News Hugh Greenwood joins Crows on 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

He still doesn't have a senior footballers body, but that didn't stop Dangerfield going down like a sack of spuds when Greenwood gave him a nudge in the middle of the ground.

Unless Hugh has a psychokinetic forcefield around him (actually, maybe this isn't farfetched since he is TMT after all), Dangerfield actually begins his sack of spuds imitation well before Hugh even makes any contact.

[been reading Julian May recently]

Unless Hugh has a psychokinetic forcefield around him (actually, maybe this isn't farfetched since he is TMT after all), Dangerfield actually begins his sack of spuds imitation well before Hugh even makes any contact.
It's like he anticipated contact and fell first to lessen it and therefore on replay, it looks like barely any contact was made. If there was contact, MRP would look at it and Greenwood would be suspended, but there wasn't.

Interesting that BT said that Greenwood was livid when he was "rested" a couple of weeks ago.

I love seeing that desire and hunger to play within a player
He asked him about it on Roaming Bryan and by the sounds of it he was correct, livid might be an overstatement but it certainly wasn't Greenwood's call. Greenwood also said he now feels great and is happy with the decision in hindsight.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Hugh is the last that will leave. With respect you clearly know nothing of Hugh's story.
With all due respect, I know that money talks, and one should make hay while the sun shines.

I'll rest well when we have him signed up for 3 years. Until then, I'll assume he's a fair chance of leavng for more coin, should an enticing offer come his way (and it should).

With all due respect, I know that money talks, and one should make hay while the sun shines.

I'll rest well when we have him signed up for 3 years. Until then, I'll assume he's a fair chance of leavng for more coin, should an enticing offer come his way (and it should).
We certainly wouldn't have been factoring a big increase for Greenwood into any planning.

When I first saw him play against Sturt I thought "come on, really, who's this pretty boy basketballer".
I thought it was a bit of a long shot gimmick. The kid cut his hair and has turned into a brute, he's the opposite of Samson.

His game is getting better every week and his aggression is great, it's a pity Danger got a free for getting in his way because it's that sort of stuff we need more of.
CEY, the poor bloke, is standing on the side lines thinking what could've been while Huge is doing it out on the field.
Really happy to be proven wrong on this kid.

You had Drugs Are Bad Mackay? at cut his hair.

Giving someone low game time is not convincing evidence of a strategy of backing them in as opposed to say, dropping them.

Is there any credible reason why we should think that dropping someone in week 16 for a mere one week (and yet still having them as emergency) would have a markable impact upon his freshness for finals, noting that those finals occur after a bye week?

Given that we have a history of not resting players, I'd suggest the evidence suggests that the club doesn't genuinely think there's any value in a player having a week off. We're much more about continuity. And pre the Darwin game, Campo's statement that Hugh would be back in the side at some time in the future suggests much more that he wasn't a certainty in his mind to be back immediately. Who would have come out of our inside midfield brigade if Thommo had racked up 35? It certainly wouldn't have been Thommo.

edit - got my weeks wrong, point remains though,

Last edited:
Seriously becoming one of my favourite players. Was keen on him when we picked him up but never thought he'd make this much impact to our side. Absolute animal in the contest and has amazing awareness of where to handball to a player in space. Once he's playing 80% TOG he'll be racking up high 20s and 10 tackles with regularity. That soccer goal though. Pure instinctual brilliance.

We are a long way from seeing the best of THE MIGHTY THOR. He has been very disciplined and has always done the team thing. He is just starting to go for his marks and he is a very good contested mark.

I also think people should stop picking on Poor Patty. The vortex of air that swirled around TMT as he raced forward would have been enough to knock even the strongest player off their feet.

Seriously becoming one of my favourite players. Was keen on him when we picked him up but never thought he'd make this much impact to our side. Absolute animal in the contest and has amazing awareness of where to handball to a player in space. Once he's playing 80% TOG he'll be racking up high 20s and 10 tackles with regularity. That soccer goal though. Pure instinctual brilliance.

And nominated for goal of the week against one meh-ish goal from Waite and a nice kick under pressure from a Brisbane young player for his first goal in the AFL (from long range).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon him and other players following his lead with soccering the ball out of the center worked fantastically on the weekend. If that was Campo's coaching even I'll give him props for that because we got smashed by Geelong in that area last time so the 'move the ball forward fast at all costs' approach didn't allow Geelong to set up so easily behind the ball which was a big tick on the weekend. I wouldn't want to be using the strategy constantly but it was clever stuff rather than always trying to take the ball clean where you get tackled or it spills out.

I reckon him and other players following his lead with soccering the ball out of the center worked fantastically on the weekend. If that was Campo's coaching even I'll give him props for that because we got smashed by Geelong in that area last time so the 'move the ball forward fast at all costs' approach didn't allow Geelong to set up so easily behind the ball which was a big tick on the weekend. I wouldn't want to be using the strategy constantly but it was clever stuff rather than always trying to take the ball clean where you get tackled or it spills out.
Hugh and Brad Crouch did it about half a dozen times between them from the centre. Helped lead to our smashing in the clearance numbers.

Hugh and Brad Crouch did it about half a dozen times between them from the centre. Helped lead to our smashing in the clearance numbers.
It's pretty clever even if it looks crude when you consider the best way to stop their star mid fielders getting the ball in hand is to boot it away. More so when it's towards our forward line who were prepared for fast ball movement to immediately put them under pressure and help them make mistakes.

Was this Bec's suggestion?

One of the big differences between the AFLW Crows and the other teams early in the season was that our players would often kick the ball forward when under pressure. It is an interesting tactic at centre clearances when both team have one or more loose men in defence. A quick kick often falls in the arms of a defender and is a springboard to attack. A kick along the ground usually results in a stoppages in our F50.

I know the whole 'Basketballers always seem to have more time in traffic' is such a classic trope to be rolled out, but Greenwood really does seem to have more time in traffic, his reach is obscene, around the contest when he sticks his arms up it's ridiculous, this guy is barely scratching the surface on what he is capable of. And one thing I always thought of Basketball converts is perhaps they were a bit wary of the physical stuff, Greenwood absolutely ******* relishes it. A fave of mine already.

It's true though. The whole game of basketball is so compressed that you learn where players are and how much time you have quite quickly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

that even came through with the rucks, the ball was just getting belted forward.

worked well except when our forwards where caught napping.

Was this Bec's suggestion?

One of the big differences between the AFLW Crows and the other teams early in the season was that our players would often kick the ball forward when under pressure. It is an interesting tactic at centre clearances when both team have one or more loose men in defence. A quick kick often falls in the arms of a defender and is a springboard to attack. A kick along the ground usually results in a stoppages in our F50.
Yeah it's the uneven bounces that makes it tricky for defenders and they get a bit panicky if our forwards are right there to put body pressure on. I wouldn't want to over do the strategy but it was clever given our issue recent times playing Geelong trying to just beat them in the middle going a more typical head to head.

If it was. Sure. I'm happy to accept that if this was the design, it's worked well.

I'm just not as sold it was the design as some of you.

What if it wasnt? What if we actually had the intention of replacing him in the team with the player brought in? What sort of management would that have been? Can we reach agreement that if that had been the idea it was a bad one?

I think we can all agree that would have been a woeful idea, had it been the case, but I really don't see it. Nor do I see it mechanism to build his 'hunger', which is just crazy talk.

The rationale seems so obvious and logical, I can't believe there has been so much debate on it...

1. Hugh is given an opportunity. At this point, there are probably no strong expectations that he will figure prominently in our push to the finals. The initial intent is probably to bring him in for 2-3 games to see what he can do.
2. In a short amount of time, he exceeds expectations and demonstrates an ability to fill a clear void and need that we've had in the team. He is now identified as an important part of our finals campaign.
3. In understanding that he doesn't have the same base as other AFL players, the club identify that he will be unlikely to play every game through to the end of the finals, without his performance dropping off at some point due to fitness related reasons.
4. With this in mind, the club decide it is better to rest him now (rather than later), to enable us to start settling our preferred lineup on approach to the finals. The difference between an 11 game stretch of games, and an 8 game stretch, in the context of a player with his fitness base, is probably significant.
5. The fact he was made emergency only affirms that they have never wanted him far away from the action.

So basically, he was only rested based on his performances that exceeded everyones expectations which suddenly propelled him squarely into best 22 (and therefore finals) calculations.

We won the game against the Dogs, and our 2nd year gun player has been given significantly greater chance to perform at his peak for the remaining run home.

Job well done.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Hugh is the last that will leave. With respect you clearly know nothing of Hugh's story.
Although I am sure he will feel indebted to the Crows for giving him this opportunity, he left basketball because the $$ at the peak of the Australian comp were similar to that as an AFL rookie, with the potential for a massive upside.(that and the NBA & Olympic Dream were all but gone). I don't know how hungry he is for the $$, but he made a shrewd decision previously and coudl do it again, however if I was to have a bet I would say he will sign a solid contract with the Crows even though other clubs may offering more $$.

Although I am sure he will feel indebted to the Crows for giving him this opportunity, he left basketball because the $$ at the peak of the Australian comp were similar to that as an AFL rookie, with the potential for a massive upside.(that and the NBA & Olympic Dream were all but gone). I don't know how hungry he is for the $$, but he made a shrewd decision previously and coudl do it again, however if I was to have a bet I would say he will sign a solid contract with the Crows even though other clubs may offering more $$.

He's not going anywhere at the end of his current contract, next one he signs is with the AFC.

It's well known Greenwood and Keath are both on contract amounts that have never been seen before for rookies. They'll each do the right thing by the AFC when it comes to signing again.

It's ridiculous it's even being talked about.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hugh Greenwood joins Crows on 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back