Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

And if we want to extend that line of argument to its logical conclusion - let's just not draft anyone out of state then because they will miss home.

Wait, let's not draft out of Perth, because they'll miss Lake Grace. Maybe that's why we passed on Nat Fyfe.

Nat really should have gone undrafted until Lake Grace joins the AFL in 4372.

His football salary will only be a small fraction of his total income pretty soon

No one is getting him out of Perth for financial reasons

Looks like someone actually understands how it works in the $ecce$$ioni$t $tate at the We$t Coa$t Eagle$..

He may well leave - but it won't be for more money

If WCE were a stock then Harley Reid leaving would cause all shareholders (sponsors) to lose big money.

Harley Reid brings eyeballs which means sponsors get more eyeballs. Shareholders (Sponsors) would dip their hand in pocket to help keep him. A few million out of the pocket of sponsors is nothing compared to the eyeballs Harley will bring to sponsors.

To further explain this theory what's more legit
1. Sponsors pressure WCE to keep Harley (good luck try to force the richest club to do that)
2. Sponsor chipping in to help Harley stay

Last edited:
For the millionth time - Harley Reid isn’t going anywhere for money. He’s going to get just about the same amount wherever he goes and his major sponsors/endorsement deals will be separate from the club he plays for (Bailey Smith with Cotton on the prime example). He’s also not staying at the Eagles because they are a rich club. There are 2 reasons he MAY leave:

1. Wants to play in VIC so he’s only a 2hr drive from his family in Tongala
2. He wants to compete for the flag quickly

The only issue WCE have to navigate is that their best players outside of Harley are all old and won’t be around to compete for a flag. Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, Sheed, Cripps, Darling are all 29+ at the end of the year and won’t be around when they climb the ladder again.

They have Allen, Waterman and Ginbey to build around which is a solid start. If they add the right pieces then Harley will stay.

Last edited:
Reid will leave someday. just a matter of when. Why live on the other side of the country playing for a 2 team state when he can come to Victoria, be closer to home and play on the MCG every 2nd week.

Depends on his personality - some Vic players prefer to be out of the fishbowl. Or they prefer the weather or whatever.

JHF was far less unequivocal about it all the way up to the draft and during his first year with your lot.

From day dot Harley has said he would go anywhere and he even directly said he'd love it at West Coast and he doesn't care about the pressure if we give him the legendary #9. And nothing he has said or done otherwise indicates otherwise.

They can’t help themselves. Victorians believe everything should belong to them and if it doesn’t at first then it’s a matter of when.

I hope he stays at West Coast and becomes a club legend. It’s a bit harder to raid the Giants and Suns anymore so they need another target to pick from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reid will leave someday. just a matter of when. Why live on the other side of the country playing for a 2 team state when he can come to Victoria, be closer to home and play on the MCG every 2nd week.

Just like Luke Shuey, Andrew Gaff, Liam Duggan, David Wirrpanda, Michael Braun, Will Schofield etc etc those bloody Vic mercenaries who didn't stick around at West Coast.

Could join the dees and teach them how to handle a fend off ya reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not every game gets 90k at the MCG, WCE are averaging 50k at Optus as wooden spooners, Geelong at gmhba are averaging 30k, Geelong playing Melb at the MCG only had 51k. Rich vs Doggies a couple of weeks ago was 38k at the G (yay they filled 1/3 of the capacity)

Yes there is capacity capability, but for the most part the crowds aren't always that much bigger from 21 games this yr. at the G it has averaged 60k , obviously there are the 80-90k outliers (Anzac, dreamtime) and will always get them, no denying that, these also have a high split of supporters as it is 2 Vic teams playing. But its not every 2nd week pulling huge numbers, realistically only Collingwood/Carlton, there still has to be 30-40k games to average it out.

Collingwood last yr. averaged 63k at home, WC in 2018 averaged 53k at home, WC also played in front of 100k in the GF, so its not like we aren't part of big games, we have played in a few grand finals.

A decent chunk of Victorian teams have a higher avg attendance at Optus rather than the MCG or Marvel, Nth Melb as an example (granted their home deck isn't the MCG) has played 6 home games of more than 50k since 1997 highest of 68k (5 of these at the MCG) and not played a home game over 50k since 2003.

So whilst he is in a 2 team state, there are really only 1-2 (Coll, Carl, Ess) teams he would go to in Vic for the MCG to be fully sick every 2nd week. (yes I know the away games are also in Vic, hence the reason I made reference to a few)

TLDR: the MCG isn't full every 2nd week and Vic is on the other side of the country too.

Leave your best mate in WA(works for WCE), leave playing with another of your best mates(Chesser) to go and play at a half empty MCG, because the only clubs able to front up will be down the bottom and we all know well well MCG tenants 'fill' the stadium when they are struggling...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid will never leave WA. It’s not like WCE are GC & GWS level, they’re one of the biggest clubs in the league.

Perth is a bit of a bubble. They will treat him like a king over his career and he’ll be rewarded financially too.

The only issue is that ‘Reid to Vic’ will be played out in the media every single year even if he’s contracted long term. It’s a cesspool.

Don't really care where he ends up....just really looking forward to watching him over the next 10 years.

I don't think I have watched a highlight replay before as many times as I have watched his goal on the weekend. It may not be the greatest goal ever but the pure stamp of "eff off" as soon as he got that ball was gobsmacking.

Reminds me of the other highlight I watched over and over - of Jonah Lomu walking over the top of the English in the 90s. It was like "what, u mean there was an opposition out there?"

We may also be fortunate that getting him over is coinciding with Victoria becoming the ‘sick man of Australia’.

Melbourne house prices dropping, negative immigration to the state, government instability.

There has been a recent trend of Victorian players leaving vic clubs and heading to other states which never really used to happen.

Daniher, Dunkley, Hunt, Adams. Grundy is from SA but when he was leaving Collingwood he stipulated he wasn’t leaving Melbourne. One year later, open to heading back to Adelaide and ends up in Sydney.

As others have pointed out, Tongala is far from Melbourne and Chris Judd aside (who left for understandable reasons) the vast majority of our required Victorian players stayed here for their entire careers. We even made one captain. I back our club to retain Harley Reid at this early stage.
a few vics have been captain IIRC, Judd, Shuey, Duggan, anyone else?

I do think like Judd, Dangerfield, J Cameron as examples Reid will become a superstar at the Eagles (or a club outside his home state), but at some point in his mid/late 20s he will return to Victoria.

Still think the Eagles will get many years of outstanding football from him, as I don't see him doing a JHF and going home after a year or two.

As long as it's not via FA, if the Eagles do some sort of Judd like trade one day they'll be well compensated.

How they could get screwed is if he leaves via FA and they get a compo pick after their first pick, and it becomes like a Franklin situation where if they are doing well, he might leave for a compo pick in the teens for example.

That's all speculation, but I'd be surprised (and actually quite happy for them as I like one club players) if he played his full 15 year career out west.

If WCE were a stock then Harley Reid leaving would cause all shareholders (sponsors) to lose big money.

Harley Reid brings eyeballs which means sponsors get more eyeballs. Shareholders (Sponsors) would dip their hand in pocket to help keep him. A few million out of the pocket of sponsors is nothing compared to the eyeballs Harley will bring to sponsors.

To further explain this theory what's more legit
1. Sponsors pressure WCE to keep Harley (good luck try to force the richest club to do that)
2. Sponsor chipping in to help Harley stay
The way it works is a Dustin Martin type situation with Puma.
The player managers work with club sponsors on those endorsements, and the club just helps make those connections.

It's another way of leveraging the club outside of the cap to get a player's financial deal up without it costing money in the cap.

But he'd get those deals anywhere, so he's very likely not going to leave just for money. If he leaves it will be a lifestyle/location type decision, or a success/opportunity type decision, e.g. he might leave to a contender if he felt he wasn't going to win a flag at the Eagles or he might leave for a new challenge if he did achieve success at the Eagles.

a few vics have been captain IIRC, Judd, Shuey, Duggan, anyone else?
Even those that haven’t been captain but have still played 100+ for Perth clubs despite being from another state:
  • Luke Ryan
  • Andrew Brayshaw
  • Matthew Taberner
  • Alex Pearce
  • Brennan Cox
  • Sean Darcy
  • Andrew Gaff
  • Liam Duggan
  • Alex Witherden
  • Tom Cole

For context, here are 100+ gamers (for Victoria based clubs) from Victoria for Carlton:
  • Adam Saad
  • Sam Docherty
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Charlie Curnow
  • Harry McKay

It’s a ****ing myth lol - a lot of players go to Perth and stick it out long term

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back