Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the umpiring seem as 1 sided and dubious on TV as it looked at the ground? So many shocking calls...
Dogs were outplayed, but umps stole our momentum time and time again.
We were stiff with the umpiring but holy guacamole I wish that was the biggest of our problems tonight.

As I said once his deal was signed, Tim English should never ever had been offered that contract.

When we get a bad midfield performance you can bet your bottom dollar that an uncompetitive English performance is the main driver of it. Happens every time we play a stinker.

Weightman and Jamarra were horrendous and Bont/Treloar had their worst games of the year.

Probably about 6 players or so who had good to okish games.

Lobb, Williams, Richards, Dale, Darcy, Naughton all were acceptable. Freijah had some nice moments as well.

We're not winning anything with English as our no 1 ruck.
Gags and Freijah overwhelmed, but Freijah improved as the night wore on.
Lobb BOG, his move to defence is a raging success,

Trade the farm for a genuine quick small crumbing forward.
Hawks gave up sfa for Meek. We also have our own meek, his name is Tim English and he is meek every other week.

Disgraceful way to end an average season. It's a failure of a season, however you look at it.
Until we learn to bank wins early in the season to give us breathing room, we're always going to have to sprint the last 20km of a marathon and wonder why we're gassed after 10km.

Thought freijah was good all night, not overwhelmed at all.
He was very quiet in the first half and had sme uncharacteristic fumbles. Turned it around as the game wore on.
It's no slight on the kid, what he's done as a late birthday 3rd round draft pick has been a minor miracle this year. If we took him with pick 6 last year, we'd probably be happy with his output so far.

Hawks gave up sfa for Meek. We also have our own meek, his name is Tim English and he is meek every other week.

Disgraceful way to end an average season. It's a failure of a season, however you look at it.
Until we learn to bank wins early in the season to give us breathing room, we're always going to have to sprint the last 20km of a marathon and wonder why we're gassed after 10km.
I wonder if Soldo's manager has his mobile turned on...

Had to come up against the form team of the comp against 70k of their supporters on their deck and they brought their best footy. They played well enough that that beats anyone in the league with that home crowd.

Lock in top 4 for once and we don't have to worry about these elements - the game was lost with our narrow losses against Geelong, Essendon and Hawks earlier as much as this game as we were good enough for the double chance.

See you next year. Go Dogs.

Hawks attack with speed. They take the game on. Requires speed, hard work and good disposal. They simply ran harder for longer. It’s precisely why can’t have Daniel as a best 22 next year. I’m sorry but I’ve never been a fan of Mcniel. He may have a good game occasionally but just not consistently enough to warrant consistent selection. I’d play Garcia every time. Very poor game from Bont and JUH. If JUH had scored that set shot from 15 metres out then the game was back in play. After that we just got smashed. That was a deflating outcome. Don’t care who wins this year.

Not sure the team of trees works on the bigger, wider grounds still.

Badly exposed on the spread.

Very little composure with the ball.

VDM, McNeill, Harmes, Weightman, Jamarra. Absolute horror show.

To keep faith in Bevo I have to believe that West was still not 100% right to go because that selection was also a disaster. Jack macrae did more in 10 minutes than a lot of the above did in a whole game. Another brutal and puzzling decision for finals football.

I can't believe the heat I copped for saying harmes is not up to AFL level pre-game. He just isn't.

Freijah a real positive in a game without many.

Harmes selection was a mistake, JOD, McNeil, Gallagher cracked under finals pressure. JUH, Bont, Weightman never showed up when it mattered. English is a liability.

No plan for Sicily, Newcombe, Amon or D’Ambrosio.

Still think this team is mentally fragile. If we refuse to review that like past finals we will never improve.

They planned for jones, they dragged him up the ground the entire night leaving JOD the deepest defender. They exploited every weakness through coaching.

Lobb was best on by a mile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it just seemed so obvious what our weaknesses were against the Hawks and 0 of them were addressed.

Bizarre.

Except it’s not bizarre, because it happens all the time. We don’t select the best players possible (McNeil and Vandermeer should never be playing before West), we don’t try and take the opposition’s strengths from them, and our players are either mentally weak or just not up to it.

Unless - and this is a massive stretch - some sort of virus ran through the playing group this week, there is no excuse for that performance. None. Our senior players were absolutely monstered by a midfield that was led by a mid season draftee. It was absolutely embarrassing.

The players aren’t given the best opportunity to play their best due to poor team selection and coaching, and then they seem to compound that by playing with no obvious commitment.

I’m on a train home with a very disappointed 9 year old and I’m ****ing fuming at it all tbh. The hawks barely had to get out of second gear to beat us. Pathetic.

Can we get Tom Campbell back? Please, pretty please.

Our two youngest players Darcy and Freijah were easily our best.

Really don’t know why Newcombe and Sicily always do what they like against us. This was pretty much a carbon copy of the game earlier in the season.
Lobb BOG for mine. Caleb Daniel good, McNeill played his role well and had some good moments.
Naughton battled hard and never dropped his head even though it wasn't his night, big tick.

We need one more hateful prick in the team. What we wouldn't give for a Jose Romero or Kolyniuk type. Maybe we should have found a way to get Garcia into the team.

The worst part I was keen on Meek when he was at Freo, and liked the Ballarat connection.
Timmy is a very good forward/ruck but a poor no 1 ruck.

Right now Darcy has overtaken him in every fact of the game, and we looked better with Naughton in the middle for short stints as well.

I'd seriously trade a tough journeyman ruck in and put Timmy on Notice. Maybe he needs to be dropped at some stage every year to kick him into gear. Grab Preuss for a 4th rounder and he plays on Timmy all pre-season to toughen him up.
You’ve just described Jordan Sweet!!!

Also. The amount of almost-punch ons in my section between Dogs and Hawks fans is something I’ve never seen before. Security and police coming down almost every other quarter to break up people. And I’m talking very nice seats on level 2.

The arrogance of hawks fans is ****ing staggering. Never learned the word “humble” on their lives.

Where was this? Think we were nearby

Could see during the 2nd once Hawthorn started to open the game up on the flanks with the over run. We got bottled in defence and the midfield was well held.

Can’t blame anyone but themselves for the lack of intensity beyond the 1st quarter

Hawks attack with speed. They take the game on. Requires speed, hard work and good disposal. They simply ran harder for longer. It’s precisely why can’t have Daniel as a best 22 next year. I’m sorry but I’ve never been a fan of Mcniel. He may have a good game occasionally but just not consistently enough to warrant consistent selection. I’d play Garcia every time. Very poor game from Bont and JUH. If JUH had scored that set shot from 15 metres out then the game was back in play. After that we just got smashed. That was a deflating outcome. Don’t care who wins this year.
that was a very predictable and vey poor miss from JUH

Did the umpiring seem as 1 sided and dubious on TV as it looked at the ground? So many shocking calls...
Dogs were outplayed, but umps stole our momentum time and time again.
Hawks fans can come and laugh react as much as they want.

But “Free Kick Harthorne” is most certainly back. Even the Hawks fans next to me were commenting on “their soft free kicks they are getting”.

13 to 22 doesn’t lie.

Except it’s not bizarre, because it happens all the time. We don’t select the best players possible (McNeil and Vandermeer should never be playing before West), we don’t try and take the opposition’s strengths from them, and our players are either mentally weak or just not up to it.

Unless - and this is a massive stretch - some sort of virus ran through the playing group this week, there is no excuse for that performance. None. Our senior players were absolutely monstered by a midfield that was led by a mid season draftee. It was absolutely embarrassing.

The players aren’t given the best opportunity to play their best due to poor team selection and coaching, and then they seem to compound that by playing with no obvious commitment.

I’m on a train home with a very disappointed 9 year old and I’m ****ing fuming at it all tbh. The hawks barely had to get out of second gear to beat us. Pathetic.
Neither McNeal or VDM were picked instead of West. Harmes was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back