Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough Fly. The pre-season is there for a reason I suppose and the fact all clubs complete it would mean they rate it as something that plays a part in preparing them for a season. Agree that Nov training can sound harsh but if it wasn't necessary then clubs would come back in Jan/Feb wouldn't they?
Just a copy cat scenario I believe- Opposition Clubs are doing it so we better too. I believe in the value of Pre Season but a couple of runs Pre Xmas runs to meet New recruits get yourself moving again then put your head down in January is plenty of time.

Having a look at Echuca, with Echuca United and Moama, there is never a season when all 3 are up and about at the same time. One is always rooted to the bottom of the ladder while 1 or 2 of the others are succesful.

Yes it’s been a while. Remember when I was at United under Couchman in 95 & 96, we made finals, Moama were in them and Echuca won the flag one of those years! Surely since then all 3 have been up and about????

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I always find it baffling that people get fit for pre season - that’s what pre season is for! You don’t do a pre season for pre season
You always get guys who are keener impressing in the pre season then actually playing. Come March, they've already Burnt out from footy, although I would recommend starting pre season before March like I used to do, where fly found me in front of the hot dog van one session

Yes it’s been a while. Remember when I was at United under Couchman in 95 & 96, we made finals, Moama were in them and Echuca won the flag one of those years! Surely since then all 3 have been up and about????

Big Leo tenace would have been slotting through goals at United, with a young Peter bird playing brilliant footy as a midfielder at 15, one of the best debut senior seasons you'd see, where he mixed it physically with men.

Yep and add in that Locky under O'Neill also played off in the gf against moama, reckon Echuca would have been under eishold and been right up there.

Jamie Macri was also kicking big bags that year at kerang

Fair enough Fly. The pre-season is there for a reason I suppose and the fact all clubs complete it would mean they rate it as something that plays a part in preparing them for a season. Agree that Nov training can sound harsh but if it wasn't necessary then clubs would come back in Jan/Feb wouldn't they?
Tend to agree with others on here that November is a good time to have a run and a kick. Meet the recruits and potentially have a camp. A night on the river or something revisiting basic team expectations and future planning, followed by a few beers and a BBQ or pig on a spit.

November should be about bonding. Get fit in the New Year!

Top few recruits of 2021 so far? Something like this or have I missed ?

1. Michael Hartley (Sey)
2. Will Hayes (Eur)
3. Sam Reid (Ech)
4. Tom Downie (Ben)
5. Jack Hutchins (Mans)

Not sure if Hayes has signed yet but form what was said on here it's pretty much a lock.

Big Leo tenace would have been slotting through goals at United, with a young Peter bird playing brilliant footy as a midfielder at 15, one of the best debut senior seasons you'd see, where he mixed it physically with men.

Yep and add in that Locky under O'Neill also played off in the gf against moama, reckon Echuca would have been under eishold and been right up there.

Jamie Macri was also kicking big bags that year at kerang

Yep Birdy was a “certainly “ to get drafted in many of our eyes…. But it ended up being Micky Braun .
I run into the big Goober occasionally. Been coaching Echuca juniors I think. Great fella with the stickiest grab in the business!

Last edited:
Top few recruits of 2021 so far? Something like this or have I missed ?

1. Michael Hartley (Sey)
2. Will Hayes (Eur)
3. Sam Reid (Ech)
4. Tom Downie (Ben)
5. Jack Hutchins (Mans)

Not sure if Hayes has signed yet but form what was said on here it's pretty much a lock.

How many of these players will be full time at their new clubs?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as much as there was in the past few years. Always believed that two of the three should be in the GV. An Echuca/Moama rivalry would be good for the comp. The issue is that the township of Echuca has also provided players for clubs such as Picola, Mathoura, LBU, Deni, Cohuna, Kyabram and even Rochester over the years.
Those regional areas also continually provide Echuca / Moama clubs with players despite those clubs having multiple junior sides .
Two Willoughby boys at Echuca a classic example, all junior footy prior to final year of thirds played elsewhere .
Get the connection with a collaborative approach between clubs and leagues right and footy will thrive.
Situation in and around Shepp IMO is a direct result of poor collaboration .

Last edited:
Echuca have a habit of producing Morrison medalists I reckon Sam Reid will be added to that list
I'm looking forward too seeing how Sam Reid goes in the GV next year IMO he was a modest role player in the AFL. Does stepping down in standard make him a match winner? I'm not sure. Great get for Echuca to have him there and amongst their young players but Morrison Medalist? Or a star of the Comp? It will be a point of interest.

I'm looking forward too seeing how Sam Reid goes in the GV next year IMO he was a modest role player in the AFL. Does stepping down in standard make him a match winner? I'm not sure. Great get for Echuca to have him there and amongst their young players but Morrison Medalist? Or a star of the Comp? It will be a point of interest.

Similar thoughts myself Fly. Not sure his a lock to be a bonafide star of the comp. Yes has the potential but time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back