Moved Thread how do you rate and compare the past two premiers?

Which of these teams have the worst premiership winning list in AFL history?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You said it a flag is flag.If you know your footy players and clubs couldn't care less what people think cause there so hard to win.

Agree, they couldn’t care less, I wouldn’t.

You take theM anyway you can get them.

The point of the thread is the narrative around the two sides in comparison to previous years premiership teams and top teams. Regarding the drop in standard at the top of the ladder.

Is quite a drop in premiership standards from what we have seen primarily from 07-11.

We had three runner ups that won 20 games or more for the season which is insane when you think about it. ( Geelong 08, Collingwood 11, St Kilda 09)

Quite a few of the top four sides from those years would also easily take out the flag the past two years.

What you meant to say was that there were three sides who looked great during the H&A season but couldn't raise their game sufficiently to win finals - which is rather the main point of the exercise.

The Bulldogs and Richmond of the last two years would have shown them up again to be mentally weak under finals pressure. Both those sides showed fantastic finals form - Dogs by winning 4 in a row including 2 interstate, Richmond by thrashing every other top-4 opponent.

If you want to claim Geelong 08, St Kilda 09 and Collingwood 11 were better H&A sides than Richmond or the Dogs, I won't argue - but my point would be 'So what'?

What you meant to say was that there were three sides who looked great during the H&A season but couldn't raise their game sufficiently to win finals - which is rather the main point of the exercise.

The Bulldogs and Richmond of the last two years would have shown them up again to be mentally weak under finals pressure. Both those sides showed fantastic finals form - Dogs by winning 4 in a row including 2 interstate, Richmond by thrashing every other top-4 opponent.

If you want to claim Geelong 08, St Kilda 09 and Collingwood 11 were better H&A sides than Richmond or the Dogs, I won't argue - but my point would be 'So what'?

Those sides would have easily beaten Richmond for the flag purely due to the massive difference in ability and talent, pressure wouldn’t age even come into it.

That’s like saying the pressure of first playing 8th best team in the AFL would get too much for them.

It isn’t a factor with such a big gap in ability on the field.

Would say probably all the top four sides from 08-11 would have beaten Richmond based on ability

So a devalued Flag from BF keyboard warriors for Tiges and yet another thread designed to bait WB and Tiger supporters.....will a flag be worth anything in the future? Wait till a real football team like Geelong Hawthorn or Collingwood win....pffft

Last edited:
I reckon other teams couldn't rise to the occasion had a big factor crows and gws and cats to.Failed to lift there game in the finals and tigers were the only one who did.Haven't seen a club dominate a final series like tigers did for a long time.

Oh look, another post by a Geelong supporter questioning the merit of the dogs and tigers flags. How original

Better than winning it by cheating the salary cap

our flag and dogs flag was way better than geelong's and hawktron. there were only 1 or 2 other good teams in their years so they could cruise through to the finals fresh and ready to go. outside carlton and gold coast the comp is way more even now so you never really know if you're gonna win each week

Cool your jets.

You blokes we're flaky last year before getting a dream run in the finals. You got 3 x non melbourne based teams in a row, all at your home ground, making them effectively home grounds for you. You cant ask for much more than that unless you're Collingwood. Adelaide were the better team all year, but you were the better team on the day. Kudos.

I was actually barracking for you.

Still; I cant really see you blokes becoming a dominant side for the next few years like Geelong and the Hawks.

The Dogs got through their finals to win it from the bottom of the eight on grit alone (and some very favorable umpiring). Boyd played the game of his life in the GF (despite doing nothing before - or since - of note), and again they were the better side on the day. Kudos to them.

I dont see anything in either side that makes me go 'they look unbeatable'. Certainly in each sides respective premiership years neither side looked like worldbeaters, untill it eventually turned out they were.

Th Dogs dropped back down the year after winning it, and I wouldnt be surprised if the Tigers dont this year also.

I mean that first statement is so misleading considering how much they won by in every one of those games. They didn't just win - they absolutely pummeled all 3 teams. None of them were flukes - Richmond played a high pressure game style built for finals footy, only really got smashed twice in the H/A season (note: basically every team in the top 8 got smashed multiple times), and at the end of the day winded up having the most wins in the season.

Not only that, but Richmond deliberately played in a way to counter Adelaide's gamestyle, while the Crows (reasonably) backed themselves in. It didn't work for the Crows, who had shown cracks throughout the H/A season, particularly in away games.

I rate them very highly. They overcome adversity and lots of deep, dark mental demons. What the Bulldogs did from 7th is inconprehendable. Look at who they beat.

WCE - in Perth after they beat GWS, the Hawks and Adelaide. GWS and Adelaide were away, and crows needed to win to get top 4. Eagles were the form team going into the finals. Many thought it was a question of how much the eagles would win by. 8 goals later.......

They then beat the 3 time reigning champs. GWS in Sydney and then beat the top team in the granny. Mentally tougher than anyone in the history of the game in a finals series. I don't care what happens in the regular season.

Richmonds story wasn't like the dogs, but they choked year in year out and were a laughing stock. No finals wins in 16 years. Chokes against GWS and Freo in successive weeks it looked like same old Richmond. Come the finals no one got near them. No one. All top 4 sides too. Richmond beat them and beat them in a canter. No contest.

Awesome sides. Ferocious. Mentally tough. They did it when it matters, the championship rounds in the championship fights.

They weren't point sparring that's for sure. Knocked their opponents the **** out.

Game Over.

Those sides would have easily beaten Richmond for the flag purely due to the massive difference in ability and talent, pressure wouldn’t age even come into it.

That’s like saying the pressure of first playing 8th best team in the AFL would get too much for them.

Would say probably all the top four sides from 08-11 would have beaten Richmond based on ability

You're clutching at straws, desperately trying to justify your position. Geelong 08 were probably the hottest favorite in years - their H&A season was exceptional except for one glitch. The won 2 games by less than 10 points - both interstate. They clearly had the best talent - and there was a pretty serious gap between them and anyone else. In the 3 years 2007-2009 they won 57 H&A games. Hawthorn only won 39.

"Pressure isn’t a factor with such a big gap in ability on the field." Now who said that?

Geelong cracked under pressure in the 2008 GF. And they probably would have also cracked under pressure from the 2016 Dogs or the 2017 Tigers.

I don’t know man, I watched the prelim between Tigers and GWS the other day and I really didn’t see it the first time, but GWS were moving the ball in a fast and highly skilled manner. Seriously, I was saying to myself, how did we win this. They were going straight down the centre every time. Watch it for yourself, the Tigers didn’t look anywhere as good, but somehow we ended up taking them to the cleaners. Honestly, it made me take off my rose coloured glasses about the Tigers. Having said they were brilliant on GF day and didn’t let the Crows play that way.

A little like this:

6d13b81bd02d39b7e85948f741797fc9

Carlton supporters shouldn’t be questioning the quality of the current premiership side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly our premiership side didn’t have the talent and ability of other premiership sides over the course of the season. In saying that, the way we played over that month, I would’ve backed us to potentially beat any other premier. You can win single games based on determination and effort alone. It’s all a moot point though, as there’s no way of ever knowing.

Cool your jets.

You blokes we're flaky last year before getting a dream run in the finals. You got 3 x non melbourne based teams in a row, all at your home ground, making them effectively home grounds for you. You cant ask for much more than that unless you're Collingwood. Adelaide were the better team all year, but you were the better team on the day. Kudos.

I was actually barracking for you.

Still; I cant really see you blokes becoming a dominant side for the next few years like Geelong and the Hawks.

The Dogs got through their finals to win it from the bottom of the eight on grit alone (and some very favorable umpiring). Boyd played the game of his life in the GF (despite doing nothing before - or since - of note), and again they were the better side on the day. Kudos to them.

I dont see anything in either side that makes me go 'they look unbeatable'. Certainly in each sides respective premiership years neither side looked like worldbeaters, untill it eventually turned out they were.

Th Dogs dropped back down the year after winning it, and I wouldnt be surprised if the Tigers dont this year also.

Haha, still cant believe with the shit you blue mods get away with. Every post that is about the tigers you blatantly troll. You say we were flaky, yet we only lost 7 games, 4 of which by under a kick. We consistently went on 3-4 game winning runs before drooping the odd game. The crows and cats only lost one less game then us for the whole year.

Only a idiot would honestly believe you fluke a flag, yet by your pic to obviously again troll us, you prove that point lol

And until finals with losing Brodie Smith you could say the same about Adelaide

Mitch McGovern missed a big chunk and was lost for the prelim and GF, ..Eddie Betts appendix, Rory Sloane appendix, Josh Jenkins missed a chunk of time with a rib injury...and that’s just off the top of my head....it’s always good to do some research before posting.

Not every premiership team becomes an amazing dynasty. We've seen a few strong ones over the years but there's a reason Bulldogs and Tigers won from 15 win H&A seasons - they aren't that strong.

Equalisation is hitting the comp and the best teams aren't as far above the rest anymore. I think it would have hit earlier but GWS and Gold Coast took all the picks when they came in allowing the status quo to be maintained for longer because teams at the bottom struggled to bring in as much elite talent.

Without the fierce hunger that Tigers had in 2017 I think they will go back to the pack. Just another side vying for a spot in the 8. Just like the Bulldogs in 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if they start with a run of losses too. Their players have not had to deal with going late into the finals before. Teams will also figure them out. The no second key forward thing is just a passing trend and is not the way of the future.

Adelaide were better in the first month and a half of the season by the finals Richmond were better in the last 4 games before finals Richmond went 3 - 1 with a percentage of 157.9 while Adelaide went 2 - 2 with a percentage of 130.7 Adelaide were running out of steam by the finals while Richmond went to another level

You’re aware that we rested players for our dead rubber away game against West Coast?????

Adelaide were only better then Richmond last year during the first month and a half after the halfway point of the year and the lead up to finals Richmond were in clearly better form and if Richmond had won just one of the three games they lost by under a goal in a row they would have been minor premiers

But you didn’t and what about the teams who finished above you. Have you looked at close games they lost? What if they’d won those? What if the Crows didn’t rest players for their dead rubber game in round 23? There’s all kinds of biased holes in your argument.

Adelaide were only better then Richmond last year during the first month and a half after the halfway point of the year and the lead up to finals Richmond were in clearly better form and if Richmond had won just one of the three games they lost by under a goal in a row they would have been minor premiers

That’s pure opinion that Richmond were better. So many factors to be taken into account such as the draw, our injuries during that period, our training loads, etc etc.

Not because I'm a tiger supporter but I haven't seen a side dominate a finals series for a long time like tigers did all games they were the best team in the finals by a mile.

To people who say we had a dream run we still had to do the hard work win against the top team of league and most talented rated the crows and gws and yeah the cats who all of a sudden whinge about a home final when they didn't mention a word in there glory days winning everything at the G.

What makes me laugh is players and clubs and fans just think tigers team are bunch of hard workers and they can replicate.Dunstall and Brown mentioned this he said that is wrong alot of talent there.

You also played all your finals at your home ground. No travel for you in finals, no away games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread how do you rate and compare the past two premiers?

Back