Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [32] Darcy Fort

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting my finals marathon. all four finals games in order, and this is the hard bit, no fast forwarding the bad bits.

Might do the 2001 series as well.

My favourite Brissie final's quarter is the third quarter of 2001 which my son and I watched before we left for the game. I now have a favourite finals second quarter.

If anyone is at Springfield today, would love to see some pics of the boys. Also, anyone know if there's something in Brisbane being organised? Let's hope it's not left to Steven Miles or it'll be in Mt Gravatt!!!

Have already emailed BCC and asked them to do a car/parade from Ann St to the City Hall and gives the team the keys to the city and Fages "Mayor for a Day" in Lions colour mayoral robe for the public holiday Monday October 7

I know this has been posted on here but no JL and one other I think? Shame JL was missing because it’s awesome shot of the squad.

Gardiner isn't in the selfie either, but him and JL were there. JL is still in the suit he wore for the retirement motorcade.

7 News caught some of the scenes inside the MCG after everyone left last night. JL pops up in the background of a few shots. Emotions run high at MCG after Lions' Premiership win | 7NEWS

1727598830794.png

It's all obvious in hindsight.

Once we abandoned the kick it down the line approach and embraced the chaos ball and the risk of the corridor , and had the cattle to implement it ,that's a game made for the MCG.

Sydney in contrast chalked up the most of their wins on much smaller/narrower grounds by clogging up their back half and using their elite runners to crush the opposition on the rebound.

They looked lost yesterday once they couldn't get any rebound out of the back half.

It's all obvious in hindsight.

Once we abandoned the kick it down the line approach and embraced the chaos ball and the risk of the corridor , and had the cattle to implement it ,that's a game made for the MCG.

Sydney in contrast chalked up the most of their wins on much smaller/narrower grounds by clogging up their back half and using their elite runners to crush the opposition on the rebound.

They looked lost yesterday once they couldn't get any rebound out of the back half.
Blakey can hurt them on their rebound as well. His kicking is 50/50 at best and if it’s not going his way or you can apply a bit of pressure as we did yesterday, you end up with a turnover and the ability to run the ball straight past them for a goal.

Blakey can hurt them on their rebound as well. His kicking is 50/50 at best and if it’s not going his way or you can apply a bit of pressure as we did yesterday, you end up with a turnover and the ability to run the ball straight past them for a goal.
I think it was someone on the Swans board who said their game is built on D50 turnovers, so if they let the opposition take mark after mark after mark in there, they are screwed.

I said 10min into the game to those I was with that we don’t look nervous or uncomfortable out there. That went for everyone on the ground. Was a great sign.

Oh ok, so when Lachie is found in the middle of the night in pain and dragging himself to the toilet he’s a legend, but when I do it I am a public nuisance?

Ridiculous double standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was someone on the Swans board who said their game is built on D50 turnovers, so if they let the opposition take mark after mark after mark in there, they are screwed.

Which is even weirder that they just seemed to let it happen. Every team we’ve played since about round fifteen has played us high upfield to take away our short kick game early yet it didn’t happen in the biggest game of them all. We have been forced into our plan B (which we did just as well) most times but seemed to just be able to chip it around to get inside fifty from the get go.

First and foremost: my apologies and congratulations to Ryan Lester, who in the latter part of this season has proven conclusively that you don't need to be (even vaguely) quick if you know where the ball is going to be and you get there. He has been extremely good, and a deserving premiership player.
Secondly, Lachie and Will notwithstanding, Brandon Starcevich gets my vote for BOG. Not only did he stifle and silence that horrid little maggot Papley, but he played both tall and short right across the backline and was a defensive giant.
Every player who played in the 1sts this year deserves a premiership medal.
GO LIONS 🦁!!!!!!

Oh ok, so when Lachie is found in the middle of the night in pain and dragging himself to the toilet he’s a legend, but when I do it I am a public nuisance?

The trick is not to do it in the middle of a B&E in Nerang

Just watching that first quarter again from yesterday and bloody hell I knew he was good live, but just how good Kai was early when the heat was on in the game was next level for a kid effectively playing his first full season of senior footy.

Dare I say it but his decision to stick around at the end of last year was one in many premiership altering decisions we had go our way this year.

He’s one of those real little small forward pricks too that all other teams will love to hate, yet his own supporters will love him. Hope he sees his whole career out with us.

Good thing Nunez was able to rescue you last night from the gutters of Fitzroy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back