How did you find Big Footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering how you found big footy.

Myself, I was told about it by a friend in 2006-2007. Had no idea what a forum was so was reluctant to sign up for a while.

Especially the new ones, have any of you found us through social media or the like?

Mistyped a google search and saw the Didaka thread the day he lost his fight. There must have been a lot of traffic going to it that day.

There seemed to be what looked like a really intelligent, thoughtful and well-grounded collection of Collingwood supporters, which made me think perhaps I should dig around a bit more. Looking back it was pretty serendipitous.

When I was playing footy a few boys there were talking about it. At first when I looked I thought it was just local league chat/banter, which I did for about 6 months before I came on the Melbourne board

they did a story about footy internet forums in The Age in early 07, it sounded interesting so i joined up

Was on Demonland and TAE for a while before I heard about BigFooty off both of them and found it was far better. ;)

Many Google searches have led here too, just never bothered actually checking out the site.

A few years back? Probably 2007ish i decided to look for a Melbourne Footy board as I had never found one...

Went to one of the Demon**** boards and found 1 page with 200 posts on it stupid... so kept looking and found here. Decided to sign up half a year later when I had something to say...

Back in 2007 when Akermanis hinted at a player using performance enhancing drugs I did a search to see who he was talking about. My search took me to BF where someone mentioned Braun as the alleged player Aker was referring to. Looked around the place and the rest is history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to show my age here as this is going back almost 11 years!

I posted for a very short time on an old forum that was on the Melbourne website. It was rubbish as people talked complete and utter crap (much like other Melbourne sites these days) and someone suggested I come over here. The rest is history.

I wish many of the posters here had been around in those days. There were some terrific people around on all the boards and the trolls were actual trolls who could annoy and make you smile in equal amounts. There are far too many here these days and none of them are clever in the slightest.

Like most people here got a recommendation from a friend (BF alias 'Ize of the World', hangs out on the Richmond board) and joined up.

I remember thinking Bay 13 was the funniest thing going around for about a month or two before I realised that a) they just recycle all the same jokes constantly and b) most of the posters are about 12/13 years old on incredible ego trips.

BF is basically my source of news for both AFL and other things i.e. movies, TV shows, music, pop culture and the like. I probably spend as much time on those other boards as on the Melbourne board. Plenty of immaturity there sure but also lots of good posters. 90% of the time I discover a YouTube video, meme, movie, book, band etc it's from BigFooty. I reckon if I had to choose between FB and BF (never noticed the reverse acronym before!!) I'd go with BF. More variety.

Long story. Bigfooty came up a lot when trying to find news of trade week 2009. A workmate had told me he'd spoken to Shane Mumford's mum (Mummy's mummy, LOL!) and Melbourne was one of about 3 clubs who had offered him a contract for $300k a year. Signed up to post said info.
Didn't work out for us in the end, but I've been hooked on BF since.

A bit over a year and a half to go until I get veteran status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back