Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 194 82.9%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Canberra

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Marvel

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Cairns

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We only make money there due to the sponsorship. Once that goes it will be a loss making exercise.
Obviously without support, that is so. But wouldn't playing in Canberra, Newcastle, Albury, Auckland, Shanghai etc be the same?

The AFL will schedule teams to play there to underwrite their investment and grow the overall game.

It would make sense if they scheduled a team that has a presence.

Our crowds at Marvel are fine.
How anyone could think that games in another state are better than games 10 mins form the MCG continues to baffle me.
Luckily, Tasmania are likely to get a team, hopefully we can negotiate more than the six current MCG home games.
I was all for moving to a new secondary market, but with another era of success not far away, it is time we capitalised an embed ourselves at the MCG. Given that Dees and Tigers play 10 MCG home games and Pies nine, eight or nine for us is achievable.

How about west of Melbourne as a secondary market? Why were we going elsewhere while apparently saying we werent for the west of Melbourne?

My preference is ALL home games at the MCG (AFL should not be relocating games to Marvel it's unfair. If hawthorn have to play a home game there against the bulldogs, so should west coast).

Outside 2-3 home games in Tasmania is fine. I think 4 homes games in Launceston and 2 away in Hobart (north and TAS) is too many. AFL will 100% want us to play home and away against Tasmania in Tasmania. They will need all the help they can get for crowds.

If we are to completely exit Tasmania, I wouldn't mind playing a home game against low drawing sides like GC in Geelong.

My preference is ALL home games at the MCG (AFL should not be relocating games to Marvel it's unfair. If hawthorn have to play a home game there against the bulldogs, so should west coast).

Outside 2-3 home games in Tasmania is fine. I think 4 homes games in Launceston and 2 away in Hobart (north and TAS) is too many. AFL will 100% want us to play home and away against Tasmania in Tasmania. They will need all the help they can get for crowds.

If we are to completely exit Tasmania, I wouldn't mind playing a home game against low drawing sides like GC in Geelong.

I think I just vomited.

If we were to do anything like that, would prefer a town without a team, especially one that's not our arch enemy, and make it a real country effort.

Warrnambool, Bendigo, one of the Gippsland towns etc.

I think I just vomited.

If we were to do anything like that, would prefer a town without a team, especially one that's not our arch enemy, and make it a real country effort.

Warrnambool, Bendigo, one of the Gippsland towns etc.
I don’t know what people are thinking. If we can’t afford to play all games in Melbourne, then surely Geelong is bottom of the list and would not be allowed by the AFL anyway. It makes no sense. How would 8k at Geelong be better than 20k at Marvel? It simply isn’t. This kind of thinking is what stops the ‘Big 4’ from being the ‘Big 5’. Surely we are big enough to play all of our home games in Melbourne. We are the richest club in Vic with 75k members. Something is wrong if we still need to sell home games.

How many Hawthorn fans would travel down to Geelong to watch us play Gold Coast?

We only make money there due to the sponsorship. Once that goes it will be a loss making exercise.

I don’t know what people are thinking. If we can’t afford to play all games in Melbourne, then surely Geelong is bottom of the list and would not be allowed by the AFL anyway. It makes no sense. How would 8k at Geelong be better than 20k at Marvel? It simply isn’t. This kind of thinking is what stops the ‘Big 4’ from being the ‘Big 5’. Surely we are big enough to play all of our home games in Melbourne. We are the richest club in Vic with 75k members. Something is wrong if we still need to sell home games.
Don't stress too much Walshawk... this is a massive topic for the Hawthorn Board to consider.

You mention our 75,000 members....of course at least 10% of them are based in Tassie. Do we excommunicate those people who are clearly genuine Hawk fans who have been part of premiership success 4 times ?....It'll be many years before a Tassie team gets anywhere near that. You could at a pinch throw in 1991 when we smashed Fitzroy in Hobart and you can say all Hawthorns 5 AFL flags have a Tasmanian link.

Beyond that we have had a collection of Premiership stars from Tassie... it ain't going to be a particularly good PR exercise for the club to to cut and run from Tassie just because we consider are "not getting enough money" for our efforts. That's what St Kilda did back in 2003.... Ian Dicker took up the challenge and ran with and turned Tassie into a goldmine by being pro-active and looking at opportunities.

It has been mentioned that the AFL will have us play down in Tassie against the Tassie team....that is a lay down mesaire....instant rivalry....? Why wouldn't we play them in Hobart and reciprocate by "selling (your phrase)" a match to Launceston. The ground would be packed for both matches.. clean stadium for Hawks in Launceston ...massive for both clubs. In addition we alternate with North to play in Hobart or Launceston each year...all of sudden we are only selling 1 1/2 games per year and getting 3 matches yearly for Tassie members and maintaining a profile in Tassie.

We actually create a circumstance where the media keep arguing we shouldnt be there...keep the narrative going...... the best publicity you can ever get...and great publicity for anyone sponsors the Hawks. There are many aspects to this whole thing....the idea is to create a win-win for everyone involved...Tassie Team, Hawks, North and the AFL.

Clubs don't exist by themselves..... they rely on supporters from anywhere , players from anywhere and they rely on competition/rivalry from other clubs
I could go on....but my main message is don't throw the baby out with the bath water....Hawthorn has made a massive investment in Tassie....don't waste it. You have to be creative, you have to think outside the square.

Ideally would play 9 home MCG, 2 home Marvel and then a handful of other away games against MCG tenants. Would have 14 games at the MCG. Where all Melbourne finals and the GF is played. Richmond kissed on the d1ck with the amount of MCG games they played in their GF years

Don't stress too much Walshawk... this is a massive topic for the Hawthorn Board to consider.

You mention our 75,000 members....of course at least 10% of them are based in Tassie. Do we excommunicate those people who are clearly genuine Hawk fans who have been part of premiership success 4 times ?....It'll be many years before a Tassie team gets anywhere near that. You could at a pinch throw in 1991 when we smashed Fitzroy in Hobart and you can say all Hawthorns 5 AFL flags have a Tasmanian link.

Beyond that we have had a collection of Premiership stars from Tassie... it ain't going to be a particularly good PR exercise for the club to to cut and run from Tassie just because we consider are "not getting enough money" for our efforts. That's what St Kilda did back in 2003.... Ian Dicker took up the challenge and ran with and turned Tassie into a goldmine by being pro-active and looking at opportunities.

It has been mentioned that the AFL will have us play down in Tassie against the Tassie team....that is a lay down mesaire....instant rivalry....? Why wouldn't we play them in Hobart and reciprocate by "selling (your phrase)" a match to Launceston. The ground would be packed for both matches.. clean stadium for Hawks in Launceston ...massive for both clubs. In addition we alternate with North to play in Hobart or Launceston each year...all of sudden we are only selling 1 1/2 games per year and getting 3 matches yearly for Tassie members and maintaining a profile in Tassie.

We actually create a circumstance where the media keep arguing we shouldnt be there...keep the narrative going...... the best publicity you can ever get...and great publicity for anyone sponsors the Hawks. There are many aspects to this whole thing....the idea is to create a win-win for everyone involved...Tassie Team, Hawks, North and the AFL.

Clubs don't exist by themselves..... they rely on supporters from anywhere , players from anywhere and they rely on competition/rivalry from other clubs
I could go on....but my main message is don't throw the baby out with the bath water....Hawthorn has made a massive investment in Tassie....don't waste it. You have to be creative, you have to think outside the square.
There is simply not going to be any club besides Tasmania playing home games in Tasmania, and certainly not against Tasmania (the AFL has long said this is not permitted). Nor would Tasmania want this. Tas Govt will want Tasmanians buying Devils memberships, not Hawthorn ones. They will not want to share their island state. That is the whole point. And we would be foolish to give up a home ground/crowd advantage even if the AFL did. It simply is not going to happen.

And if they do not get a team, it is likely that Govt support will diminish. As would the interest from Tasmanians in the AFL. So there would be less reason to play games there. Maybe two at most v GC/Freo/Port/GWS.

Tasmania was needed when we were broke 20 years ago. I have been down for games. Launceston is a dump but only two hours to beautiful Hobart always makes for a good trip. But we need to read the tea leaves and prepare for life post Tassie Hawks. Our investment in Tasmania has already paid off. There is nothing more to be gained. We no longer need Tasmania. And they no longer want FIFO teams. Playing four games there and only six @ MCG will stunt our growth during our next period of success. We should be pushing for nine MCG games like Collingwood. Or ten like Melbourne and Richmond. It is time to reward the 60K members who live in Melbourne, the 20K who pay a fortune for a reserved seat they only get to use six times a season. It is time to come home.

Still maintain that even if a Tassie team is announced this year it is likely 5 + years off, considering the TV rights money doesn't come through for a few years yet and they showed with GC/ GWS its a 2-3 year lead in with player signings etc.

Think Tassie would be crazy to built a whole new stadium in Hobart, surely the first few years are using Blundstone and Launceston, the latter always referred to as a spectacular ground to play at.

Therefore, think we've still got a few more years at Tassie to go.

There is simply not going to be any club besides Tasmania playing home games in Tasmania, and certainly not against Tasmania (the AFL has long said this is not permitted). Nor would Tasmania want this. Tas Govt will want Tasmanians buying Devils memberships, not Hawthorn ones. They will not want to share their island state. That is the whole point. And we would be foolish to give up a home ground/crowd advantage even if the AFL did. It simply is not going to happen.

And if they do not get a team, it is likely that Govt support will diminish. As would the interest from Tasmanians in the AFL. So there would be less reason to play games there. Maybe two at most v GC/Freo/Port/GWS.

Tasmania was needed when we were broke 20 years ago. I have been down for games. Launceston is a dump but only two hours to beautiful Hobart always makes for a good trip. But we need to read the tea leaves and prepare for life post Tassie Hawks. Our investment in Tasmania has already paid off. There is nothing more to be gained. We no longer need Tasmania. And they no longer want FIFO teams. Playing four games there and only six @ MCG will stunt our growth during our next period of success. We should be pushing for nine MCG games like Collingwood. Or ten like Melbourne and Richmond. It is time to reward the 60K members who live in Melbourne, the 20K who pay a fortune for a reserved seat they only get to use six times a season. It is time to come home.

The Launceston v Hobart thing is interesting.

Hawthorn attendances in Launceston have levelled out at a 10k to 12k base whereas the North Melbourne crowds have collapsed (many are now sub 6k with the AFL practically giving tickets away)

How much of this is to do with Hawthorn naturally having more supporters (2x or 3x more supporters nationally) and how much is it to do with the AFL having much greater support in the north of the state?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many Hawthorn fans would travel down to Geelong to watch us play Gold Coast?

Most members won't even bother going to Docklands to watch us - can't imagine they'd be motivated to drive for an hour to see us in Methlong.

Your obviously anti-Tassie. Just what's needed for a Hawthorn v Tassie in Launceston. the non-Hawk Tassie fans will want to smash us out of York Park. That match would be a complete sell out ......perfect for Tassie, Hawks and AFL. The return match in Hobart would be just the same. Footy clubs don't exist by themselves they need real opposition and a contest, even better if it's a rivalry .

Your obviously anti-Tassie. Just what's needed for a Hawthorn v Tassie in Launceston. the non-Hawk Tassie fans will want to smash us out of York Park. That match would be a complete sell out ......perfect for Tassie, Hawks and AFL. The return match in Hobart would be just the same. Footy clubs don't exist by themselves they need real opposition and a contest, even better if it's a rivalry .
Great story, but neither the AFL nor Tassie Govt will allow any club other than Tassie to play games in Tassie. It makes no sense for us to give up home ground advantage, especially with no sponsorship dollars. It simply ain’t going to happen. Would you like us to play a home game in Perth v Freo? How about in Adelaide v Port?

I am very pro Tassie. They should have a team. No doubt about it. And once they do, Hawthorn should concentrate on being the fifth biggest club in Melbourne. Do you think that it is coincidence that the BIG 4, who play all their games in Melbourne, keep getting bigger and the clubs who sell games are stagnating. We need to position ourselves with Pies, Tiges, Blues & Bombers, not North, Dogs, Saints & Dees. We are better than that.

Last edited:
Why are we playing Tassie in Launceston and the return match in Hobart :think::think:

Great story, but neither the AFL nor Tassie Govt will allow any club other than Tassie to play games in Tassie. It makes no sense for us to give up home ground advantage, especially with no sponsorship dollars. It simply ain’t going to happen. Would you like us to play a home game in Perth v Freo? How about in Adelaide v Port?

I am very pro Tassie. They should have a team. No doubt about it. And once they do, Hawthorn should concentrate on being the fifth biggest club in Melbourne. Do you think that it is coincidence that the BIG 4, who play all their games in Melbourne, keep getting bigger and the clubs who sell games are stagnating. We need to position ourselves with Pies, Tiges, Blues & Bombers, not North, Dogs, Saints & Dees. We are better than that.
Hawthorn have "sold' the most games in the last 20 years and are the most successful club in that time. To not support those members who helped get that success is counter-intuitive if you want to keep growing your club.

Hopefully the MCG could cater to us for a few extra home games per year. 6 really isn't enough at all imo. Tassie has been good for what it is but it seems the fans are sick of us and ready for their own team now.

Hawthorn have "sold' the most games in the last 20 years and are the most successful club in that time. To not support those members who helped get that success is counter-intuitive if you want to keep growing your club.
You are not listening. If Tassie get a team no one else will be playing home games there. If not, it is possible that our Govt funding will be withdrawn. We may still play a couple of games there.

Hopefully the MCG could cater to us for a few extra home games per year. 6 really isn't enough at all imo. Tassie has been good for what it is but it seems the fans are sick of us and ready for their own team now.

I dare say that is what would happen. If we didn't seek a Bulldogs style regional arrangement to play some games (with the Commonwealth Games going regional you'd imagine the government/AFL might encourage another team to play in Bendigo/Gippsland etc) then a 10/1 or 9/2 split between the MCG and Marvel would be the likely outcome. Playing home games at Marvel is sadly unavoidable but hopefully 2 is the the most we would have to do.

I dare say that is what would happen. If we didn't seek a Bulldogs style regional arrangement to play some games (with the Commonwealth Games going regional you'd imagine the government/AFL might encourage another team to play in Bendigo/Gippsland etc) then a 10/1 or 9/2 split between the MCG and Marvel would be the likely outcome. Playing home games at Marvel is sadly unavoidable but hopefully 2 is the the most we would have to do.
I could cop 9 and 2 given we would have away games at the MCG against MCG tenants and Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

Back