intentional act or have amassed 3 weeks worth of suspensions you’re ineligible.
Or just stop suspending blokes over bullshit! I cant stand Essendon but even I can see that the latest suspension on Merrett is total rubbish.Nobody wants to see aggressive sling tackles and dumping players heads into the turf but this is a big over reaction at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or just stop suspending blokes over bullshit! I cant stand Essendon but even I can see that the latest suspension on Merrett is total rubbish.Nobody wants to see aggressive sling tackles and dumping players heads into the turf but this is a big over reaction at the moment.
Your boy shouldn't have been suspended either for that identical tackle, let alone 2 weeks.

Ok thanks for your input.
No probs. Here’s some more input:

If you’re going to make a thread about the Brownlow, put the word Brownlow in the title.

Players being ineligible due to suspension stems from a bygone era where blokes used to throw hands and break each others jaw.

None of that stuff has happened for a looong time.

Pretty much anyone that gets suspended does so by accident, but the AFL is dumb and can't make a bleedingly obvious correction.

Same reason players are allowed to dive and slap a players foot now, likely robbing the competition of many great goals.

2 great goals by Buddy vs Cale Hooker? Not today, old mate can just dive forward and slap his feet to bring him to ground.

Players used to get suspended for that if I recall correctly.

Also the nonsense of some stick player spinning the player with the ball around in one revolution resulting in "holding the ball".

Please.

Lets take all the brawn out of the game and have sticks spinning tanks like Petracca around in a circle once by their guernsey and call it "holding the ball".

It's a kind of phony display of what real athleticism is meant to be.

It seems as though suspensions are going left right and centre am inside midfielder who tackles could easily be rubbed out this year who leads the Brownlow. Merrett out Tom Green out whose next?
The Brownlow, I thought was for the fairest and best.
If you are suspended then you are deemed unfair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good chance of a player being ineligible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back