Moved Thread how do you rate and compare the past two premiers?

Which of these teams have the worst premiership winning list in AFL history?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Lots of talk regarding the last two grand final winners and their respective skills and abilities.

The competition has shifted from a lot of strength and muscle at the top end to a evenly panned out competition that provides more depth at the bottom end.

Salary caps on club administration spending and the introduction of two new teams being the main reasons behind the shift towards equality.

With all that said; how do you compare the past two premiers in the western bulldogs and Richmond to previous years premiers??

Do you rate them similar or less ability wise?

A little like this:

6d13b81bd02d39b7e85948f741797fc9

They were both able to grind out premierships with a combination of a better game plan and a squad who completely bought into it. Watch any of the finals games from both sides in the last 2 Septembers. You cannot coach or teach the manic pressure and sheer desire to win the contest that both teams showed in the last 2 seasons.

The only way I compare the two is by the impact it had on the footy and sporting world. I was shocked to hear Gerard Healy state that 'The Dogs flag was amazing, but Richmonds was just a much bigger deal'. If the Dogs hadn't completely flipped the usual formula on its head, I doubt the Tigers of 2017 would have gone in with the same belief. May cop flack for this comment, but without the 2016 Western Bulldogs premiership, there is no Richmond 2017 premiership.

In a more basic nutshell... Richmond had more stars, but the Dogs had a better team. A spine of Dickson, Cordy (11 career games at the time), Hamling and Roberts won the flag. That is absurd to think about.

They were both able to grind out premierships with a combination of a better game plan and a squad who completely bought into it. Watch any of the finals games from both sides in the last 2 Septembers. You cannot coach or teach the manic pressure and sheer desire to win the contest that both teams showed in the last 2 seasons.

The only way I compare the two is by the impact it had on the footy and sporting world. I was shocked to hear Gerard Healy state that 'The Dogs flag was amazing, but Richmonds was just a much bigger deal'. If the Dogs hadn't completely flipped the usual formula on its head, I doubt the Tigers of 2017 would have gone in with the same belief. May cop flack for this comment, but without the 2016 Western Bulldogs premiership, there is no Richmond 2017 premiership.

In a more basic nutshell... Richmond had more stars, but the Dogs had a better team. A spine of Dickson, Cordy (11 career games at the time), Hamling and Roberts won the flag. That is absurd to think about.

Is quite a drop in premiership standards from what we have seen primarily from 07-11.

We had three runner ups that won 20 games or more for the season which is insane when you think about it. ( Geelong 08, Collingwood 11, St Kilda 09)

Quite a few of the top four sides from those years would also easily take out the flag the past two years.

Don’t understand the need to constantly try and talk down winners.

They won, that’s enough.

Richmond for me were the better side, they didn’t have to play ‘above themselves’ as much as the Dogs but hey, both deserved it

They did deserve it, not talking them down either, simply comparing them to other premiership teams and sides gone by over the last few years.

Comparing and running down are different things.

Better than winning it by cheating the salary cap

Cool your jets.

You blokes we're flaky last year before getting a dream run in the finals. You got 3 x non melbourne based teams in a row, all at your home ground, making them effectively home grounds for you. You cant ask for much more than that unless you're Collingwood. Adelaide were the better team all year, but you were the better team on the day. Kudos.

I was actually barracking for you.

Still; I cant really see you blokes becoming a dominant side for the next few years like Geelong and the Hawks.

The Dogs got through their finals to win it from the bottom of the eight on grit alone (and some very favorable umpiring). Boyd played the game of his life in the GF (despite doing nothing before - or since - of note), and again they were the better side on the day. Kudos to them.

I dont see anything in either side that makes me go 'they look unbeatable'. Certainly in each sides respective premiership years neither side looked like worldbeaters, untill it eventually turned out they were.

Th Dogs dropped back down the year after winning it, and I wouldnt be surprised if the Tigers dont this year also.

We can only compare premiership teams when the players have finished their careers really.
And only by comparing their respective opponents during their finals run.
I really can't compare Hawthorn 2008,13,14,15 with 1983,86,88,89,91.
As a guide the best team (champion players or not) usually wins the big dance.
cheers everyone

Oh look, another post by a Geelong supporter questioning the merit of the dogs and tigers flags. How original

lol, any other club wins a flag and their supporters would love threads like this but inferiority is and will always be in your DNA :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP is asking to compare the pair.

Dogs win on reflection seems more out of the box whereas Tigers had a traditionally slower build up over preceeding years having made finals 3 of previous 4 years.

Also Tigers were for nearly all of the year the most consistent side in the competition.

Given all that id have them ahead of the Dogs

All pointless discussion really as the reward is the same - 1 well earned and celebrated flag.

Not because I'm a tiger supporter but I haven't seen a side dominate a finals series for a long time like tigers did all games they were the best team in the finals by a mile.

To people who say we had a dream run we still had to do the hard work win against the top team of league and most talented rated the crows and gws and yeah the cats who all of a sudden whinge about a home final when they didn't mention a word in there glory days winning everything at the G.

What makes me laugh is players and clubs and fans just think tigers team are bunch of hard workers and they can replicate.Dunstall and Brown mentioned this he said that is wrong alot of talent there.

Cool your jets.

You blokes we're flaky last year before getting a dream run in the finals. You got 3 x non melbourne based teams in a row, all at your home ground, making them effectively home grounds for you. You cant ask for much more than that unless you're Collingwood. Adelaide were the better team all year, but you were the better team on the day. Kudos.

I was actually barracking for you.

Still; I cant really see you blokes becoming a dominant side for the next few years like Geelong and the Hawks.

The Dogs got through their finals to win it from the bottom of the eight on grit alone (and some very favorable umpiring). Boyd played the game of his life in the GF (despite doing nothing before - or since - of note), and again they were the better side on the day. Kudos to them.

I dont see anything in either side that makes me go 'they look unbeatable'. Certainly in each sides respective premiership years neither side looked like worldbeaters, untill it eventually turned out they were.

Th Dogs dropped back down the year after winning it, and I wouldnt be surprised if the Tigers dont this year also.
Adelaide were only better then Richmond last year during the first month and a half after the halfway point of the year and the lead up to finals Richmond were in clearly better form and if Richmond had won just one of the three games they lost by under a goal in a row they would have been minor premiers

Adelaide were only better then Richmond last year during the first month and a half after the halfway point of the year and the lead up to finals Richmond were in clearly better form and if Richmond had won just one of the three games they lost by under a goal in a row they would have been minor premiers

Adelaide were clearly the better side last year. Run a poll if you don't believe me.

That takes nothing away from Richmonds flag. In a way it even enhances it.

But that said, you guys got a dream run come September. Not taking anything away from you, a bit of luck helps sometimes. Heck Carltons last GF appearance in '99 we only got in due to the AFL ripping off West Coast (they changed the rules the year after) and then knocking over Essendon in the Prelim by a point (and Essendon that year were also clearly better than us).

My point was, I still dont see Richmond as a dominant side notwithstanding your premiership last year.

Adelaide were clearly the better side last year. Run a poll if you don't believe me.

That takes nothing away from Richmonds flag. In a way it even enhances it.

But that said, you guys got a dream run come September. Not taking anything away from you, a bit of luck helps sometimes. Heck Carltons last GF appearance in '99 we only got in due to the AFL ripping off West Coast (they changed the rules the year after) and then knocking over Essendon in the Prelim by a point (and Essendon that year were also clearly better than us).

My point was, I still dont see Richmond as a dominant side notwithstanding your premiership last year.
Adelaide were better in the first month and a half of the season by the finals Richmond were better in the last 4 games before finals Richmond went 3 - 1 with a percentage of 157.9 while Adelaide went 2 - 2 with a percentage of 130.7 Adelaide were running out of steam by the finals while Richmond went to another level

OP is asking to compare the pair.

Dogs win on reflection seems more out of the box whereas Tigers had a traditionally slower build up over preceeding years having made finals 3 of previous 4 years.

Also Tigers were for nearly all of the year the most consistent side in the competition.

Given all that id have them ahead of the Dogs

All pointless discussion really as the reward is the same - 1 well earned and celebrated flag.
Sorry if it wasn’t clear.

Asking to compare them both to previous years premiers and top sides. Not each other.

Oh look, another post by a Geelong supporter questioning the merit of the dogs and tigers flags. How original

Hey, a flag is a flag, well done.

I am posting quite a wide spread belief regarding both the flags won the past two seasons. This is not some exclusive Geelong opinion mate.

A lot regard them as some of the worst premiership teams skill and talent wise.

Due to the factors mentioned in the original post, this may well be a trend that continues

Hey, a flag is a flag, well done.

I am posting quite a wide spread belief regarding both the flags won the past two seasons. This is not some exclusive Geelong opinion mate.

A lot regard them as some of the worst premiership teams skill and talent wise.

Due to the factors mentioned in the original post, this may well be a trend that continues

You said it a flag is flag.If you know your footy players and clubs couldn't care less what people think cause there so hard to win.

Best midfielder and player in competition and fullback,elite FF and another gun midfielder strange comment.

Last edited:
Adelaide were better in the first month and a half of the season by the finals Richmond were better in the last 4 games before finals Richmond went 3 - 1 with a percentage of 157.9 while Adelaide went 2 - 2 with a percentage of 130.7 Adelaide were running out of steam by the finals while Richmond went to another level

Must take into account the injury run Richmond has. They hardly had an injured player on their entire list the majority of the year. Incredible luck on the injury front

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread how do you rate and compare the past two premiers?

Back