Moved Thread how do you rate and compare the past two premiers?

Which of these teams have the worst premiership winning list in AFL history?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, I'm allowed to hold my view that the Dogs and Tiger premierships were unlikely victories by teams no-one actually thought would win the thing, until they did.

Good on them and all, and I cant say I'm not envious.

No, that's not bullshit. That's what happened. It was a dream run. I was posting and reading the thread on the Richmond board, and even they thought it was a dream run. Three home games at the 'G, avoiding playing Geelong at Kardinia (even though the Cats finished higher), GWS with their barely 10,000 supporters (if that), and then Adelaide.

You play who you play, and you beat who you beat, but that's a dream run for a team like Richmond or even Collingwood who play at the 'G no matter which way you frame it.

Call it as I see it. I don't care for the Dogs one way or another, and as a neutral I thought they got a good run with the umps all through that finals series. I couldnt help but shake the feeling that the umps got a bit swept up in 'feel good Bulldog mania.'

Again; my opinion and I'm entitled to it. And it's not one I am alone in holding either.
Sure you can hold your view, but it’ll get criticised no doubt.

I’ve yet to see a Richmond fan on BF agree it was a dream run, but anyway. What’s all this ‘Geelong at KP’ crap? Come on mate. Do you seriously think that Geelong can only win there? Geelong have been winning finals at the G since 1989. If KP was such sacred ground, how do you explain 07,09,11? I mean come on. Seriously. Go and look at the MCG record of Geelong in finals. That’s just flaky.

You can’t be neutral and say you don’t care for the Dogs one way or another. You’re providing a stance right there in that very statement. You’ve tangled yourself up.

I couldn’t help but shake the feeling that Sydney selected two unfit players in McVeigh and Mills who did nothing in 2016. Cue the Prestigiacomo and Stokes stories.

I also think putting pictures of Bradbury up is a pretty piss poor standard. Don’t they call it trolling?

Last edited:
No your kidding. Mods should set a standard and you lower it. You put a pic of a bloke who assed a gold medal by his opponents falling over.

The tigers smashed 1st 2nd and 3rd placed sides in finals where the caliber of a side is questioned and did it not with just a dower defence but with a blistering offense.

Yet you put up a pic to get bites like a common troll.

Its great we can clearly see the two diffrent rule sets applied when it comes to disrespecting the tigers.

Bravo
Well said.

You said it a flag is flag.If you know your footy players and clubs couldn't care less what people think cause there so hard to win.

Best midfielder and player in competition and fullback,elite FF and another gun midfielder strange comment.

Will ask since I saw the edit down the bottom, which premiership team of recent years talent wise do you think Richmond is better than?? Go back as far as you need to give an answer.

No your kidding. Mods should set a standard and you lower it. You put a pic of a bloke who assed a gold medal by his opponents falling over.

The tigers smashed 1st 2nd and 3rd placed sides in finals where the caliber of a side is questioned and did it not with just a dower defence but with a blistering offense.

Yet you put up a pic to get bites like a common troll.

Its great we can clearly see the two diffrent rule sets applied when it comes to disrespecting the tigers.

Bravo
Agree. Standards on this board are nearing the levels of the bay.
It’s a shame these repetitive threads continue to be trolled and supported by moderators on this board. It’s just the same boring argument over and over.

This is the biggest load of rubbish on the main board, again. The fact it’s allowed to perpetuate and descend into a folly of trolling, insults, ridiculous comparisons and discussions is beyond me. You’ve even got a moderator chiming in to drag the thread further down the river.

A premiership is a premiership folks. At the end of the day it matters little how you get there, as long as you get there. And when you get there, the only thing you can do is win the game. There are no asterisks next to the premierships, you beat who you play and that’s that.

Time this got shut down.

Is quite a drop in premiership standards from what we have seen primarily from 07-11.

We had three runner ups that won 20 games or more for the season which is insane when you think about it. ( Geelong 08, Collingwood 11, St Kilda 09)

Quite a few of the top four sides from those years would also easily take out the flag the past two years.

Harder to win it in an even season than one where your team is head and shoulders above the rest.

I'm sure Richmond or Bulldogs fans wouldn't really care. I wouldn't.

What the stats do show is that after the introduction of the Gold Coast and GWS and the pillaging of the draft, things are balancing out and the competition is evening out. 2017 was also the first year since 1998 that the wooden spooner had 5 wins which backs this up.

I don’t believe into the hypothetical myth of finals pressure like it’s some different world, like any home and away round, you get upsets and underdogs winning here and there, but the majority of times the best team wins. How is this any different to how it works in the home and away? It isn’t.

You don't believe in finals pressure???????????

You don't believe it?

Wow......just wow.

Ask, any player that's played in finals, listen to any ex player commentating, they all state it. The question is asked all year of teams, will it stand up in finals, can they replicate it in finals?

This was in fact the biggest question asked of Richmond last year, can they do it in the pressure cooker finals atmosphere? History records yes. Emphatically.

Anybody else like to start up a thread designed to pot the last two premiers? Anyone?

Surely there's SOMEONE that hasn't had a go yet. I mean, c'mon, it's still 5 weeks till next season.

You got 3 x non melbourne based teams in a row, all at your home ground, making them effectively home grounds for you.

Can we cut this Geelong nonsense out? Didn’t hear people complaining about Geelong playing home finals at the G when they were dominating in 07-11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B5B1304F-1FF7-4735-BD09-18FA30DE51CE.png

I’ll just leave this here.

Maybe we should look at the things that make our Premiership more impressive.

Overhauled our game plan and managed to execute it more often than not and have it lead us to a flag. Usually it takes rebuilding teams years to be able to have a game plan bear any fruit. Granted we had a lot of established players, we also played with a lot of guys in their 1st or 2nd year of senior footy.

Love the argument we were lucky because we ‘put it together at the right time of the year’. Maybe the side just started to click and have the game plan become more embedded towards the back half of the year?

Hope for the rest of the competitions sake that we don’t pick up where we left off and continue to improve our game plan and execute more consistently in its second year of use.

Because we made the rest of the top 4 look silly in September.

Because it’s over and above what you get in a regular draft order.

Pretty advantageous to finish down the bottom and get an additional pick after pick 1 or 2 I would’ve thought.
Well sure, start of first round is a big boost compared to end of first round, but they were never specifically restricted to the top 3 picks - though there might have never been more than 3 in a year and it's just phrased weirdly because of that.

View attachment 461818

I’ll just leave this here.

Maybe we should look at the things that make our Premiership more impressive.

Overhauled our game plan and managed to execute it more often than not and have it lead us to a flag. Usually it takes rebuilding teams years to be able to have a game plan bear any fruit. Granted we had a lot of established players, we also played with a lot of guys in their 1st or 2nd year of senior footy.

Love the argument we were lucky because we ‘put it together at the right time of the year’. Maybe the side just started to click and have the game plan become more embedded towards the back half of the year?

Hope for the rest of the competitions sake that we don’t pick up where we left off and continue to improve our game plan and execute more consistently in its second year of use.

Because we made the rest of the top 4 look silly in September.
This tweet is very stupid. FA isn't a concession that favours some more than others just a player movement mechanic than any club can use.

2016 was a very weak year. I don't think the Dogs could have beaten Adelaide's 2017 GF side let alone Richmond.
Ah, the Old Heaps Of Fun. Still cant stomach the fact the Dogs played 4 weeks of the greatest finals football of all time and won a flag. Hilarious. Dont worry, Heaps of Fun. If 2016 was a very weak year, 2018 could be too , and that will give North a chance to maybe sneak 5-7 wins.

Ah, the Old Heaps Of Fun. Still cant stomach the fact the Dogs played 4 weeks of the greatest finals football of all time and won a flag. Hilarious. Dont worry, Heaps of Fun. If 2016 was a very weak year, 2018 could be too , and that will give North a chance to maybe sneak 5-7 wins.
Dogs did play great! I don't begrudge them at all. Found Richmond winning much more upsetting but the Dogs team really was not very good. Doubt we'll see Richmond fall down into a hole like the Dogs did after their high. Why's that? Because the competition got better and they were relying on poor players hitting good form not the star power the Tigers have.

I couldn’t help but shake the feeling that Sydney selected two unfit players in McVeigh and Mills who did nothing in 2016. Cue the Prestigiacomo and Stokes stories.
A lot of stars aligned that day - Boyd played the game of his life, Franklin rolled his ankle in the first quarter and Rohan's mental demons got ahold of him again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread how do you rate and compare the past two premiers?

Back