Hobart Stadium: $750 million cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Would've required $100m more from the federal government.

The commercial model estimates that around 5,000 people will travel per game to Hobart.
How much will it cost later to upgrade from 23000 to 31000, and tourism should work harder to attract more then 5000 visitors. I think that number is too low.

How much will it cost later to upgrade from 23000 to 31000
It won't cost the federal government anything. They won't be paying for it, not their problem.

The state government can much more easily commit to it "later" (even if it requires $200m) when the stadium has proven itself as an asset, as seen recently with the Marvel Stadium upgrade. They can't do it now because they said all along they'll only pay 50% max for the initial build.

It won't cost the federal government anything. They won't be paying for it, not their problem.

The state government can much more easily commit to it "later" (even if it requires $200m) when the stadium has proven itself as an asset, as seen recently with the Marvel Stadium upgrade. They can't do it now because they said all along they'll only pay 50% max for the initial build.
I would expect the AFL to pay some of the costs to any upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you expect it though when no other sporting body is expected to put a cent towards stadia?
The AFL contributed to the upgrades of the stadiums in Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Western Sydney, Geelong, Docklands (albeit which it owns), and the initial construction costs in Hobart. It's a reasonable assumption.

The AFL contributed to the upgrades of the stadiums in Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Western Sydney, Geelong, Docklands (albeit which it owns), and the initial construction costs in Hobart. It's a reasonable assumption.
they didnt pay anything to perth

They shouldn't contribute anything until all the other bottom feeders put their hands in their pockets too.

They shouldn't contribute anything until all the other bottom feeders put their hands in their pockets too.
I guess the difference is most sports aren't in a position to do so, whereas the AFL is. And in this Hobart instance it's actively putting requirements, not requests, on the government in the construction of the stadium.

I guess the difference is most sports aren't in a position to do so, whereas the AFL is. And in this Hobart instance it's actively putting requirements, not requests, on the government in the construction of the stadium.
Not true. It was the Tasmanian government's own taskforce in 2019 which actively declared a new CBD-based roofed stadium would be required. The AFL accepted the declaration, indicative of the passive party.

Furthermore, the topic of funding came up in relation to who would pay for a future expansion to 30k seats. The AFL in no way, actively or passively, will ever require such an upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back