Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

And good on Ky if that’s true.

Ky seems to be one club that manages and maximises points.
Kyabram are a well managed club. Don't forget they were on their knees prior to the Williams appointment. A fabulous junior program and a strong sense of 'club' has meant most gun juniors have stayed home. They were clever enough to add Sheldons x 2, Pettifer and Childs years ago and have nurtured their younger players. They also have the great Paul Newman.

On that foundation with low points they have been able to add guns like Smith, Keogh as well as extra outsiders when required.

The people running Kyabram FC should take a bow. Other clubs should have the utmost respect for what they have done in the last 20 years or so.

Kyabram are a well managed club. Don't forget they were on their knees prior to the Williams appointment. A fabulous junior program and a strong sense of 'club' has meant most gun juniors have stayed home. They were clever enough to add Sheldons x 2, Pettifer and Childs years ago and have nurtured their younger players. They also have the great Paul Newman.

On that foundation with low points they have been able to add guns like Smith, Keogh as well as extra outsiders when required.

The people running Kyabram FC should take a bow. Other clubs should have the utmost respect for what they have done in the last 20 years or so.

And those guns tend to stay for a while and also become 1 pointers like Smith would have to be now

And those guns tend to stay for a while and also become 1 pointers like Smith would have to be now
Also lucky enough to have the Echuca crew come before the points system was implemented.

Also lucky enough to have the Echuca crew come before the points system was implemented.
Kyabrams 2013 premiership team had 16 locals which is 16 1 pointers. This is the year they got the first 3 Echuca lads. My maths has them playing that granny at 36 points in the current system. They got Williams the next year and played the prelim with about the same points. Added burstin in 2015, played the granny at about the same points than added Smith the next year. Don’t think they ever would have hit the 40 point mark in the past 8-9 years.
The key is not just recruiting good players it’s keeping them for a sustained period which they have done better than anyone.
Ps I hate the points system and the cap. It’s done absolutely nothing to improve country footy in my opinion.

Kyabrams 2013 premiership team had 16 locals which is 16 1 pointers. This is the year they got the first 3 Echuca lads. My maths has them playing that granny at 36 points in the current system. They got Williams the next year and played the prelim with about the same points. Added burstin in 2015, played the granny at about the same points than added Smith the next year. Don’t think they ever would have hit the 40 point mark in the past 8-9 years.
The key is not just recruiting good players it’s keeping them for a sustained period which they have done better than anyone.
Ps I hate the points system and the cap. It’s done absolutely nothing to improve country footy in my opinion.
Plus we have kanga

Was Seddon a local?

Justin Sherman Sam Smith would have added a few points in 2015.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I believe I mentioned that important fact in the original post. But thanks for the reassurance.

Without you I am certain to be devoid of an opinion.
Sorry just to be clear, I can’t see where you mentioned Echuca players.
Which players came from Echuca and what year?
What was the first year of the points system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I notice Shepparton United Reserves forfeited last week v Echuca. (The same Round as another team). Benalla Reserves have forfeited today. (Also against Echuca). Hmmm...I await gnashing of teeth and calls for fines.

Yes.
Was going to post. Where’s the outrage.

I do see the only “official” footy match at Echuca today is the seniors.

Sad to see that Benella had to forfeit the Reserves and U18s plus they don’t have an U 16s.

These situations are certainly not fine worthy

I think I’ll be safe to leave at halftime with Echuca up by 100 points. Benalla goalless. Trying not to be too negative about the league but it’s at its absolute lowest right now.

I wonder if there will come a time where the better sides will look elsewhere? Or could the league possible go smaller to remain competitive ? Not to sure what the answer is but the current pathway doesn’t look good. No one wants to see 3-4 senior teams lose by 70 points every week, especially in this league.

Last edited:
I think I’ll be safe to leave at halftime with Echuca up by 100 points. Benalla goalless. Trying not to be too negative about the league but it’s at its absolute lowest right now.

I wonder if there will come a time where the better sides will look elsewhere? Or could the league possible go smaller to remain competitive ? Not to sure what the answer is but the current pathway doesn’t look good. No one wants to see 3-4 senior teams lose by 70 points every week, especially in this league.
Yes mate I see Benalla didn't score a goal against Echuca and Tatura managed only one goal against Euroa. 20+ goal floggings for both sides. Not what one would expect to see in a so-called major league.

Ps. Has there ever been a day in GV history where a club hasn't scored a goal at any level in a Round of footy?

Benalla:
Under 18's: forfeit
Reserves: forfeit
Seniors: 0.4

Yes mate I see Benalla didn't score a goal against Echuca and Tatura managed only one goal against Euroa. 20+ goal floggings for both sides. Not what one would expect to see in a so-called major league.

Ps. Has there ever been a day in GV history where a club hasn't scored a goal at any level in a Round of footy?

Benalla:
Under 18's: forfeit
Reserves: forfeit
Seniors: 0.4
The league is a shadow of its former self. Fining clubs will only make volunteers etc walk away. The real issue lies with a huge drop out rate of 17-21 year olds. The only population that could sustain a GV side is Moama. I think it is a no brainer for them to look towards the GV. Unfortunately the future of Tat and Benalla at this level looks grim. If Benalla go under where does that leave Mansfield? Maybe a combined Cobram/Barooga could mix it? So many questions that one would not of been asking 10 years ago.

The league is a shadow of its former self. Fining clubs will only make volunteers etc walk away. The real issue lies with a huge drop out rate of 17-21 year olds. The only population that could sustain a GV side is Moama. I think it is a no brainer for them to look towards the GV. Unfortunately the future of Tat and Benalla at this level looks grim. If Benalla go under where does that leave Mansfield? Maybe a combined Cobram/Barooga could mix it? So many questions that one would not of been asking 10 years ago.

What are the chances that in 5-10 years there is a completely new GV (or different name) league consisting of sides like Echuca, Kyabram, Mooroopna, Rochester, Moama, Lockington, Tongala to name a few? Shepparton teams have been struggling to compete for a while (not including bears premiership year) and Benalla/Tatura showing obvious negative signs. Mansfield and Seymour is a huge trek for the above mentioned sides.. It’s hard to convince anyone outside of the serious footballers in the senior side to travel 2-3 hours for a game of footy when you already know what the results going to be.

What are the chances that in 5-10 years there is a completely new GV (or different name) league consisting of sides like Echuca, Kyabram, Mooroopna, Rochester, Moama, Lockington, Tongala to name a few? Shepparton teams have been struggling to compete for a while (not including bears premiership year) and Benalla/Tatura showing obvious negative signs. Mansfield and Seymour is a huge trek for the above mentioned sides.. It’s hard to convince anyone outside of the serious footballers in the senior side to travel 2-3 hours for a game of footy when you already know what the results going to be.

Mate there has to be massive restructuring and resining of leagues moving forward

Times have changed, when I was 12-20yrs old we all lived and breathed footy and would of travelled five hours every week to play on a frosty Saturday/Sunday morning but it’s just not the same in this area anymore.

Mate there has to be massive restructuring and resining of leagues moving forward

Yep. This league shouldn’t have 3-4 teams that have a zero % chance of knocking off the top 2-3 sides. I expect that from lower leagues because that’s how it’s always been but not in the GV. History would suggest that nothing will be done though I’m afraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back