Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 194 82.9%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Canberra

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Marvel

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Cairns

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tassie is over for us as soon as they have their own team, if not well before. We get something like $5m a year from the state government and that’s the only reason we do it. They will be not be giving us a cent once they have their own team, they will need to help subsidise them considerably at the beginning not least the stadium.

Horrible crowd today given the perfect weather. If they are honest they will post 7K - 8k (it will be something like 10.200).
Surely our time is up there regardless of what happens with a Tassie team.
Victoria’s fifth biggest club should never play in front of such paltry crowds. Would be 25k at the G, or even 22k @ Marvel.

Horrible crowd today given the perfect weather. If they are honest they will post 7K - 8k (it will be something like 10.200).
Victoria’s fifth biggest club should never play in front of such paltry crowds. Would be 25k at the G, or even 22k @ Marvel.
Give it up, Hawks crowds have been down in 2022 every where.

We would be crazy to ditch Tassie straight away.....we have a core of supporters who have seen 4 flags. No team stays at the top indefinitely and that includes Tassie....will be pretty dull down there if they have a run of outs.

The AFL and Tassie will almost certainly want us there in the short term to keep the argy bargy going....instant rivalry. Imagine a winning Hawks combo who won't leave....its a win-win for everyone. Obviously we wont get the same financial deal but if the Tassie Team is primarily based in Hobart there will be plenty of Hawks in Launceston who will stay with us and others who come on board just to be different. Lots of people in WA and SA have stuck with a Victorian club rather than join the new local franchise.

If we stay there and we play 2 games against Tassie one Hobart, one in Launceston.. then another 2 in Launceston against other clubs...we still have our 4 and get another game in Melbourne. On top of that it will give Tassie 14 AFL matches a year....almost every AFL club could appear in Tassie each season....great for Tourism.

I wouldn't move straight away....just see what happens.

Give it up, Hawks crowds have been down in 2022 every where.
Actually they are up elsewhere.
We would be crazy to ditch Tassie straight away.....we have a core of supporters who have seen 4 flags. No team stays at the top indefinitely and that includes Tassie....will be pretty dull down there if they have a run of outs.

The AFL and Tassie will almost certainly want us there in the short term to keep the argy bargy going....instant rivalry. Imagine a winning Hawks combo who won't leave....its a win-win for everyone. Obviously we wont get the same financial deal but if the Tassie Team is primarily based in Hobart there will be plenty of Hawks in Launceston who will stay with us and others who come on board just to be different. Lots of people in WA and SA have stuck with a Victorian club rather than join the new local franchise.

If we stay there and we play 2 games against Tassie one Hobart, one in Launceston.. then another 2 in Launceston against other clubs...we still have our 4 and get another game in Melbourne. On top of that it will give Tassie 14 AFL matches a year....almost every AFL club could appear in Tassie each season....great for Tourism.

I wouldn't move straight away....just see what happens.
There is zero chance of any club other than Tasmania playing in Tasmania if they get a team. Games will be split 6/5 Hobart/Launceston. If they do get a team, this will likely be our last season there as UTAS will be redeveloped in 2023/24.

25K at the G and Hawthorn would have lost money
Need around 30K to break even

There is zero chance of any club other than Tasmania playing in Tasmania if they get a team. Games will be split 6/5 Hobart/Launceston. If they do get a team, this will likely be our last season there as UTAS will be redeveloped in 2023/24.
Someone is kicking in close to a billion $ for those two stadiums. I cant see anyone would want to see them sit idle and host half a dozen games each per year.
What did the AFL do when they pumped money into Docklands? They forced people to play there to underwrite and recoup their investment.

MCG, and or Docklands would be ideal if the terms were right. The next best thing would be to retain the Tassie link. Its the closest we have to a home ground advantage, it's the best (safest?) field to play on, and really, I just dont see the point of playing some provincial potato fields.
As close as Canberra and Albury are for me personally, they are just a bit of a novelty.

Someone is kicking in close to a billion $ for those two stadiums. I cant see anyone would want to see them sit idle and host half a dozen games each per year.
What did the AFL do when they pumped money into Docklands? They forced people to play there to underwrite and recoup their investment.

MCG, and or Docklands would be ideal if the terms were right. The next best thing would be to retain the Tassie link. Its the closest we have to a home ground advantage, it's the best (safest?) field to play on, and really, I just dont see the point of playing some provincial potato fields.
As close as Canberra and Albury are for me personally, they are just a bit of a novelty.
We only make money there due to the sponsorship. Once that goes it will be a loss making exercise.

25K at the G and Hawthorn would have lost money
Need around 30K to break even
That is not true. When you factor in the reserved seat and membership revenue, even 20k is profitable. I.e. we won’t have to pay Pies, Cats, etc for our home game members to attend designated away game to make up for the Tas games.

Crowds are down all over the AFL

If we do end up with 11 matches in Melbourne split across MCG & Marvel then it's pretty important that our supporter base attends these games.

I'd rather we moved to Tasmania. At least we'd have our own home ground instead of playing at soulless shared venues.

It's 2022 and we're still sharing grounds with other teams and flying interstate for home games. That should be unacceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather we moved to Tasmania. At least we'd have our own home ground instead of playing at soulless shared venues.

It's 2022 and we're still sharing grounds with other teams and flying interstate for home games. That should be unacceptable.
I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

I can't imagine us playing 11 games at a venue in Victoria that isn't either Marvel or the MCG.

Even Geelong plays 2 matches at the MCG.

If you knew anything about Tassie, you would look at this timeslot and wonder what the hell the AFL were thinking.

3.40 on a Sunday eliminates the 'maybe goings' from the NW Coast and Hobart.
Travellers from these locations are probably not going especially if they have families. Arriving home at 9.00 on a Sunday night?

The trade off is that you get to watch it on free to air.
The timeslot to have a crowd is 1.10 on a Sunday, however that takes it to Fox or Kayo.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

I can't imagine us playing 11 games at a venue in Victoria that isn't either Marvel or the MCG.

Even Geelong plays 2 matches at the MCG.
I suggest we move to Tassie. 11 home games with a real advantage, and on the best surface in Australia.

On the other hand playing at the G with q disadvantage might be better preparation for finals so idk

I suggest we move to Tassie. 11 home games with a real advantage, and on the best surface in Australia.

On the other hand playing at the G with q disadvantage might be better preparation for finals so idk

I suggest YOU move to Tassie, and support whatever team ends up representing that Isle.
ZERO way Hawthorn should, would, or could move Tasmania.
What a vomitorious suggestion.

I suggest YOU move to Tassie, and support whatever team ends up representing that Isle.
ZERO way Hawthorn should, would, or could move Tasmania.
What a vomitorious suggestion.
I just want the afl to finally fix the way it is set up. The fixture, with the uneven home ground advantages is probably the biggest problem.

If we do end up with 11 matches in Melbourne split across MCG & Marvel then it's pretty important that our supporter base attends these games.

This is a great myth - that Hawthorn members don’t front.

Over the first 10 rounds of the season Hawthorn has featured in 4 of the top 2 highest drawing fixture each round, and has also featured in the highest drawing match of the round in 2 of those 10 matches.

That is despite playing 2 home games in Tasmania.

This is Hawthorn probably at its lowest ebb from a crowd drawing capacity.

It staggers me that we still have 70,000 plus members with so little expectation this season (10,000 more than the defending premier coming off a 55 year premiership drought)

This is a great myth - that Hawthorn members don’t front.

Over the first 10 rounds of the season Hawthorn has featured in 4 of the top 2 highest drawing fixture each round, and has also featured in the highest drawing match of the round in 2 of those 10 matches.

That is despite playing 2 home games in Tasmania.

This is Hawthorn probably at its lowest ebb from a crowd drawing capacity.

It staggers me that we still have 70,000 plus members with so little expectation this season (10,000 more than the defending premier coming off a 55 year premiership drought)
Hawthorn supporters do not attend games at Marvel in the numbers they would if the match was held at the MCG.

It's not a myth.

Both Marvel Stadium and the Hawthorn Football Club believe it to be true.

Hawthorn supporters do not attend games at Marvel in the numbers they would if the match was held at the MCG.

It's not a myth.

Both Marvel Stadium and the Hawthorn Football Club believe it to be true.

Our home games at Marvel since 2007 include…

Hawthorn v West Coast 32,527 (2013)
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide 28,657 (2015)
Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 48,090 (2017 - Hodge farewell game)
Hawthorn v West Coast 28,077 (2018)
Hawthorn v Gold Coast 31,331 (2019 - Roughead farewell game)

Are they actually that bad - or is a long-standing legacy from the early MCG / post Waverley Park closure?

Certainly our home games at the venue are very comparable to Richmond and Collingwood matches.

I would like to see the administration invest in Docklands and provide our Melbourne based members with Marvel Stadium reserve seating (like Collingwood and Carlton).

The current administration just seems resigned to the fact that Marvel Stadium work.

Our home games at Marvel since 2007 include…

Hawthorn v West Coast 32,527 (2013)
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide 28,657 (2015)
Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 48,090 (2017 - Hodge farewell game)
Hawthorn v West Coast 28,077 (2018)
Hawthorn v Gold Coast 31,331 (2019 - Roughead farewell game)

Are they actually that bad - or is a long-standing legacy from the early MCG / post Waverley Park closure?

Certainly our home games at the venue are very comparable to Richmond and Collingwood matches.

I would like to see the administration invest in Docklands and provide our Melbourne based members with Marvel Stadium reserve seating (like Collingwood and Carlton).

The current administration just seems resigned to the fact that Marvel Stadium work.
Our crowds at Marvel are fine.
How anyone could think that games in another state are better than games 10 mins form the MCG continues to baffle me.
Luckily, Tasmania are likely to get a team, hopefully we can negotiate more than the six current MCG home games.
I was all for moving to a new secondary market, but with another era of success not far away, it is time we capitalised an embed ourselves at the MCG. Given that Dees and Tigers play 10 MCG home games and Pies nine, eight or nine for us is achievable.

Albury is Victoria if you use Sydney and Melbourne as the reference points. It's 3 hours from Melbourne if you don't stop. Incredibly easy to jump on the Hume at 8am, arrive before lunch for a 1:10pm game, jump in the car at 4:30 and be home before 8. It's a long day but not difficult by any stretch.
It’s 2 hours and 20 minutes from my house to Launceston without stopping, so would be a similar day of travelling that Hobartians do to our Launceston games. Tiring, but worth it.
What a shit take. The whole western side of the ground has no sun in the 3.20pm time slot and it was freezing there yesterday right from the first bounce.

Dark before the game finished so travelers are less likely to attend these Sunday time slots, as you have to take a day off work if you don’t want to drive home in the dark.
If you knew anything about Tassie, you would look at this timeslot and wonder what the hell the AFL were thinking.

3.40 on a Sunday eliminates the 'maybe goings' from the NW Coast and Hobart.
Travellers from these locations are probably not going especially if they have families. Arriving home at 9.00 on a Sunday night?

The trade off is that you get to watch it on free to air.
The timeslot to have a crowd is 1.10 on a Sunday, however that takes it to Fox or Kayo.
Spot on. We grabbed some dinner before we left Launceston yesterday. Upside, less traffic on trip home. Downside, it was almost 10pm before we arrived home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

Back