Hawthorn's decision to resign it's older players

Remove this Banner Ad

Worthing noting that of the big 4 being mentioned as agreeing to terms only 1 has actually signed .
Watch this space .

Be interested to see if they think they can win again next year, whether they can recruit well enough to keep themselves topped up, or whether they are going to go full-cull mode like North.

Taking out the older guys:

FB: Duryea Frawley Stratton
HB: Birchall Brand Burton
C: Hartung T Mitch Smith
HF: Breust Schoenmakers/O'Brien Sicily
FF: Rioli Gunston Poppy
Foll: McEvoy/Cegs O'Meara Shiels
Int: Vickery Howe O'Rourke Whitecross /Lovell

Certainly light on for depth but I'm topping up if I'm Hawthorn with this list. The forward line can still be dangerous. The backline won't have the same class but can be effective and there's still options for outside run in the midfield. Assuming they get him Tom Mitchell with thrive as the go to clearance mid. O'Meara is a huge risk but if it pays off you've got an instant superstar and rebuilding the rest of the midfield would be a lot easier.

The main reason I'd top up would be to get more players in the 22-26 year old range. If they didn't top up now and instead attacked the draft then when all the old guys and role players start to drift out of the side/list in the next 12-24 months there won't be anyone left to lead the next generation anyway.

You can call time and start a rebuild next year or the year after. You can't top up if you don't have the quality to attract talent.
Those in red likely to be part of the JOM trade

There is a good reason they have been so good for the last 5 years, they don't put their faith in kids with potential who are not ready or good enough to play. 17 other sides keep doing that and have continued to keep running second to Hawthorn.
Hawthorn trade draft picks to get good players to win premierships, that is the best system clearly.
All the rest of the clubs keep going to the draft with one word, Hope!!!
How is that working for them.
I am a firm believer that when in a window the draft is of little help to you, you trade to keep winning. Hawthorn do it better than everyone. They will decide when their window is closed and then and only then will they look to the draft.
How many good players do you think would be enticed to go to clubs other than the Hawks, or some other powerhouse? Do you honestly think good players will go to weaker clubs? Lake? Burgoyne? Gunston? O'meara? Hawks have had the luxury of being able to do it 'better' because they are in premiership window, most others haven't had that luxury. Gws and Gc also further enabled them to get good players in scarce times.

Hawthorn are the best run club in Victoria by a long shot. They are a destination club. If they could of gotten something better, they would of.

Surely unless the veterans are playing on 100-200k they have some salary cap issues. Does look a bit confusing why they wouldn't retire 1-2 of them to make room for O'Meara and Mitchell. At best they offer deteriorating returns next year (started this year really with Hodge and Gibson) and at worst they could even retire mid year.

Those in red likely to be part of the JOM trade
That's ok. Don't need both. I'd try and move Breust but keep Sicily, but if both go that's room to get more mids in the side and means they keep draft picks. The sides crying out for young depth mids at half forward anyway and they can impact early like a Dunkley at the Dogs.

How many good players do you think would be enticed to go to clubs other than the Hawks, or some other powerhouse? Do you honestly think good players will go to weaker clubs? Lake? Burgoyne? Gunston? O'meara? Hawks have had the luxury of being able to do it 'better' because they are in premiership window, most others haven't had that luxury. Gws and Gc also further enabled them to get good players in scarce times.

Isn't that supposed to be the goal of your club, to be the club people want to play for. I wish my club would trade to fill their holes but they will go to the draft and those drafted players will all play together at East Perth for the next 3 years and our window will be closed.
The Hawks were not the power club when Burgoyne and Gunston were recruited, it was just great recruiting instead of taking a kid with hope.
Lake wanted a career change and the Hawks offered it to him, again just great recruiting. O'Meara is not there yet.
Geelong themselves might win a flag this year based on good recruiting not by going to the draft.
Of course at some point you must go to the draft, but when in a window with a solid base trading wins you flags not drafting more kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three of the four old teams of 2015 have declined.

26.82 Hawthorn, 1st -> 5th/6th (26.49)
26.74 North, 4th -> 8th (27.63)
26.57 Fremantle, 3rd -> 16th (25.96)
26.48 Sydney, 5th -> 1st* (25.17)

Sydney still alive but shaky after substantial renovations (one of the 20 biggest year-on-year age decreases in history).

2016 is only the third time that the top four is completely different to the year before. There are new sheriffs in town.

Wasn't Sydney top 4 last year? Or do you mean after final results?

Three of the four old teams of 2015 have declined.

26.82 Hawthorn, 1st -> 5th/6th (26.49)
26.74 North, 4th -> 8th (27.63)
26.57 Fremantle, 3rd -> 16th (25.96)
26.48 Sydney, 5th -> 1st* (25.17)

Sydney still alive but shaky after substantial renovations (one of the 20 biggest year-on-year age decreases in history).

2016 is only the third time that the top four is completely different to the year before. There are new sheriffs in town.
Love the stats Ron.

Which other years had a completely new top4? Interested to see if the new sheriffs have a habit of kicking on or if it's a temporary thing.

Isn't that supposed to be the goal of your club, to be the club people want to play for. I wish my club would trade to fill their holes but they will go to the draft and those drafted players will all play together at East Perth for the next 3 years and our window will be closed.
The Hawks were not the power club when Burgoyne and Gunston were recruited, it was just great recruiting instead of taking a kid with hope.
Lake wanted a career change and the Hawks offered it to him, again just great recruiting. O'Meara is not there yet.
Geelong themselves might win a flag this year based on good recruiting not by going to the draft.
Of course at some point you must go to the draft, but when in a window with a solid base trading wins you flags not drafting more kids.
Hawks have been an attractive destination for a long time now and a flag in 2008 ahead of their time means they have been in window all the time since. Would Lake have gone to Melbourne then? Nope- he wanted a flag so that limits his options.
Its completely understandable that players want to go there, but its also understandable that other teams don't have their pulling power. Of course Hawks have been brilliant at identifying a need and going after it. But their success has made that possible and then it feeds on itself so its a win win for them. Good luck to them.

They'll try to top up over the preseason and it will backfire spectacularly.

Possibly it may. But who on here is going to second guess that little prick Clarkson?! As long as he's leading them, they will always be competitive at a minimum.

It may backfire on them but then again, it may land them a kid who was considered a ready made star, an accumulator of hard ball and a tall bloke who is capable of kicking 40 if on his game.

how so?
I acknowledged the veterans would all still be very capable players in 2017; I merely suggested that I struggle to see the majority of that group improving next year. When you're the reigning premiers that's not a problem. When you're the 5th or 6th best team in the comp, it's something that needs to be monitored.

Do you think Gunston/Birchall/Smith/Hill have had career-best seasons? I don't. They are a solid-to-very-good tier of players when they're at their best, but that quartet were down this year; they all played patches of good football, but they've all had better years. Can they get back to their best form? All of them?

As to the young talent coming through, I don't see a lot of it, which is a consequence of having a successful core of senior players.
Sicily is a decent third tall.
Schoenmakers, despite a premiership medal, still hasn't come on as hoped.
Hartung might add some grit to his game but he might not.
Not sure what happened with Jonathan O'Rourke.

I don't think any of what I said is unreasonable, nor do I think that Hawthorn will fall off a cliff next year by any means.

Free Agency has changed the way team's manage their lists; Hawthorn and Geelong have been two teams at the forefront of using that mechanism to augment their playing stocks.
While I don't yet think Geelong's list has achieved it's potential, I do think the younger talent they have developed since 2011 has allowed the likes of Caddy, Stanely, Dangerfield, Henderson and Smith to come in and add to a solid base of players like Guthrie, Motlop and Blicavs.

Adding a fit O'Meara, Tom Mitchell and Ty Vickery to the Hawthorn list will certainly add depth and flexibility.
I'm not sure it will be enough for them to make top 4 in 2017 though.
This post is far more articulate than your first, you have raised some valid points and have put them in a better context. Nice work :thumbsu:

However, my issues with your initial post were relating to 'being lucky in 2016' and... 'res-signing older players being hasty' and... questioning whether 'Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne at their best' is good enough and... the 'diminishing form of Gunston, Birchall, Smith and Hill'... Out of all the players you mentioned, I personally think that Hill has been the most disappointing. All the others have performed admirably throughout the season and contributed to us finishing top 4, yet again, in one way or another. And yes, they can all perform at the highest level once again next season. I have no doubts about that.

No doubt we have fallen a peg or two but when you lose your most important player (structurally) in Roughead and combine that with the added pressure of being hunted each and every week, teams striving to match it with the best, then the fact that we got as far as we did having won three flags in a row is a testament to the playing group.

I just find it hilarious that we were literally a kick away from a prelim, with a chance to face a 50/50 battle with the Swans on our home deck to reach the big dance again, and people want to question our club's decision making with regards to re-signing our champs and their desire to succeed. Only time will tell but if we follow in Geelong's footsteps and recruit hard over the summer then we'll still be a force to be reckoned with in 2017. Good luck against the $wannies next week, hope you bash the crap out of each other :D

Been thinking about this over the last week.

When the Roo's made the "tough" decision on their 4 veterans, everyone derided their handling of it (not so much the decision), when in reality only really Boomer could be argued as the wrong decision. That handling may have cost them Wells (although time will tell how big a loss that is, and a 2nd round pick is pretty sweet compensation for a 32 year old).

Hawthorn came out soon after with this - almost trying to be on the front foot to promote its image and be in contrast to what North had done.

List management decisions with veterans (especially if champions) are always tough. The Pies have shown how badly it can turn out (even if you can defend almost every decision individually) and that fans don't easily forgive or forget.
The Cats have done pretty well, and the Hawks have done very well up until this year.

But I wonder if this off season, Hawthorn has tried to do too much - and it has backfired with losing Mitchell and Lewis. They tried to keep all the veterans, and bring in 2 gun youngsters, while staying under the cap and keeping everyone happy. (And trying to avoid losing any of your own young talent).

If you want to create cap space - who would you rather lose out of these 5 veterans? I would prioritise Mitchell and Lewis far above those other 3. IMO both Hodge and Gibson are either done, or at the point that they will be clearly done sometime over the next 12 months, and Burgoyne is great when on, but not always there. Lewis and Mitchell are still playing at a high level.
Now unless all 3 guys have only signed on at rookie level (I doubt) - then you'd assume that not resigning them would've gone a long way to creating the cap space that you have created now by sending Lewis and Mitchell away for dump picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn's decision to resign it's older players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back