News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

tbh i wouldn't be surprised if it got 6, dont see 6 + though.

its not as bad as websters, but still pretty bad

Correct. They also cheered and jeered when Sloane ironed out Dangerfield in their last finals win and gave him a mozz as he came off the ground. The projection and hypocrisy is hilarious.
Did Dangerfield, Allir or Jones get taken off on a stretcher and they were cheered and booed???? I don't recall any home crowd cheered and booed an opposition player getting taken off in a stretcher ever, do you???? Outside of what happened to Rankine of course. Also, did you read your Game Day thread when Rankine was KO by Houston????

Yeah, and when Aliir and Jones went down in your showdown your feral supporters made plenty of noise, I was sitting in some of your premium seating so not like they were GA bottom feeders either.
Theres good and bad in all.
I thought the boo was toward Aliir when he was about to re-enter the ground after being clearly concuss so the boo was directed at your medical doctor???

geez

If an Essendon player hit another player like this hope id be defending it less than someone these Port blokes.

Poor form.

Some astute observations as always from the great Titus O'Reily:

The big moment of the night was when Dan Houston knocked out Izak Rankine with a huge bump to the head.
This being the modern AFL, the umpires waved ‘play on’ as Rankine distressingly thrashed on the ground.
Jason Horne-Francis ended up with the ball and kicked a goal.
How, in a time when looking at a player above their shoulders results in a high contact free kick, was this not called?
Not since Christian Petracca was sent back on the field have I seen such a bad decision.
I’m looking forward to seeing how the AFL declares the umpire made the right decision while also suspending Houston for five weeks.

🤦‍♂️
Didn't JHF's kick fall short?

geez

If an Essendon player hit another player like this hope id be defending it less than someone these Port blokes.

Poor form.

Whenever Port talk about why they’re hated so much in SA they always bring up factors like how successful and how big they are. Yes that is all true, but they never seem to reference that one of the big reasons they are hated is shit like this:

I thought the boo was toward Aliir when he was about to re-enter the ground after being clearly concuss so the boo was directed at your medical doctor???
Who knows, Showdowns seem to bring out the worst in fans, it is easily the hottest contest in AFL on and off field.
Saturday night had an off vibe from early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1-png.2084509
Why does everyone keep posting this photo as evidence of head contact when you can:
1. See Rankines head casting a shadow on Houstons back.
2. See that both of Rankines feet (and therefore head) are behind Houston.

This photo is after contact was made. I do think Rankines head likely jolted down and made contact with the back of Houston's shoulder during the bump but this still doesn't prove anything.

Why does everyone keep posting this photo as evidence of head contact when you can:
1. See Rankines head casting a shadow on Houstons back.
2. See that both of Rankines feet (and therefore head) are behind Houston.

This photo is after contact was made. I do think Rankines head likely jolted down and made contact with the back of Houston's shoulder during the bump but this still doesn't prove anything.

That’s the whole point. If you choose to bump you are responsible for any head contact. We saw that with Parker and we saw that with Rankine.

It does not matter whether initial contact was in the chest or not.

The whole point people are missing is that a hip and shoulder at high speed is a very dangerous option, partly because of all the variables you can’t control. The AFL keeps saying, and this is something they’re 100% right on, that players have a duty of care to each other.

Houston had other options. He chose the option that put Rankine in the most danger. Whether the head injury came from shoulder to head contact, through whiplash, through Rankine’s head jolting into Houston, his head hitting the ground or a combination of all of them, Houston is at fault.

As a neutral, I see a charge that resulted in a bad injury.

Doesn't look like a deliberate high hit and the argument he did not hit high at all are persuasive.

Is he guilty of some sort of rough play/charging? Looks like it, Houston clobbered Rankine just a tiny bit late.

The result of the hit comes into play with sentencing (and fair enough), it ended up very badly for Rankine so add some weeks to a rough play charge.

I'm seeing hysteria ITT, calm down maybe, next week the roles may be reversed.

As for racism, Pies and Hawks have you all covered easily.

FMD, a Port supporter taking the high moral ground when it comes to supporters throwing out the racist comments.

Racist actions have been committed by both supporters yet you only seem to care when it's Port and NOT your own mob... go figure

ReMeMbER ThE BaNAnA!
Yeah because the coward got their membership removed after that match not to mention this happened 7 years ago now and your Rioli treatment happened only last weekend. But it's not a Port fan so obviously you refuse to acknowledge. Because your supporters are just SO perfect and likeable aren't they :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
In that Exact game game you guys dished out horrible messages to Paddy Ryder... which you once again refuse to admit to
You've already got the bigger track record of racism in total incidents so keep crying.
This thread is supposed to be about the Houston hit anyway, but as we can see we win ONE showdown and you crybabies lose all your self restraint and composure lmao

So by the sounds of it the AFL will argue for 5 matches at the tribunal.

The AFL should not be allowed to argue for anything.

it has gone to a tribunal where they should have some guidelines that fit this type of action. Then simply award the penalty for these guidelines.
Far out the AFL love making very simply things complicated.

That’s the whole point. If you choose to bump you are responsible for any head contact. We saw that with Parker and we saw that with Rankine.

It does not matter whether initial contact was in the chest or not.

The whole point people are missing is that a hip and shoulder at high speed is a very dangerous option, partly because of all the variables you can’t control. The AFL keeps saying, and this is something they’re 100% right on, that players have a duty of care to each other.

Houston had other options. He chose the option that put Rankine in the most danger. Whether the head injury came from shoulder to head contact, through whiplash, through Rankine’s head jolting into Houston, his head hitting the ground or a combination of all of them, Houston is at fault.
No, I think youre missing the point.
No one is suggesting Dan wont get weeks, for the very reasons you put forward.
The dispute is over intent and the mechanics of the concussion.
It was a poorly executed in play bump by an otherwise fair player that didnt necessarily hit him high, he will get weeks but doesnt deserve the 6 some lunatics are calling for.

No, I think youre missing the point.
No one is suggesting Dan wont get weeks, for the very reasons you put forward.
The dispute is over intent and the mechanics of the concussion.
It was a poorly executed in play bump by an otherwise fair player that didnt necessarily hit him high, he will get weeks but doesnt deserve the 6 some lunatics are calling for.
Why not if the AFL want to continue to stamp out front on bump where only the opposition player can be severely injured? I haven't seen one for years like Houston did at pace.

Why not if the AFL want to continue to stamp out front on bump where only the opposition player can be severely injured? I haven't seen one for years like Houston did at pace.
Then ban it altogether.

As I said before and Andrew Jarman mentioned yesterday on his radio segment, players dont execute it well enough, nor do they protect themselves well enough anymore because it is seldom used, but because it can be used, we occassionally see bad outcomes.

Lets be honest, they profess to care, but wont protect players by outlawing it altogether in case they upset the 'fabric of the game' crew.

Then ban it altogether.

As I said before and Andrew Jarman mentioned yesterday on his radio segment, players dont execute it well enough, nor do they protect themselves well enough anymore because it is seldom used, but because it can be used, we occassionally see bad outcomes.

Lets be honest, they profess to care, but wont protect players by outlawing it altogether in case they upset the 'fabric of the game' crew.
Rightfully so.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back