Hayden or Hussey

Remove this Banner Ad

shanrew

Rookie
May 20, 2005
Other Teams
Melbourne
WHo would be the better choice for the Autralian opening position. Hayden has proved himself over the last 5 years, but has struggled recently. And Hussey has showed us how good he is in ODI's, and has a great first class record over 4 days.

great to see huss get a go but probably wont happen. hayden has survived the ashes speed bump and can look forward to again pummeling mediocre test attacks until england tour here next here.

shanrew said:
WHo would be the better choice for the Autralian opening position. Hayden has proved himself over the last 5 years, but has struggled recently. And Hussey has showed us how good he is in ODI's, and has a great first class record over 4 days.
Well you say Hayden's done well over 5 years, but Hussey's done well the past 4 days :p ;)

I think time is up for Hayden, should have been dropped from the one day side last season during the VB series. He should have been focusing on test cricket since then, but instead his form in ODIs and tests has suffered.

chunkylover said:
great to see huss get a go but probably wont happen. hayden has survived the ashes speed bump and can look forward to again pummeling mediocre test attacks until england tour here next here.

Hayden wouldnt be around much longer after that if he manages to stick around for 06/07 season. (which looks unlikely).

Sunny said:
Hayden wouldnt be around much longer after that if he manages to stick around for 06/07 season. (which looks unlikely).

And you would think Husseys chances would be next to none by then of getting that spot

I believe Hayden must be axed by the end of the summer, no matter what. Langer wont be around much longer due to age, you dont want to replace both openers at once do you?

i can't recall the aussies ever dropping a batsmen with an average over 50. this thread is pointless atm, unless the unthinkable happens.

i do believe his odi career is over though.

pluga_4 said:
i can't recall the aussies ever dropping a batsmen with an average over 50. this thread is pointless atm, unless the unthinkable happens.

i do believe his odi career is over though.
But Eddie makes a valid point. Both openers are aging and at the moment Hayden, apart from 1 effort , has been struggling.

the older players are now being phased out.

lehmann last summer, langer, hayden, marto all only playing one form of the game.

kasper and perhaps hoggy may be done and to a lesser extent dizzy.

warnie and macgill only appear in the test arena.

its really only gilly and mcgrath who are the warriors in both forms, and i say let them decide themselves when they want to finish. they are once in a lifetime players.

pluga_4 said:
the older players are now being phased out.

lehmann last summer, langer, hayden, marto all only playing one form of the game.

kasper and perhaps hoggy may be done and to a lesser extent dizzy.

warnie and macgill only appear in the test arena.

its really only gilly and mcgrath who are the warriors in both forms, and i say let them decide themselves when they want to finish. they are once in a lifetime players.

They are phasing them out, and Hayden is next to go from the Test arena, Marto probably from the one dayers by the end of the summer

As for Gilly, I dont know about totally dropping him, but I reckon Gilly needs to at the least take a break from one form of the game

As impressive as Hussey has been , I just cant see the selectors dropping Hayden for him at test level .
Although Hussey bats top order in domestic cricket I see him as an ideal no.6 at test level .
For Hayden i think he has this summer to turn things around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

weagles_fan said:
Hussey hopefully.Hayden=selfish mofo.
I'd love to hear your explanation of why Hayden is being selfish. :confused:

The selectors pick the side. That's not Hayden's fault. I'm sure he thinks he's still good enough and a return to form is just around the corner. You might disagree, but that doesn't make Hayden selfish. He is given the opportunity to play for his country by the selectors, nobody would dream of knocking that back.

Its not as if he's in Steve Waugh's position or anything.

Hayden will have this summer and that will be it- if he does not perform, Hussey goes in and he is capable of playing anywhere from opener to number 6.

Hussey deserves to be in the test side, but our domestic competition has been littered with deserving batsmen. Hussey playing test cricket - I'll believe it when I see it.

i would choose hussey any day, hayden tries to "impose" himself on sub standard teams and makes runs cause their sub standard but when he played england with a pretty decent attack he was always going out early. he has to learn to change this if he wants to continue or improve his technique to keep the aggression which has helped us win so many games.

lifes_a_blast said:
i would choose hussey any day, hayden tries to "impose" himself on sub standard teams and makes runs cause their sub standard but when he played england with a pretty decent attack he was always going out early. he has to learn to change this if he wants to continue or improve his technique to keep the aggression which has helped us win so many games.
I guess you must have missed his last test innings.

Bombers_Forever said:
Hayden will have this summer and that will be it- if he does not perform, Hussey goes in and he is capable of playing anywhere from opener to number 6.
Mark Nichols asked Hussey the other day where he likes to bat, replying that he likes batting middle order in the onedayers, and openning in the longer form. But to my point i was goin to make, as i've said before i can't stand the way the selectors have ruined some state players chance of ever playing test cricket. I would love to see Hus make the test team but the selectors are bein to loyal to players that have done the hard yards and brought success in India, West Indies, New Zealand, and most tours (except England) on the last few years. They've started to learn their ways by dropping Marto from the test side, mayb katich should be dropped first and bat JL at three and move every1 down a place or at four(remembering he played alot of cricket at three and six). I just think a Hayden Hussey combo might work for now, and blood players like Phil Jaques and get Hodge in soon to. :D

ummmmm only 11 can play in any given match !!

move everyone down 1 spot...wth??? gilly at 8...what a waste!!

LarryLong said:
I guess you must have missed his last test innings.
his faced 303 balls, he would have made only 180 runs without the 138. he knew his carreer was on the line, thats why he didnt play like he normally does.

also when should jaques be brought in, i believe it should be soon so he can get some batting time in the middle with langer, he could learn alot from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayden or Hussey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back