How many weeks for Mckernan

Remove this Banner Ad

The_Duck

Debutant
Jan 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Just witnessed probably the biggest dog act so far this year with Adelaide's Shaun McKernan knocking out the Eagle's player Brad Sheppard.

Thankfully he's been reported, so how many weeks?

Not knowing the gradings, but after seeing the footage it would have to be high, intentional and severe contact.

I'm thinking at least 6 weeks for that.

Thoughts?

Sheppard got subbed out so reckon he would at the very least have concussion.

Intentional, medium contact to the head = 7 activation points (Level 4 offence)
Level 4 rough conduct = 425 points, no loading (was only suspended for one game in the past two years).
Minus 25% with an early guilt plea equals 318.75 points.
53.75 points to his record already (I believe) means 372.5 points and a 3 week suspension.

If the impact was deemed to be high, it would start off as 550 points.
Minus 25% equals 412.5, plus 53.75 means 466.25 and a 4 week suspension

(this is according to my understanding of the system, which may be wrong)

In the old days before they used pythagorus' theorem combined with the average weight of a pie wrapper multiplied by the number of legs on an Amazonian millipede to come up with some half-baked penalty, he would be rubbed out for 4-6 weeks regardless of whether he admitted fault or not.

Ordinary cheap-shot that has to be stamped out of the game.

Maybe three. Sheppard passed a concussion test, however I think the impact ruling will depend on whether there is a lingering injury.

If Sheppard has scans and they find a fracture, with Sheppard then missing a match, or he has delayed concussion, 2-3, might turn into 4.

One of those rare- in the modern game- bumps which actually looked dirty. Stupid, dangerous and totally uncalled for.

Agree with 4 weeks. But what's his record like? One of the surprising things about the current system is although it is stupidly over the top in most regards, an umblemished record together with a pog makes it very hard to get more than 2 weeks for anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to be charitable and hope it was just a massive brainfart rather than anything spiteful, but as has been said, a really hard elbow to the side of the head is very bad thing. Its not just a question of concussion, you can seriously injure or even kill someone doing that if you get them in the wrong spot- if a typical head high bump = getting hit with a full sack of flour, an elbow = getting hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Am genuinely fascinated to see how the completely flawed tribunal system copes with this one- imo its an order of magnitude worse than the sorts of things Zeibell was hammered for.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many weeks for Mckernan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back