Remove this Banner Ad

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
G’day all

I’ve been a iiNet user for quite some time.

(actually was a client of Netspace who iiNet bought out some time ago)

I’m paying approx. $60pm for adsl2 for 500g download capacity (not including home phone rental)

In general service was pretty good, dropouts were rare, and download speeds were certainly sufficient for me. Not sure about the terminology but was getting downloads of approx. 1000kbps?

I’m aware that iiNet has been taken over by TPG and don’t know if its co-incidence or not but dropouts seem to occur much more often and downloading I can only get approx. 250kbps.

I haven’t installed any new programs other than a VPN service but I'm pretty sure this was before the issues started.

Could also have been an update on my antivirus program that’s caused the issue!

Anyway I would be interested in finding out who other people use and how you rate the providers?

Cheers

I was with iinet for 9 years, but recently dumped them. Would possibly still be with them if not for moving house and they proved to be impossible to deal with. Immediate attention on a service call is impossible and always requires a callback, up to 8 hours. Wuld never go back under any circumstance.

Now using Telstra Broadband cable 3.0 with speedboost. Getting actual download of 3.5 MB/sec, yes MegabYtes. A 350 MB file will download in about 2 minutes. Speedwave test via Ookla show about 18 MB/sec but this is never achievable under normal usage and only tests speed from a local node. Upload speed is still constrained by Telstra.
I'm getting hi speed internet plus Foxtel for $99 per month for 1000Gb download, which I rarely use. Speedboost costs an extra 20 and may not be worth it for some. Still pretty good value. If Broadband cable is available in your area they will give it to you, otherwise you only get ADSL. Not sure if SpeedBoost is available on ADSL.

For other ISPs, ask around. I would stay clear of TPG and also Dodo and Primus.

FYI the speedboost isn't working based on the speeds you posted
Let's not confuse bits and bytes. The speed test dial has hit over 110 Mbps (more than Telstra's advertised maximum of 100 Mbps). Prior to turning on Speed Boost the dial only hit around 50 and actual download speed was only about 1.5MB/sec. For reference, the best I ever got out of iiNet Naked DSL was actual 1.2 MB/sec. Bear in mind, these downloads are from European servers, not local. Makes a bit of a difference. If you run speed test connecting to a Japanese server, for example, you only get about 40Mbps. Luxemburg only 8 Mbps. Prague Giganet only 10. So you cannot tell much from Ookla other than a comparative connection to a local server.

Last edited:
Let's not confuse bits and bytes. The speed test dial has hit over 110 Mbps (more than Telstra's advertised maximum of 100 Mbps). Prior to turning on Speed Boost the dial only hit around 50 and actual download speed was only about 1.5MB/sec. For reference, the best I ever got out of iiNet Naked DSL was actual 1.2 MB/sec. Bear in mind, these downloads are from European servers, not local. Makes a bit of a difference. If you run speed test connecting to a Japanese server, for example, you only get about 40Mbps. Luxemburg only 8 Mbps. Prague Giganet only 10. So you cannot tell much from Ookla other than a comparative connection to a local server.
Yeah but I download at 3.5MB/s without speed boost :D

Yeah but I download at 3.5MB/s without speed boost :D
Connection type? And from where?

Give me an example and I will try it to compare. Also, I am not saying speed boost makes that much of a difference. There is certainly a massive loss from 100Mbps.

Connection type? And from where?

Give me an example and I will try it to compare. Also, I am not saying speed boost makes that much of a difference. There is certainly a massive loss from 100Mbps.
Telstra cable, just file downloads, not w single stream, multiple via sftp for example

I was with iinet for 9 years, but recently dumped them. Would possibly still be with them if not for moving house and they proved to be impossible to deal with. Immediate attention on a service call is impossible and always requires a callback, up to 8 hours. Wuld never go back under any circumstance.

Now using Telstra Broadband cable 3.0 with speedboost. Getting actual download of 3.5 MB/sec, yes MegabYtes. A 350 MB file will download in about 2 minutes. Speedwave test via Ookla show about 18 MB/sec but this is never achievable under normal usage and only tests speed from a local node. Upload speed is still constrained by Telstra.
I'm getting hi speed internet plus Foxtel for $99 per month for 1000Gb download, which I rarely use. Speedboost costs an extra 20 and may not be worth it for some. Still pretty good value. If Broadband cable is available in your area they will give it to you, otherwise you only get ADSL. Not sure if SpeedBoost is available on ADSL.

For other ISPs, ask around. I would stay clear of TPG and also Dodo and Primus.

Thanks
That package looks interesting: the add mentions "pay as you go calls", does it also include a phone facility: mobile/landline?

Also suggests that you get 3 months free Foxtel sports with this package!. Assume you then have to negotiate direct with Foxtel if you want to extend it!

Cheers

Thanks
That package looks interesting: the add mentions "pay as you go calls", does it also include a phone facility: mobile/landline?

Also suggests that you get 3 months free Foxtel sports with this package!. Assume you then have to negotiate direct with Foxtel if you want to extend it!

Cheers
Mine came with a landline, but you are better off not making calls as they are bloody expensive.

You have to call them to cancel the Sports package, otherwise they will slug you $35 per month. You call Telstra, not Foxtel, as they manage the account. I had to transfer my existing foxtel account across to Telstra.

As a side note, Telstra charge $240 to connect the cable. All my guy did was put in a splitter on the Foxtel cable and connect a modem - all of 15 minutes - then tried to charge me $240. After complaining bitterly to several people in Manila, they eventually waived the fee.

Pretty happy with it all now. Really happy that I am no longer with iinet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back