Autopsy Hawfforn too good. Umps agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

That first quarter was woeful, perhaps the worst quarter of football we have played this year, but after that we weren't too bad.

Ben McKay looks capable of being one the top fullbacks in the AFL, he is almost unbeatable in a one-on-one and has the safest pair of hands at the club. I think he is signed until the end of 2023, so we need to sign him up to a long term contract as soon as possible, our defensive six is being built around him.

Despite what some may think, Lachie Young's improvement this season has been stellar, he has become one of our more reliable defenders and willingness to put his body on the line is scary, but impressive.

LDU was quiet in the first quarter, but looked better as the game progressed.

I biggest issue I had with today's game was disposal efficiency, I think we have players with the talent to play and be successful at AFL level but too many times we see too many kicks and handballs falling a metre or two short of their target or between teammates and slowing down the play. We tidied it up a little after quarter time but it still cost us a number of scoring opportunities. These are the type of skill errors that you would hope any coach that comes in will work on during the off season.

Insipid is right, McKay was wonderful and nothing else at all to add.

Fascinating to see how many changes we make next week.

Probably can’t drop 15 of them- could we?
Yeah i reckon this is key to how Patch will go in his coaching, this week he backed in the payers next week he has to take a good hard look in the mirror and back himself in, make the hard calls, drop the players who can't or won't perform and reward effort in the 2's, I would lime to see a minimum of 4 changes including Larkey in, JZ out, Spicer given a rest, bring in Goater, Dawson, McGinnis and anyone else who has a heart, even Walker, at least he tries his guts out :mad:

Give up 8 goals in the first quarter then gave ourselves no opportunity to get back into the game by terrible hand passing, poor kicking and timid around the ball with no hunger to win the pill.
Hey the umpires didn’t help . They may as well Ben in piss and shit jumpers . To be coat hangered then throw the ball back to the fluorescent maggot only to be told you threw it back too hard and be penalised. That’s a joke . The whole competition is a joke now . It should fold into obscurity. The so called power brokers are killing it . Ie Brad Scott ect . I’m nearly done with this sport . It’s not the game I grew up loving . Everything and everyone involved with it is shit now . “ to firm “ what a lame call from an umpire to give another team and advantage. **** you AFL ..

That first quarter was woeful, perhaps the worst quarter of football we have played this year, but after that we weren't too bad.

Ben McKay looks capable of being one the top fullbacks in the AFL, he is almost unbeatable in a one-on-one and has the safest pair of hands at the club. I think he is signed until the end of 2023, so we need to sign him up to a long term contract as soon as possible, our defensive six is being built around him.

Despite what some may think, Lachie Young's improvement this season has been stellar, he has become one of our more reliable defenders and willingness to put his body on the line is scary, but impressive.

I biggest issue I had with today's game was disposal efficiency, I think we have players with the talent to play and be successful at AFL level but too many times we see too many kicks and handballs falling a metre or two short of their target or between teammates and slowing down the play. We tidied it up a little after quarter time but it still cost us a number of scoring opportunities. These are the type of skill errors that you would hope any coach that comes in will work on during the off season.
Very keen to see how Patch reacts next week given our limited cattle.

Hey the umpires didn’t help . They may as well Ben in piss and s**t jumpers . To be coat hangered then throw the ball back to the fluorescent maggot only to be told you threw it back too hard and be penalised. That’s a joke . The whole competition is a joke now . It should fold into obscurity. The so called power brokers are killing it . Ie Brad Scott ect . I’m nearly done with this sport . It’s not the game I grew up loving . Everything and everyone involved with it is s**t now . “ to firm “ what a lame call from an umpire to give another team and advantage. * you AFL ..
They have too much influence on games now.

What genuinely baffles me is that they can interpret the same action differently depending on the team.

The holding the ball rule became farcical today and led to Hawthorn goals from the sheer fact they could keep it in their forward half through not being penalised for incorrect disposal.

That free kick count would have been fairly even if they could do their job correctly and without bias.

Didn’t watch.

Have come to the snow.

The score line is around what I expected.

We are a young side that rises with emotion. I expect we’ll have a good showing when Cunners returns.

We have a long way to go and glimmers of hope are only glimmers.

I expect a bye bye thread to be started by around the 20 minute mark of the first should things not be going our way.

They have too much influence on games now.

What genuinely baffles me is that they can interpret the same action differently depending on the team.

The holding the ball rule became farcical today and led to Hawthorn goals from the sheer fact they could keep it in their forward half through not being penalised for incorrect disposal.
I found it funny that the only time the cockroaches called Hawthorn for throwing the ball, the replay showed it probably was a handball. Shame Ziebell couldn't convert the opportunity.

I expect a bye bye thread to be started by around the 20 minute mark of the first should things not be going our way.
As long as they start enjoying their footy, the results are inconsequential.

As bad as we were today they at least looked like they were trying to play a better brand of footy and not that turgid shit they were playing under Noble.

Clean up our decision making and disposal and given a fair run with the whistle, that game would have been fairly close.

You would hope Larkey will be available, we looked even more diabolical going forward than normal.

Yeah i reckon this is key to how Patch will go in his coaching, this week he backed in the payers next week he has to take a good hard look in the mirror and back himself in, make the hard calls, drop the players who can't or won't perform and reward effort in the 2's, I would lime to see a minimum of 4 changes including Larkey in, JZ out, Spicer given a rest, bring in Goater, Dawson, McGinnis and anyone else who has a heart, even Walker, at least he tries his guts out :mad:
You know JZ was our leading goal kicker today right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sugar hit didn't last long.

Too many passengers at the moment.
But God damn that sugar hit last week was good. Wore a North jacket in to work on Friday to troll one of the partners that i get along with quote well. Was good to see the rest of the team join in the pile on too ans the draw will only add to it for next week

Hey the umpires didn’t help . They may as well Ben in piss and s**t jumpers . To be coat hangered then throw the ball back to the fluorescent maggot only to be told you threw it back too hard and be penalised. That’s a joke . The whole competition is a joke now . It should fold into obscurity. The so called power brokers are killing it . Ie Brad Scott ect . I’m nearly done with this sport . It’s not the game I grew up loving . Everything and everyone involved with it is s**t now . “ to firm “ what a lame call from an umpire to give another team and advantage. * you AFL ..
Nope, not the same game whatsoever. If it wasnt for this club i’d have zero interest in this comp.

Side note. We are the only team in history to lose consecutive games by 40+ yadda yadda yadda..

Well, in the day there was no 666 rule, no players stationary standing on the mark, no protective zone shit. The games ****ed. 666 can probably stay the rest can **** off. The game is FUBAR. Absolutely agree 100%.

The first quarter was the game. I reckon an experienced coach who'd seen Blundstone before wouldn't have cost us badly in the first half. I thought we adjusted in the third quarter so at least he learned. Honestly Patch wouldn't have been at Blundstone for a game since 2015 would he? Maybe once or twice.

Losing Larkey didn't help either cos we didn't have a tall mobile target to isolate up forward in the second.
Always going to miss Souve. He competes like a beast and takes defenders up the ground.

So what benefit do the assistant coaches have? Was blakey used by Sydney to get his son? Then he was thrown to the slaughter? Is he useless? Younie? Rocca? I doubt any of these guys are there next year. ****ing useless

Always going to miss Souve. He competes like a beast and takes defenders up the ground.

So what benefit do the assistant coaches have? Was blakey used by Sydney to get his son? Then he was thrown to the slaughter? Is he useless? Younie? Rocca? I doubt any of these guys are there next year. ******* useless

Commend Sydney for playing the long game if that’s the case. Nick was 7 when John started there.

As long as they start enjoying their footy, the results are inconsequential.

As bad as we were today they at least looked like they were trying to play a better brand of footy and not that turgid s**t they were playing under Noble.

Clean up our decision making and disposal and given a fair run with the whistle, that game would have been fairly close.
What we saw today is no different to what has been happening all year. The one difference is people accept it now when five weeks ago it wasn't accepted.

Stats on Ben, one on one, tell the opposite story as he is one of the worse one on one defenders in the league but I have a something to say on this point.

If you jump out of an aircraft at 30,00 feet without a parachute putting on a helmet ain't going to make an appreciable difference. Keep this in mind.

In the Collingwood game in the last quarter twice Ben went for a low percentage mark and the spillage resulted in Collingwood goals,A fist would have put the ball many metres away. Now they were running over us so they probably would have gathered the ball, metres away, and scored anyway. My point is that Ben has little judgement on when to attack and when to defend, but he will not learn this balance until it actually matters.

He might as well take a few grabs, concede a goal or two as we are ten goals behind.

Corr is worse statically one one one than Ben but he isn't strong enough to ever play Ben's role.

Ben will make a great backman but we have to get better up the field so Ben gets desperate to bring the ball down as we are two points up with two minutes to play,

Ben will be our parachute but at the moment he is putting on a helmet

What we saw today is no different to what has been happening all year. The one difference is people accept it now when five weeks ago it wasn't accepted.
It was very different.

You didn’t see players drop the bundle and not try. They tried to the end but gave the game away with that horrid first quarter.

Previously in the year that 1st quarter performance turns into a 100 point loss.

Comment from Patch during the week was that they had "tweaked a couple of tiny things and hoped for the best". Also, can confirm that the players were unaware of Noble's departure prior to the Pies game.
So what we are seeing now is largely the Noble game plan which for some reason became more attacking in the last 3 weeks.
Ergo - don't expect a different result to the past 14 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawfforn too good. Umps agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back