Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
215 million dollars so our met-cops have even more weapons to use on homeless people and minority groups, thanks Dan!

Wonder how long it will be until some disabled or disadvantaged guy gets smashed by one of these things.
Tasering fare-evaders does sound fun though, would definitely make hanging out at train-stations a bit more entertaining.

Geez they’ve taken their time, tasers have been promised and required for a very long time and even this won’t cover the whole force.

It's ok, they'll have cameras on them.

This is a step in the right direction https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...victorian-civil-lawsuits-20211221-p59j8j.html

But they also need an independent and well resourced body investigating VicPol when incidents do occur. The failure to activate the cameras in any incident when there is use of force should be grounds for an automatic dismissal from the job.

I think the bodycams have done wonders for transparency in Los Angeles, and soon after it was introduced, they hit a 30-year low in Police shootings, despite the rise of police shootings in the past year.

Any incident in LA with the use of significant force (shooting, taser, beanbag, batons, teargas etc), where someone is hospitalised, or where there is significant community concern has to by law, be released publicly (LAPD put it on Youtube). It certainly means there is far greater transparency on the incidents the police are involved in, although its still not perfect https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/07/los-angeles-police-body-camera-footage-lawsuits (their Youtube is here, but it can be graphic, but gives you an idea of what they capture).

Not in any private home by their wording so you don’t have to wear them at Xmas lunch at the in laws, unless you want to not talk 😉
So the biggest indoor spreading event doesn't have a mask mandate.

This is kind of meaningless until we can see what the legislation is.

Unless I'm mistaken, officers presently have the power to edit the footage before providing it anyway.

Call me cynical, but given Andrew's love of law & order and our police force I'm not very optimistic that the legislation will provide meaningful change.
The relentless crime gangs scare is what encouraged this.

Lotta new social libertarians now mad the government is doing exactly what they wanted them to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd imagine because it's impossible to enforce? Given free movement.
From the CHO own words. You put it in place to lead to greater compliance. It was also the rules when visiting homes late last year/early this year

“The difference between highly recommending something and mandating something is the level of compliance that we see,” Professor Sutton said.
“We usually get about 50 per cent levels of cooperation or compliance with a strong recommendation. It goes to 95-99 per cent with a mandate. Why would you introduce a half measure when you need the full measure to be in place?”

From the CHO own words. You put it in place to lead to greater compliance. It was also the rules when visiting homes late last year/early this year

That was when restrictions for freedom of movement/density limits were in place.

Currently we have neither.

Imagine if Andrews told those possibly COVID positive not to get tested, because the system was under too much strain, the day after he said everything was cool, no restrictions.

This board and the news media would melt.

We'd see nooses erected on the steps of state parliament and just about every journalist from Fairfax to News calling for him to resign. They'd be calling it a disaster of apocalyptic proportions. Rent a flogs like Dr. Nick and Katherine Bennett would be spitting out the op-eds over it being the single worst public health failure in Australian history, faster than a copy machine.

Last edited:
That was when restrictions for freedom of movement/density limits were in place.

Currently we have neither.
Definitely wasn't movement limits, density possibly but it was something like 10 to your home in a day.

And anyway the comment he made today would indicate even if it wasn't enforceable it would still lead to a greater level of compliance. All year we have been told home visits are the biggest spreading events and now there are no mask mandates to cover the biggest spreading event.

Mandating masks in private households is pointless. If that's that biggest gripe you're taking away from today's announcements then there isn't much to bitch about.

Mandating masks in private households is pointless. If that's that biggest gripe you're taking away from today's announcements then there isn't much to b*tch about.

who's bitching about masks not being mandated in homes?

I reckon the masks everywhere no matter what rule we had last two winters damaged mask mandates big time

Outdoors walking along must wear a mask, rules that don't make sense and aren't proportionate

I have no issues with masks indoor in public spaces and for large crowds like at the G

maybe we'd not have dropped them as hard if they hadn't made masks close to political poison with their whole lets just make going outside miserable schtick the last two winters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back