Club Focus GWS Giants 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Sam Taylor just extended until 2032

Actually a little worried about his lack of development so far.

Interesting - what were you expecting from him?

Seems to be tracking fine for a physically underdeveloped 20 year old tall in his second season.

Has hit the scoreboard in all but 2 matches thus far and is on track for 30+ goals.

Indeed …. He’s doing very well but needed some time off to freshen up in the ressies
He is having a second year on par with about the average of Hawkins, Jack Watts. I think he continues to improve, should be better again in 2025, 2026.
It's just a shame he was pick 1, would be less pressure on him if was pick 3 or 4.

Yep, I think his second year has been quite fine. Comparable to recent talls such as JUH & Logan McDonald. Maybe a few less marks overall - though not far behind in regards marks inside 50, so maybe he's not working up the ground as much as others? But goal average is not far different.

With 5 players potentially on the move in Peatling, Cumming, Perryman, Derksen and O'Hallaran (3 certains) then question is what do GWS do outside of this to get some players back in.

I feel like they have sat on their hands a bit here praying for a perfect situation that hasnt eventuated. Just going through it id suggest they could look at the below

Matt Owies- Feel like with Hogan around its a similar situation that he had at Carlton so could prosper.
Tom Fullarton - Run his race at Demons after 1 season in a messed up way. Think he would be handy in that concept of we missed out on Elliot Himmelberg so lets get a similar player in. With Leek Aleer still waiting chances they dont need a new back anyway
Dylan Shiel - No brainer I feel. If he wants to come back then make it happen
Riley Garcia/Dev Robertson - I think either is a ideal Peatling replacement.
Brayden Fiorini - Ideal O'Hallaran replacement.

They need to get moving and make something happen. Fiorini and Shiel should be on the cards already if you ask me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree on Shiel.Thought we should target him even before losing Peatling etc. Has size and quick feet and is a good clearance player which isnt Giants strong point..Whie he isn't young his age makes sense for us as we have lost some experience but we have Rowston coming through who we still have big hopes for but we still need to win a premiership now while Toby,Whitfield ,Cogs,Kelly and Hogan have a couple of top quality years left...Front ending a 2 or 3 year contract so we can accommodate Callaghan in 26 onwards would also make sense.

We have got Gothard coming through so I dont think we would target another small forward like Owies.Robertson possibly if we don't get Shiel.

Regarding Fullarton Keefe amazingly continues on..He did have some reasonable games later in the year though.Madden is a promising hulking young Ruck and we do have another highly rated Academy ruck who played with Giants reserves a fair bit this year so a decision needs to be made there.Someone like Fullarton though may be looked at as back up like Preuss was.

Then there is Stringer who we have had discussions with.Gee at his best he is pretty enticing I think for most teams.A 2nd or 3rd rounder in a trade would get that done I assume which we have the draft capital to cover so he isn't risky from that perpsective.
Assuming he wants to come which i dont know but if he does it comes down to weighing up what he could potentially provide versus the risks.I like what Chris Scott said something like u basically have to take risks at times with recruiting and back yourselves in to stay at pointy end..I personally would take the risk on Stringer with us.

Daniels Hogan Stringer
Jones Cadman Greene

This would be hard to match up on with Toby the big winner.

Stringer is a gamble. Not talent wise. But are they willing to risk culture for a player like that. And will he come over for purely a longer contract.
Talent wise if you are paying him half what you were Perryman on a 2 year deal...it makes sense.

With Cadman improvement that forward line looks like the best in the league.

I like the Shiel pickup too on a short contract. Great trainer. Good cover and fits our game style.
Again probably a 2 year deal for both of them to try and come win a flag towards the end of their careers.

XOH won't be leaving and we have no obligation to trade Derksen. I also doubt Shiel wants to move his family back to Sydney for maybe 2 years, most likely he wants to get to StKilda and we are getting used by his manager as a piece of that puzzle. Stringer would be a depth fwd and doesn't suit our pressure game style so I doubt there is anything in that. I think we go to the draft, need KP depth to cover potential losses of next year.

XOH won't be leaving and we have no obligation to trade Derksen. I also doubt Shiel wants to move his family back to Sydney for maybe 2 years, most likely he wants to get to StKilda and we are getting used by his manager as a piece of that puzzle. Stringer would be a depth fwd and doesn't suit our pressure game style so I doubt there is anything in that. I think we go to the draft, need KP depth to cover potential losses of next year.
We'd be picking up 3-4 draftees anyway on-top of these guys....but I take your point. I think taking 6 at the draft would be way too many for a list trying to win it all. Need some more experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus GWS Giants 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back