Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t mind the title, irregardless of the grammatical error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Break Stuff No GIF

Groan.

How does a footy forum become the lowest common denominator on the internet?

What the Hector with the popular use of should of?
It does my head in. Anyone who has read a book, reputable newspaper or magazine (print or screen versions) would've come across the contraction "should've".

Contractions formed by adding have ('ve) to a modal verb to refer to the past are so common in our language that no-one who reads can have missed them.

It's beyond me how 'should've' could be anything other than a contraction of 'should' and 'have'. Don't those who write "should of" wonder why they've never come across the word in print. Or why they've never come across a contraction of the word 'of' after any modal verb.

*Sadly I've heard Horse use "should of" in media interviews. It a shame. He's clearly bright but it makes him seem illiterate. The reality is he probably has limited formal education and he may not have the time to read much. He's surrounded by a semi-literate culture of footy personalities and pundits.

He makes rookie errors even though he’s got a few years experience. I can recall 2 pretty bad mistakes in the second half. Handballing it Lloyd who when he had no pressure on him, they both ballsed up a certain inside 50. Then the kick out of defence over the head of a swans teammate trying to get him to run onto it when there’s a Cat 10m ahead of the teammate. Result a Cats mark and goal. Do you see him breaking the lines from the back much? Does he do what Mcinerniery or Blakey do? And when he does the subsequent kick its 50:50 to our advantage. He doesn’t lack effort or toughness though.
Defensively his pace to catch opposition ball carriers but he’s like a dog to a ball. Ball carrier can just show him the ball then step away and lose him when he’s chasing.
Fair enough. You have a perspective, but I also think you're not yet seeing the entire strategy and, classically, falling into the same old trap that many before you have, including me. Defenders' gaffs always look awful while their best plays usually just see the ball in the hands of the midfield. Mids and forwards have it the other way around. If they mess up it usually doesn't hurt us as much while their best plays result in goals.

I went over the game again. I saw those couple of errors you mentioned but I also saw Florent take on risky skilled plays that came off. Blakey is our main intercept in the air but Florent is the man when the ball hits the ground inside defensive 50, which is when it becomes really dangerous against a team like Geelong. Florent uses his speed to get to contests and support his fellow defenders while he's prepared to take the game on and carry the ball from defence. Like many of our Swans, he's a bloody good kick too.

Horse wouldn't trade him for all the tea in China. Florent's an integral part of our team and one of our chief weapons for rebound. His speed and reading of the play means he gets back into a defensive structure pretty quickly at any turnover, which allows us to take more risk than we might otherwise hope to get away with. Big kudos for standing in the hole to mark in front of Hawkins. F..that for a joke. Suicide mission. Florent's got a big pair of kahunas

Did you never watch Jetta? What about Hanners? Franklin, maybe once or twice? Plenty of Swans players have run from D50 to A50 as part of an attacking run and goaled, especially in 2014, '15 & '16. Maybe not recently, but that 2024 team had some serious runners...

View attachment 2017942
Like that to come from so far back , that's all and he ran past so many . I was side on to Jetta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the risk of reigniting the debate, I watched the replay last night and had forgotten about Logan's wonderful setup play halfway through the 2nd quarter. Logan leads all the way down to the wing and then takes a strong pack mark. He then handballs off and gets on his bike to receive it back again then takes a bounce(!!) before screwing the kick across his body to hit Amartey on the lead. It was like watching Blakey in slow motion, but it highlighted his development as well as his underrated foot skills.

At the risk of reigniting the debate, I watched the replay last night and had forgotten about Logan's wonderful setup play halfway through the 2nd quarter. Logan leads all the way down to the wing and then takes a strong pack mark. He then handballs off and gets on his bike to receive it back again then takes a bounce(!!) before screwing the kick across his body to hit Amartey on the lead. It was like watching Blakey in slow motion, but it highlighted his development as well as his underrated foot skills.
Thank you! for bringing us all back on topic.

Logan's done some great work up the field and set up a number of plays & goals for us.

My issue with all three of of our young forwards is they miss too many easy shots in front of goal. I'm not sure if that's because they work so hard up the ground or not.

I just can't understand how anyone could watch our games and not appreciate what Logan brings. I guess we all see different things and because he doesn't kick 2+ goals a game he's not a forward, but we don't need a dominant forward, we need him to keep doing exactly what he's doing ATM.

Logan's done some great work up the field and set up a number of plays & goals for us.

My issue with all three of of our young forwards is they miss too many easy shots in front of goal. I'm not sure if that's because they work so hard up the ground or not.
Amartey's kicking at goal was better

It does my head in. Anyone who has read a book, reputable newspaper or magazine (print or screen versions) would've come across the contraction "should've".

Contractions formed by adding have ('ve) to a modal verb to refer to the past are so common in our language that no-one who reads can have missed them.

It's beyond me how 'should've' could be anything other than a contraction of 'should' and 'have'. Don't those who write "should of" wonder why they've never come across the word in print. Or why they've never come across a contraction of the word 'of' after any modal verb.

*Sadly I've heard Horse use "should have" in media interviews. It a shame. He's clearly bright but it makes him seem illiterate. The reality is he probably has limited formal education and he may not have the time to read much. He's surrounded by a semi-literate culture of footy personalities and pundits.
Id try not to get so hung up about it.

As the saying goes, should of, could of, would of.

Was a really important passage of play that helped to flick the switch. Bloke is a wonderful field kick.

Id try not to get so hung up about it.

As the saying goes, should of, could of, would of.
Happy to sit back and watch people struggle with the only language they know. The irony is when these same folks demand that immigrants speak English.

I think you'll find it's shoulda, coulda, woulda - deliberately tongue in cheek.

They're all around about average for set shots by key forwards but they add other dimensions too. The accuracy will come. I guess playing up the ground then running back means they're taking more set shots from long range.

Happy to sit back and watch people struggle with the only language they know. The irony is when these same folks demand that immigrants speak English.

I think you'll find it's shoulda, coulda, woulda - deliberately tongue in cheek.
I was just pulling your leg.

Though you have no idea how many times spell check kept changing the words back to have instead of of. It takes real effort to bastardise the language nowadays!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back