News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Confuses me that anyone could possibly be against the suspension handed out. I understand Port Adelaide fans want their player to play but maybe don't ****ing bump somebody into the next time zone and he will not have been suspended.

It was worse than the acts that have resulted in 4 week suspensions, but closer to them in comparison than the 7 weeks given to Webster for what looked far more intentional (although it wasn't graded as such).
You’d be surprised if you looked at Houston’s actions against anything on the 3-4 week range.

Eg How long ago did Kossie Pickett get 2? For a flying shoulder charge?

I need to stop posting as the more i write the more annoyed I get at how bulls**t this penalty is.

Knees to the head is still an interesting debate. BUT when a player is running with the flight of the ball, eyes on the ball and completely open, players who go to smash them into next week need to be suspended.

He deserved the penalty, but so did Maynard and didn't, the inconsistency is shocking.

You’d be surprised if you looked at Houston’s actions against anything on the 3-4 week range.

I need to stop posting as the more i write the more annoyed I get at how bulls**t this penalty is.

The AFL admitted the Pickett charge was wrong and no way would it only get 2 this year try 4 at a minimum.

Houston's bump is the worst hit we've seen this year outside of the Webster bump on Simpkin.

It was dealt with as such.

So if a player flies for a mark and knees an opponent standing under the ball, in the head, and had the option not to do that, what happens?
Marking contests result in 40% of concussions to AFL footballers. Wait for it.

Lowered his body, even the AFL tribunal admitted that.

No one is arguing against the injury from the bump and any penalty wrapped up in that, it’s the luck of what happens afterwards. So many times we see collisions where the player does not hit the ground with their head and get concussed, and no one is calling for 5 matches.

I still can’t believe we’re talking 5 for this, even though I knew as soon as the Melbourne media kicked off their campaign it was never going to be 2 or 3. Have a look at what else has received 5 or more in the past and stack this one up against them. It just doesn’t add up, except the AFL taking a further step towards non contact football.

I do think the issue of whether players will be allowed to fly for marks with their knees up in future is an interesting one.

However, it’s not relevant to this incident.

The AFL has been clear for some time, if players have the choice not to bump, as Houston himself admitted, they expect them to do so.

This isn’t a case of the AFL inventing a suspension after the fact because a concussion occurred. There is a clear expectation that if the option is tackle or bump, you tackle, Houston himself acknowledged that. He chose to go against that clear expectation and a severe concussion resulted. I’m sorry but he’s only got himself to blame.

Houston's bump is the worst hit we've seen this year outside of the Webster bump on Simpkin.

It was dealt with as such.

The AFL tribunal is anti-football.

I thought it was a fair hit. Lowered his shoulder and caught Rankin in the chest, the perfect hip and shoulder. The outcome would have been worse if Houston had not turned side-on both for Rankin and himself with a possible head clash.

One of the best things about football is the hip and shoulder; you should go off and follow a non-contact sport like netball.

Straight to be appeals board we should go. 5 matches for that is as bad as Toby Bedford getting 3. Borderline corrupt.

Didn’t realise that it was incumbent on Port Adelaide to prove that he didn’t get Rankine high, thought it would be required on the AFL to prove he did. I didn’t read anything to this effect apart from a statement from the AFL.

I guess the Victorian club “let me off I wanna play finals” card didn’t work for us. Only good news for Dan is that next time he’ll be with a Victorian club and will probably get off.
“Didn’t realise it was incumbent on Port to prove….”
“thought it would be required on the AFL to prove….”
“I guess the Victorian club…”
How long you been following this competition pal? And how much thinking do you actually do?
Don’t go into law…if you already are…leave!

What about the duty of care to not damage with your knees.
The worst thing this year is Petraccas injury.
Darcy Moore should have been charged for dangerous play, and suspended.

Not against it don’t think that was careless/reckless

5 weeks would be perfectly understandable if it was going to be 5 H&A games, but surely the fact that he’s going to miss a bunch of finals ought to come into it.

I mean surely missing a grand final for instance is worth 5 regular season games on its own, so the difference between 4 and 5 games here could be monumental.

I reckon a 5 game ban now- for a guy who’s team is pretty much guarantee to play at least two finals- is the equivalent of at least a 10 game ban earlier in the season, or in the preseason. Probably more like 12.

It’s seriously harsh and IMO out of proportion.

If “good blokedness” can come into it, surely the certainty that you’ll miss finals ought to.
So what happens when a player who’s team will play finals takes out another player who’s team will play finals but can’t because he’s been knocked out in an extremely dangerous shirtfront?
Double sanctions?
Ridiculous argument.

I do think the issue of whether players will be allowed to fly for marks with their knees up in future is an interesting one.

However, it’s not relevant to this incident.

The AFL has been clear for some time, if players have the choice not to bump, as Houston himself admitted, they expect them to do so.

This isn’t a case of the AFL inventing a suspension after the fact because a concussion occurred. There is a clear expectation that if the option is tackle or bump, you tackle, Houston himself acknowledged that. He chose to go against that clear expectation and a severe concussion resulted. I’m sorry but he’s only got himself to blame.
I think if you're a player you just can't bump like that anymore. He needed to go in for the tackle or hold him up.

Issue is, and I've seen it this year without report so far. What happens when a player aggressively goes in for a tackle and creates a head high incident?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it fascinating Port are crying foul over this.

The AFL has made it well known for at least a decade it will suspend players in these circumstances. Houston knew this going into the bump. Its not a surprise. The AFL are not punishing Port for fun. Houston royally screwed up. He also failed to show any remorse and his statement about reaching out to Rankine added more fuel to the fire that he really didnt care.

Also he clearly hit Rankine high. The back of his shoulder hit him in the head and he lifted himself into the hit. He didnt jump but he made sure to hit Rankine with force. He may not have intended to hit him in the head or knock him out but he did. All could have been prevented with a tackle.

He is lucky to receive 5 imo. Players clearly arent paying attention to the AFL directive not to hit opponents in the head either by their own body or by the ground. I think players will be on notice next year. Could end up being 10 weeks if this continues.

I think if you're a player you just can't bump like that anymore. He needed to go in for the tackle or hold him up.

Issue is, and I've seen it this year without report so far. What happens when a player aggressively goes in for a tackle and creates a head high incident?

Proper tackle technique lowers your body. Worrell did one earlier in the match where he could have done the same thing, a port player had jumped right in front of him, worrell chose to tackle him instead of running through him, which had he chosen to could have launched the port player uncontrollably into the fence and the ground. A tackle would have allowed for greater control.

He was always going to get games, but players are also losing the art of protecting themselves.

Houston was going for the ball until the last millisecond, of course instinct is to protect himself, it’s natural. Rankine could have turned side on, lifted his knees or foot AKa Toby Greene.

The AFL is making players lazy. I’m not saying do not protect the player but players need to still protect themselves. However this issue is just AFL but life in general.

I suspect we’re going to get players going in half hearted now to avoid injuring and suspension. That’s not a contact sport mentality

The AFL tribunal is anti-football.

I thought it was a fair hit. Lowered his shoulder and caught Rankin in the chest, the perfect hip and shoulder. The outcome would have been worse if Houston had not turned side-on both for Rankin and himself with a possible head clash.

One of the best things about football is the hip and shoulder; you should go off and follow a non-contact sport like netball.
Look, I know you love your footy and so do I, that's why we're both here. I love rough and tough footy, I love big hits and I love strong tackles. Don't try to insult me by saying I should try to watch a non-contact sport like netball, it's a poor thing to say and adds nothing to having a proper discussion.

The game is never going to be completely safe, but it can be made safer, if it isn't made safer, the games existence is simply unsustainable. The rules are set out in a way that if you bump and cause a concussion (even if you don't hit the head) you are liable for what happens.

He was always going to get games, but players are also losing the art of protecting themselves.

Houston was going for the ball until the last millisecond, of course instinct is to protect himself, it’s natural. Rankine could have turned side on, lifted his knees or foot AKa Toby Greene.

The AFL is making players lazy. I’m not saying do not protect the player but players need to still protect themselves. However this issue is just AFL but life in general.

I suspect we’re going to get players going in half hearted now to avoid injuring and suspension. That’s not a contact sport mentality
We're going to see more players back out of contests.

Rankine's eye was on the ball in the air, only Houston was able to protect himself with his shoulder.

Houston robbed

Hopefully Kochie appeals

So you’re saying it’s all last second stuff for Houston and couldn’t change his action but Rankine could’ve and should’ve ….seriously baked on bullshit you’re sprouting.

Lol off the ball hit to an unexpecting player. Thug
Bump to checked a player which occurs countless times off ball in a game but lead with his hip instead of stationary and cause a clause of head, Rankine deserved the suspension (harshly as the concussion was caused by the accidental head class).

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back