Hawthorn 2017 season preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Except Geelong chose Blake instead of Mumford for the 2009 grand final.
History is littered with bad luck stories and having a niggle or two didn't help. Still doesn't make your assertion right.

A player drops in estimation after not playing a game for two years. Before that he was number two at the Suns, behind only the best player in the league. It was also his second year of football, so forgive us for being excited.
I can't remember him being #2 except maybe on potential. Prestia was #2 in that midfield, Bennell was also arguably better than O'Meara. Then you've got Lynch who is head and shoulders above all of them and May.

Expecting him to be a top 5 player in the league is fantasy land, especially after the injury. He's never been tagged, he's never been the focal point of an opposition coach's plans. He's marginally top 5 at Gold Coast.

They were pretty rubbage. If your afl side is top 4 and your vfl side finishes 11th then i think you can safely say you have depth issues
Box Hill lost at least 3 games during the year where they were leading up until late, then fell over.

Looking at a VFL ladder to ascertain if a VFL side is any good is very simplistic.

Oh no doubt i would trade my teams last decade for yours. In a heartbeat.

That does not stop me though from realising that a top team who has a bad vfl team is lacking depth.

Box hill was cleaned out of talks not mids. Which is where you have been concentrating your criticism

Opposition fans seem to have a lot at stake for another club to fail. The desperation is fascinating to watch.

We'll certainly be watching the Hawks with much interest this season considering we hold your first rounder.

Traded away all of this years' and next years' decent draft picks to replace two players. Got three champions retiring again this year with nothing to trade with. If they finish outside the top 4, they become a lot less attractive to free agents at the end of their career looking for some last minute glory a-la Lake, Frawley and even to young trade targets like O'Meara and Mitchell. I bet Richmond had to pay more for Prestia than Hawthorn would just because of ladder position.
How many players of Mitchell or omearas quality do you think we would get if we went to the draft with all those picks?

That's okay, because we used yours to get Jeagar O'Meara.

Umm yes, I do realize that. I was just making a comment about why we would be watching your team with interest. You got your player, ours now depends on how Hawthorn performs this season. I hope for your sake that JOM can get on the park because he was a very expensive trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember him being #2 except maybe on potential. Prestia was #2 in that midfield, Bennell was also arguably better than O'Meara. Then you've got Lynch who is head and shoulders above all of them and May.

Expecting him to be a top 5 player in the league is fantasy land, especially after the injury. He's never been tagged, he's never been the focal point of an opposition coach's plans. He's marginally top 5 at Gold Coast.
Yep, a marginal player at best. That's why I was confused with 500 plus pages of fluff in the trade thread. Why such a fuss over a player who was not even top 10 at the Suns and hadn't played in 2 years. Pick 88 should have been enough. All those other clubs after him, I tell you he is an enchanter and that is all.

Umm yes, I do realize that. I was just making a comment about why we would be watching your team with interest. You got your player, ours now depends on how Hawthorn performs this season. I hope for your sake that JOM can get on the park because he was a very expensive trade.
Then focus hard on the history of pick 18.

Box Hill lost at least 3 games during the year where they were leading up until late, then fell over.

Looking at a VFL ladder to ascertain if a VFL side is any good is very simplistic.

So ladders are not used in the sporting world to rank teams based on their win/loss ratio?

And as Hawks fans so lovingly like to tell us, good teams win close games and Box Hill was not a good team last year.

That shows that past their top 25 players, Hawthorn are really weak and don't have much to bring in.

The Bulldogs on the other hand not only won the AFL cup but also won the VFL cup as well. Geelong's finished 5th.

See how the other top teams also have top VFL sides? It is a sign of depth.

Now let me make that clear again. IT IS A SIGN OF DEPTH.

Not top tier talent. Hawthorn still has the top tier talent, it is just in a risky situation if that talent gets hurt.

Box hill was cleaned out of talks not mids. Which is where you have been concentrating your criticism

I have not been talking about your mids at all other than to say I think it will take time for JOM and Mitchell to get situated. I have been talking about your depth as a whole.

Hawthorn bats about 25(ish) deep. After that it becomes very sub standard.

1-10 - Amazing

11-20 - Good Premiership calibre players

21-25(ish) - Premiership calibre players

26(ish) - Scrubs

How do you think Roughhead's energy levels will be at following cancer treatment. Most cancer survivors I know say the biggest problem after is that their energy levels are well below par. It can sometimes take years before you are back to your best, if ever. In saying that I think it's tremendous news that Roughie can even contemplate playing at AFL level again. Let's hope he goes well.

Firstly very happy the people you know survived cancer but Sorry to hear they have no energy now.
But I think you may be generalising.

In regards to athletes who survived cancers, maybe you could consider:
Maria Lemieux- arguably second to Gretzky as best ever hokey player
Eric Shanteau- came back and won Olympic gold medal
Mark Herzlich-NFL gun line backer

Do Hawks fans expect Shiels to pick up a lot of the slack from Lewis and Mitchell leaving? To maybe go from a very accountable mid to more of a ball winner?

I think he'd be your best pure ball winner outside of Tom Mitchell in that midfield?

Do Hawks fans expect Shiels to pick up a lot of the slack from Lewis and Mitchell leaving? To maybe go from a very accountable mid to more of a ball winner?

I think he'd be your best pure ball winner outside of Tom Mitchell in that midfield?
Not really unless there is a massive change in game plan which your win may eventually force on us coupled with how GWS deconstructed our game plan. Mitchell was playing large chunks on the half back line for a few years now and Lewis in the forward line for a year or 2 and wherever else he was needed. There was another post which showed the Hawks rotate more through the middle than other clubs. If JOM is right to go, he will be there too. And Lovell.

hoping they drop off top draft pick comming saints way lol
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

I wouldn't be expecting Shiels to have to pick up "the slack", more so I'd just think he'd continue to play his role as a defensive minded mid. Perhaps he will be released to be more attacking, but with an average of over 8 tackles a game I wouldn't think Clarkson would want to lose that side of his game.

As has been pointed out earlier in the thread Sam and Jordan weren't stay at home mids, and were often playing off a flank or wing, so although we'll miss them, it's hard to quantify just how much at this stage, when we know that Clarkson does this for this exact reason.

The question will be, out of Langford, O'Rourke, Lovell, Hardwick and Stewart, who will take the opportunity to step up and play a consistent role.

I have not been talking about your mids at all other than to say I think it will take time for JOM and Mitchell to get situated. I have been talking about your depth as a whole.

Hawthorn bats about 25(ish) deep. After that it becomes very sub standard.

1-10 - Amazing

11-20 - Good Premiership calibre players

21-25(ish) - Premiership calibre players

26(ish) - Scrubs
Name them for us buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn 2017 season preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Back