Preview Hawks vs Cats - Ins, Outs & all other lead-up discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be another typical Hawks v Cats encounter, they will be without 3 or 4 players that have been thorns in recent defeats. I speak not only of Scarlett whom i expect will be out for at least 4, but also retired players in Ling, Ottens and Milburn. I know Milburn was not in their granny team but i still think in some of our previous games he has been a thorn. For us, well the last time we played, Roughy had little impact due to his injury in that game, Gilham was already out, and Bailey was as fresh as what Mccauley is now.
Doubt Hodge or Roughy will come in ( although i do hope they get up ) ,prob Sheils to come in for anybodies guess. Cats will be reeling from a tight loss in Perth and out to get points on the board. Travel is not an issue these days, that is such crap.. We will be out to break a losing streak to them that is very overdue. Will need to play very good football to win.

Just browsing the teams that lined up in last years final and who will be missing from the lineups in which they of course won.

Geelong will be missing - retired / injured

Mooney
Ottens
Ling
Varco
Wojcinski
Menzel

Hawks will be missing -

Hodge - ?
Bailey
Murphy
Puopolo
Sheils ? - possible in

So both sides will be fielding a reasonably different line up.

I was at the game on Friday night and didn't seem to think Osbourne would be in any trouble to keep his spot. I didn't think he had a blinder but didn't think he was on the nose either.

I watched Boumann quite a bit and he just looked a bit lost with the pace of the game and seemed unsure of where to position himself. I'm sure we'll persist with him but against Geelong I think his lack of experience at the top level will be shown up again pretty badly. Didn't see the Pods report but if he is rubbed out I'd be happy to see Tom Murphy come in for Boumann and Shoe will mo doubt have a good battle with Hawkins.

I'm a bit ambivilent about Changa. Had glimpses of his former self but as others have said was very fumbly in close on Friday night. I think if Shiels is fit he has to come in, likely at the expense of Changa. Really could have used Shiels in the guts.

Was good to get over the line Friday night but I reckon this will be a bigger test.

In - Shiels, Murphy
Out - Bateman, Boumann

Pods incident was soft. He has done worse in the past and gotten off so don't think he will be out. Didn't see the Kelly incident, but we need to remember, it's Geelong. They won't rub out 2 Cats for the same game considering they are playing us.

IMO Hodge, Shiels, Pup and Rough are all in our starting 18 so if any of them are ready to go they have to come straight in. Have no idea who for though.

Can see 1 maybe 2 come in out of that group.

If we thought the cats were angry last night wait until next monday. They will not want to be 0-2.

I was at the game on Friday night and didn't seem to think Osbourne would be in any trouble to keep his spot. I didn't think he had a blinder but didn't think he was on the nose either.

I watched Boumann quite a bit and he just looked a bit lost with the pace of the game and seemed unsure of where to position himself. I'm sure we'll persist with him but against Geelong I think his lack of experience at the top level will be shown up again pretty badly. Didn't see the Pods report but if he is rubbed out I'd be happy to see Tom Murphy come in for Boumann and Shoe will mo doubt have a good battle with Hawkins.

I'm a bit ambivilent about Changa. Had glimpses of his former self but as others have said was very fumbly in close on Friday night. I think if Shiels is fit he has to come in, likely at the expense of Changa. Really could have used Shiels in the guts.

Was good to get over the line Friday night but I reckon this will be a bigger test.

In - Shiels, Murphy
Out - Bateman, Boumann

I thought Ozzie's game was fine. A bit rusty, but improved as the game went on, much like the rest of the team.

Boumann was alright and i thought committed to the contest. Maybe the Cats aren't tall enough down forward, this week, for Stratton, Schoenmakers, and Boumann?

I think Bateman has to play out of his skin, this season, to stay in the seniors. His game wasn't bad, but i'm not sure i see a lot of upside to him.

Ins from - Shiels, Roughead, Puopolo, Murphy

Out - Bateman, Boumann (Both for no real mistakes)

I agree, watched the replay last night and Osborne was reasonable, and he had a big 4th quarter. I don't think he'll be going anywhere this week.

In: Sheils, Puopolo*
Out: Bateman, Bruest

B: Stratton - Boumann - Guerra
HB: Birchall - Shoenmaker - Gibson
C: Savage - Mitchell - Smith
HF: Whitecross - Franklin - Rioli
F: Gunston - Hale - Osborne
R: Mchauley - Sewell - Burgoyne

I/C: Sheils - Suckling - Lewis - Puopolo

In - Shiels, Murphy
Out - Bateman, Boumann

Reckon onthemoney is on the money:thumbsu:

Reckon the cats may be gone. Dockers are OK but they play Dawson and Bradley so they have limited talls. Stephenson is not a walk up start to play AFL and West is no Ottens. Will be good to watch Broc against some lesser opponents.

Cats went forward with Pods, Hawkins, resting rucks, Johnson and Stokes. Schoe takes Hawkins. I hope Boumann gets another shot. We may have to risk playing Gibbo on a Geelong tall. I would not mind seeing Goo on Johnson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon the cats may be gone. Dockers are OK but they play Dawson and Bradley so they have limited talls. Stephenson is not a walk up start to play AFL and West is no Ottens. Will be good to watch Broc against some lesser opponents.

Cats went forward with Pods, Hawkins, resting rucks, Johnson and Stokes. Schoe takes Hawkins. I hope Boumann gets another shot. We may have to risk playing Gibbo on a Geelong tall. I would not mind seeing Goo on Johnson.

I reckon stratton would be a perfect match up for johnson! Would have Schoey on Pods, Boumann on Hawkins and bring in Poppy to play on Stokes!! INS: Shiels, Puopolo, OUTS: Suckling, Bateman!! If the Big Rough is good to go id drop Boumann and play rough on Hawkins!!

Guerra Gibson Boumann

Birchall Schoenmakers Stratton

Broc Sewell Lewis

Smith Mitchell Shiels

Rioli Franklin Burgoyne

Osborne Hale Gunston

Int: Suckling, Whitecross, Savage, Roughead, Bateman, Puopolo, Breust

That is my 25 man squad. Dropping three players off it, is difficult.

Will be a cracker!

Ling holding one of Mitchell or Hodge and Ottens playing in the ruck has usually been the difference in these games. So will be an interesting battle.

AFL Gameday Doc Larkin has Hodge listed as 2-3 weeks away, deep calf muscle damage, said they take some time to heal and can re-occur and that the Hawks will be very wary and cautious. Roughy was listed as needing to pass a test. They have already openly admitted he is ready to go so will be interesting as to whether they bring him in. No mention of Puopolo ? If he is not injured, surely he is in our best 22 ? and has to come in with Sheils who performed well for BHH on Thursday. Roughy is 50/50.

I think Roughy providing he is ready to go should get the gig on one of the Cats tall forwards, Ladyboy Hawkins or JPod, neither of these two ever leave the forward 50m arc as near as I can tell, so conditioning won't be much of an issue, it's just a battle of strength.

that IMO is delusional thinking. Let's not forget that the dockers in 10 played finals and were decimated by injuries in 11 and are not some second rate team. With Lyon at the helm you can already see some changes - not one docker shirked an issue last night and played very "unsociable" football, something the cats are used to dishing out not receiving.

The forward line for the cats will cause us the usual headaches and it would be great if we could have both Gilly and roughie back or at least have the mrp do us a favour and take out pods for striking Suban or unduly rough play on sandilands - that would help immensely. I would prefer Murphy came in for SJ or even Whitecross I think would be more than able.

At the end of the day it's in the hands of the selectors and I'm doing nothing more than being hopeful that we are going to have some big ins for this game

I saw about 5 seconds of the Channel 9 Footy Show this morning but I thought I saw, scrolling across the bottom of the screen, that James Kelly (Geel) had been reported for striking.

Did anyone see that or can anyone dispell the idea I have in my head? From the post above, is Pods likely to be looked at seriously?

Scarlett is a vicious player. Widely known for going the behind play, dropping the knee, that sort of stuff.

The difference between a player like Brereton, compared to Scarlett, is Brereton put himself in positions to be hit, and hit hard. So he dished it out and was willing to take a bit as well. I have yet to see Scarlett open himself up, yet he is one of the best snipers to ever play the game. He is the player I most dislike in the AFL and I hope one day I get to talk to him. I am shattered he most likely will not be playing next week, as unfortunately for him he is now not quick enough to get out of the way of heavy traffic. For the record, I admire all afl players who put their bodies on the line and never wish for any horrific collisions. However Anyone that snipes (a gutless way to inflict harm on the opposition) and isn't prepared to take a hit, is another story and fair game.

I saw about 5 seconds of the Channel 9 Footy Show this morning but I thought I saw, scrolling across the bottom of the screen, that James Kelly (Geel) had been reported for striking.

Did anyone see that or can anyone dispell the idea I have in my head? From the post above, is Pods likely to be looked at seriously?

On watching the replay of pods hit on Suban, I have to agree with Scott that it shouldn't have been reported. The one against sandi is touch and go because for mine, it seems to be a tactic that pod uses regularly to take out players and sandi rarely reacts to anything so the mrp may take a closer look.

What I couldn't get my head around is that Scarlett approached pavlich in the huddle to voice his displeasure at ballantynes alleged hit on chapman and pavlich didn't even react - like WTF, I would of been staggered if he had made it out of the hawks huddle without punches brim thrown or am I still living in the past.

The other thing that shat me was SJ seeking Bally out at the end of the game to shake his hand and then proceeded to prod him in the chest and verbal him. Again WTF where do the Geelong players get off.

On watching the replay of pods hit on Suban, I have to agree with Scott that it shouldn't have been reported. The one against sandi is touch and go because for mine, it seems to be a tactic that pod uses regularly to take out players and sandi rarely reacts to anything so the mrp may take a closer look.

Anything on Kelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back