Player Watch Hugh Bond - Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

It has not been a good week for the club. Some good news would be appreciated and the Bond resigning for a further two years would be a good start

He has improved out of sight this year and Bicks early call on him has been vindicated. I was very concerned at end of last year and beginning of 2024.

I see him as a possible rob shirley style stopper and/or run with player.

He has good size, good endurance, some pace and good skill base.

He looks to be a good clubman and one who enjoys the physicality of the contest and who has good mental discipline.

Completely agree.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It has not been a good week for the club. Some good news would be appreciated and the Bond resigning for a further two years would be a good start

He has improved out of sight this year and Bicks early call on him has been vindicated. I was very concerned at end of last year and beginning of 2024.

I see him as a possible rob shirley style stopper and/or run with player.

He has good size, good endurance, some pace and good skill base.

He looks to be a good clubman and one who enjoys the physicality of the contest and who has good mental discipline.
Nicely analysed Bigman.

Is anyone concerned that one of our 2024 positive surprises hasn’t been announced with an extension yet? I think he is the only one we are still waiting on (that we are wanting to extend). Most of the talk half way thru the year - myself included - was that he was likely goneski at the end of the year. Just shows most of us really have no idea. Well done to Bicks for continuing to keep faith as the majority weren’t believers.

Also hoping Edwards (a little concerned) and Ryan re-commit during the off season

Nicely analysed Bigman.

Is anyone concerned that one of our 2024 positive surprises hasn’t been announced with an extension yet? I think he is the only one we are still waiting on (that we are wanting to extend). Most of the talk half way thru the year - myself included - was that he was likely goneski at the end of the year. Just shows most of us really have no idea. Well done to Bicks for continuing to keep faith as the majority weren’t believers.

Also hoping Edwards (a little concerned) and Ryan re-commit during the off season
Don't think we need to worry about that just yet, they'll both be retained.

Don't think we need to worry about that just yet, they'll both be retained.
to clarify, when you say both you mean Bond and Edwards? Or Ryan and Edwards? Thoughts on why no extension for Bond yet? Surely the club wants him after a very impressive last 7 weeks with multiple shut down roles. I certainly didnt realise all his positive traits of speed, tackling, courageous, composure under pressure and decision making.

to clarify, when you say both you mean Bond and Edwards? Or Ryan and Edwards? Thoughts on why no extension for Bond yet? Surely the club wants him after a very impressive last 7 weeks with multiple shut down roles. I certainly didnt realise all his positive traits of speed, tackling, courageous, composure under pressure and decision making.
Ryan and Edwards.

Hugh was spotted at the All Australian dinner with Nankervis representing the club wasn't he?
That would indicate unless we max out our list with the likes of Cumming, Luko, ANB, Rosas etc he's getting at least another year?

I know for a fact he's well liked by all the players and coaches and is very tight in particular with Daniel Curtin so I'll be disappointed if list management move him on especially after he cemented his spot locking down on the oppo's dangerous forwards.

Ryan and Edwards.

Hugh was spotted at the All Australian dinner with Nankervis representing the club wasn't he?
That would indicate unless we max out our list with the likes of Cumming, Luko, ANB, Rosas etc he's getting at least another year?

I know for a fact he's well liked by all the players and coaches and is very tight in particular with Daniel Curtin so I'll be disappointed if list management move him on especially after he cemented his spot locking down on the oppo's dangerous forwards.
OK thats good news. I didnt see the AA dinner but its good to see us sending some young blokes with potential instead of the normal crew of Tex, Smith etc

I wasnt worried about the club moving him on as he showed MORE than enough. Just whether he perhaps wanted back to Vic which I understand he is a country kid so perhaps I am getting my knickers in a knot for nothing - bedwetter style :)

OK thats good news. I didnt see the AA dinner but its good to see us sending some young blokes with potential instead of the normal crew of Tex, Smith etc

I wasnt worried about the club moving him on as he showed MORE than enough. Just whether he perhaps wanted back to Vic which I understand he is a country kid so perhaps I am getting my knickers in a knot for nothing - bedwetter style :)
Horsham is a fair way from Melbourne....His old man is the biggest electrical contractor in that region I was told.

Horsham is a fair way from Melbourne....His old man is the biggest electrical contractor in that region I was told.
He was captain wasnt he of his underage club - Rebels or whatever it was? Means good character and likely a loyal bloke IMO assuming we have treated him well so looks like a long term keeper in my eyes. And the small lock down defender (back pocket) is a need on the list since Brown retired and Max has more value further up the ground.

Opinions are forged by the amount of media hype a player receives ......in fact most opinions follow the media hype train

Jury is out still on Bond ....however he hasn't looked flustered in his games thus far

Do we need another Robert Shirley type though ?
Hey, if he turns out to be another Robert Shirley I'd be more than happy. Much underrated player IMO.

Gee, the poor bloke copped a fair bagging as an 18 year old kid...

Was very surprised when we traded back in to take him

He just doesn’t have AFL level talent

Yep doesn’t have afl talent

I guess but the reality is players like Hately now might get cut to allow Bond to get that chance.
I'd rather have Hately on the list next year then Bond.

Bond seems to be a dud.

Geez what's going on with this guy? I can't remember the last time we recruited someone who could barely get a touch in the ressies. Even some of our duds could still play SANFL okay.

Time to move him on.

Yeah but he's garbage. Pull the pin early on cloggers.

This is giving the vibe of a "play for your career" type game, like ones Ben Davis got given wayyyy to many of

Yep Nicks has told him if you dont look like Dustin Martin out there this week, im putting a line with my red TEXTA through your name.

In the last 4 games Hugh Bond has recorded..... as a lockdown small defender.... 3 tackles.

Not 3 tackles on average, 3 tackles total...

Possessions in the 4 games have looked like 12 (7 handballs), 14 (7 handballs) 8 (5 handballs) and 16 (7 handballs)

I wish the young lad all the best, and I hope he proves me wrong, but everything on the face of it looks like a very strange selection.

Oscar Ryan must be scratching his head. Curtin IMO is cooked for the season and they're just trialling him in different positions, I don't think we'll see him again in the seniors this season.

Huge Ronin O'Connor vibes here.

And a big congratulations to some of the voices of reason:

Deserves an uninterrupted pre-season before writing him off.
Was always going to be a speculative pick.

Wasn’t he injured early? Did he miss preseason?
I reckon he probably deserves a proper crack at it before we chuck him on the scrap heap.
God knows we have 5-6 proven spuds to get rid of before a unproven kid.

Kid hasn't turned 19 yet.

Wasnt the kid injured for vast chunks of the season...if so, give him some time! Not everyone is Daicos in their first year (especially at pick 50!)

He's still 18.

Wow some people on the board don't give any of the kids time.

I thought he got a small run in the sanfl midfield early in the year and performed well.

Hes not had a great year but did show something was there earlier when he finally got on the park.

Pick in the 40s are normally project players.

I understand due to list sizes, we need to be ruthless, but I bet we see something from him next season.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gets the job on every SANFL' team's best small/medium forward every week and does the job he's been set resolutely sacrificing his own game to cut the oppo's dangerous forwards output, completely blanketed arguably the SANFL's most dangerous forward Aiden Grace, holding him goaless and to just 5 possies @93.8%DE, also snuck in 2 stoppage clearances, 2 score involvements and 3 intercepts along with his 16 possies. Might even get a run on ball because essentially he played almost all his footy as a junior in the midfield, probably wishful thinking on my part there though.

How has his opponent gone, that's what's most important when you're doing a lockdown job.

Great news. Has been superb locking down on small forwards, and I've liked the look of him when given a run on ball - clearance machine.

It 's become pretty clear now we saw him as a lockdown defender (Luke Brown replacement) when we drafted him but honestly as Captain of the GWV Rebels he always played midfield and I can't remember ever seeing him play that role for them and I saw almost every game he played either live or streamed.

The only time he ever played specifically the lockdown defender was for Vic Country at the Nationals where he was assigned the oppo's most dangerous small/medium forwards and did that superbly in all 4 games, now obvious that's what our recruiters had planned for him.

OccamsRazorRay

Check out these tackles and bumps, he tackles and bumps with absolute ferocity when needed.
#7 for the Rebels
#32 for Vic Country

he wont let anyone down, well done Hugh

I'm surprised by the "last chance" "only chance" comments.

Kid is 19. He is 5 months older than Dan Curtin.

8 months older than Ryan and Charlie Edwards

7 months younger than Max Michalanney
2 months younger than Billy Dowling

I think that we, as a board, need to pay much more attention to what dogs105 says

Gee, the poor bloke copped a fair bagging as an 18 year old kid...

And a big congratulations to some of the voices of reason:

I think that we, as a board, need to pay much more attention to what dogs105 says
Very happy with how he’s turned out ! Lockdown defender role is perfect

Give mutineer credit for him who has always rated him

And dogs105 !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He impressed me this year but I think the jury is still out on him as a long term prospect. The fact he hasnt got a contract despite playing the back end of the season isnt a great sign for him. He could very well fall victim to some poor list management decisions which would be extremely unlucky.

He impressed me this year but I think the jury is still out on him as a long term prospect. The fact he hasnt got a contract despite playing the back end of the season isnt a great sign for him. He could very well fall victim to some poor list management decisions which would be extremely unlucky.

Yep, if Smith’s extension costs Bond a list spot, then multiple people need to be shown the door immediately.

Yep, if Smith’s extension costs Bond a list spot, then multiple people need to be shown the door immediately.
I don't think these things are related and Nicks has been regularly expressing his admiration of Bond these last few weeks when he been playing.

I'm worried that Bond wants to go home, I'd hope not.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. Jake Kelly’s retirement is a nice reminder that defending alone will wear thin after a while. Happy to keep him, but he needs to be better with the ball if he’s going to be a long or even medium term prospect.

Very happy with how he’s turned out ! Lockdown defender role is perfect

Give mutineer credit for him who has always rated him

And dogs105 !
Is he one of those players who looks better in the A's then in the B's? To be honest given his form in the few games I saw him play in the SANFL I didn't think he would make it. I have really enjoyed watching his development in the A's.

Agree. Jake Kelly’s retirement is a nice reminder that defending alone will wear thin after a while. Happy to keep him, but he needs to be better with the ball if he’s going to be a long or even medium term prospect.

Haven't seen very many howlers at all with ball in hand at AFL level.
I think hes generally looked as composed as anyone.

Is he one of those players who looks better in the A's then in the B's? To be honest given his form in the few games I saw him play in the SANFL I didn't think he would make it. I have really enjoyed watching his development in the A's.
Yep I reckon that’s a role player type thing

He’s good at the role re shutting down dangerous players so what becomes more valuable the higher the level

Haven't seen very many howlers at all with ball in hand at AFL level.
I think hes generally looked as composed as anyone.
I think he has played well within his own limitations, he knows them and is sticking to them. Is that good enough for a long term AFL career?

I think he has played well within his own limitations, he knows them and is sticking to them. Is that good enough for a long term AFL career?
Can't see why Hughey can't also be employed as a cooler in the midfield as well as on dangerous forwardds if one of the oppo mids is burning us. After all that's where he played all of his junior footy before the VC coaches used him as their "cooler" on the oppo's dangerous small/medium forwards at the Nationals which obviously caught our recruiters eyes..

I was told prior to the draft by a contact at the GWV Rebels we had interviewed Hugh several times and had interest which I shared with Jeffcrowe and Danger in Texas at the time.

Could there be a hint in this father's day post from the club he's staying?

Only unsigned players father here? :)

you may well be right. assume you mean only signed or contracted players fathers?

Laird not liking sand. Its like the worst line, from the worst scene from the worst Star Wars movie. Who doesnt like the beach?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Hugh Bond - Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back