I now have respect for AFL umpires and y afl is the best sport in the world!

Remove this Banner Ad

raikkonen64

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
melb
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
After watching the socer 2nite, it has given me so much respect for afl umpires... yes afl umpires make mistakes but they dont generally make masiive mistakes that cost one side any chance of winning...

this world cup in both games and the last world cup were been completely robbed, with red card decisions...

we've all been to the footy and felt harshly done by the ump but at least they dont balls it up that bad.. i guess thats wat makes our game so great compared to all other sports!...

Soccer. The Referees sport.

The penalty was justified, but probably not the red. And the next yellow that Ghana got was bull**** - a tackle like that from behind should always be a red.

Pathetic ref. We tried hard but the odds were stacked against us.

You can't be talking about the Australia game, because there was no massive mistakes from refs in that one (well none that resulted in reds).

That was a red card every day of the week.

Even the tackle from behind with the studs up. Red card everyday of the week.

There is definitely more pressure on referees from soccer as it is such a low scoring game and people can get sent off. This makes their decisions more pivotal in determining the outcome of the match.

You can't be talking about the Australia game, because there was no massive mistakes from refs in that one (well none that resulted in reds).

How was it a intentional handball?.. isnt the law only intentional hand balls are red cards?.. im no soccer expert but when u have 5 experts who have all played at international level commentating saying it was bullsh1t...

AFL is becoming more soft in terms of bumps and stuff but if they ever bring in a card system, that would be F#*!ed

You can't have your arms extended out like that on the goal line and expect it not to be deemed intentional, you're intentionally using your hands to block if you don't have your arms behind your back on the line.

I thought he thrust his arm towards it as well. It's a harsh ruling, but Kewell should know better. He shouldn't have let Mensah get in the position to get a shot off in the first place.

And those blokes aren't so much experts as they are smitten, biased fans. I think a couple of them were saying it shouldn't have even been a penalty!

Keweel denied a clear goal, even if you were to deny a clear goals scoring chance you can still and technically should be sent off.

This was clear cut. You can see Keweel's arm move out and stop the ball. If players were not sent off for this and penalties not given, then you would have a a lot players with arms sticking out on the goaline acting as pseudo goalies.

Australia was unlucky with referee not paying a penalty in the last game and giving a red card to Cahill. So you cannot complain about the yellow card given in this game.

Don't listen to the SBS commentary team they are bunch of amateurs. The only guy on the panel who has played at top level was Kalac and he said the referee had got it right.

Bullseye. That's a straight red, every day of the week. When you handle the ball and prevent it from crossing the line for a goal it's off with you.

I was devastated, but shit the ref was spot on. Not only did he handle it, but he clenched his fist. That shows he was bracing for contact and that's the dead giveaway that he not only knew the ball was coming at his arm but that he didn't make an effort to get it out of the way. Sadly it was "see you later" from that point.

As for the tackle later, that's not a red. Yeah, it's from behind and that Red against Cahill was dodgey as f**k but that doesn't mean that another ref will be that stupid to pay it. Studs were down in that tackle, Ned Zelic is a biased w*nker and if he's the reason people are saying it should have been red then they need to start forming their own opinions rather than listening to biased commentators.

Loving the amount of soccer experts around these days. To the point, it is very difficult to stuff up entire games of footy, as they rarely come down to one isolated decision, because that would require a 6 or so point ball game.

Soccer, being far less scoring, is a sport where one decision can cost an entire game.

I'm sure if there were ways that AFL umpires could stuff it up more regularly, they would. If they were referees, they would be even worse, because they are truly dreadful officiators of a sport. For mine, the worst in the world.

socer 2nite

masiive

were been

wat

rayj.gif

Loving the amount of soccer experts around these days. To the point, it is very difficult to stuff up entire games of footy, as they rarely come down to one isolated decision, because that would require a 6 or so point ball game.

Soccer, being far less scoring, is a sport where one decision can cost an entire game.

I'm sure if there were ways that AFL umpires could stuff it up more regularly, they would. If they were referees, they would be even worse, because they are truly dreadful officiators of a sport. For mine, the worst in the world.
or, the whole tournament. 2006 world cup Italy should not have even made the quarter finals, let alone win the cup. But diving is a legitimate way to win a trophy in soccer...

World game my arse.

or, the whole tournament. 2006 world cup Italy should not have even made the quarter finals, let alone win the cup. But diving is a legitimate way to win a trophy in soccer...

World game my arse.

Lucas Neil went sliding in and impeded Grosso run at the ball. Definite foul in the penalty area, hence it was a penalty and the referee did not hesitate one second to give it.

Recently with all the rule changes, the AFL has been far more harder to adjudicate. The AFL openly admit umpires make six mistakes a game. That's what they admit to, probably only if blatantly obvious. All the 50/50 one's, well who knows how many they get wrong there. One free kick can make the difference in an AFL game and it happens way more than in soccer.

In other words as it is now, the umpires in the AFL have more influence than the referee's in soccer.

Very few supporters know the name of referees in their league, yet many supporters here know the name of umpires. I wonder why that is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To all those **** saying Harry stuck his arm out, get your hand off it. You can't run backwards like that and then make your arms magically disappear. It's not like he was standing there with his arms sticking out like a ****ing scarecrow.

Yesterday Vidic for Serbia was in the box and stuck his arm out as if he was trying to take a one handed mark (not even a slight exaggeration, I shit you not) and only got a ****ing yellow for it. Yeah the ball hit Harry's arm, but it also hit his chest. The fact that it was so close, says there is nothing that could be done about it. It was accidental.

The ball was kicked at him from 5 metres away, even if he wanted to get an arm on it, he had absoltely no chance of reacting fast enough.

Clenching his fist???? How about I kick a soccer ball at you from point blank, and see if you tense up a little.....

The Cahill red Is a bit iffy. From one angle it looks like he's gone in and tried to end the players career and from another angle it looks like he's gone in to make a challenge, thought better of it, and pulled his legs back to reduce any impact. The vids on youtube don't show all the angles. Either way, It was there to be given. His own fault.

Lucas Neil went sliding in and impeded Grosso run at the ball. Definite foul in the penalty area, hence it was a penalty and the referee did not hesitate one second to give it.

Recently with all the rule changes, the AFL has been far more harder to adjudicate. The AFL openly admit umpires make six mistakes a game. That's what they admit to, probably only if blatantly obvious. All the 50/50 one's, well who knows how many they get wrong there. One free kick can make the difference in an AFL game and it happens way more than in soccer.

In other words as it is now, the umpires in the AFL have more influence than the referee's in soccer.

Very few supporters know the name of referees in their league, yet many supporters here know the name of umpires. I wonder why that is.

You do know Blatter came out later and said the Neill penalty was a questionable decision right?

You do know Blatter came out later and said the Neill penalty was a questionable decision right?

Who cares about he soccer ? This is an AFL forum and about Australian Football not some foreign code living deyond its means always with its hand out for our tax money as if it has the sole right to government support.

When its on FTA in prime time and averaging 38,000 to A League games that all the best players play in it might get some respect. No one likes a second rate product being promoted as #!.

As for the tackle later, that's not a red. Yeah, it's from behind and that Red against Cahill was dodgey as f**k but that doesn't mean that another ref will be that stupid to pay it.

Yep, which is why FIFA released a statement to the umpires prior to the world cup saying any slide tackles from behind are a straight red.

It's even written into the FIFA laws of the game

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send
off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

As to respect for AFL umpires... Nah. Theyll get my respect when they learn the rules of the game and call matches properly, not because of refs from another code stuffing up.

You do know Blatter doesn't like Italians being and is the a supporter of the French. In the world cup final in 2006 Blatter's absence during the prize-podium event was noted and criticized in international media. The President always makes an appearance.

He certainly made an appearance in 1998 final when France won. You could see him jumping like 5 year old in the stands when Zidane scored. France in that world had many dubious decisions payed in favour of them, including some non-existing penalties. Not too mention against Italy in the quarter final an obvious non-offside was given to Vieri who was clearly onside.

Blatter publicly laughed at a request by the FAI when Ireland ask the France match be replayed. Firstly they were drawn against France after a highly controversial seeding system was put in place. This seemed to favour the higher ranked teams and Blatter's very late decision to implement it was seen by many as a last ditch attempt to ensure that the higher ranked teams went through, like France. Ireland had lost the first leg 1-0. However, during the second leg, with Ireland leading 1-0 and minutes to go, Henry used his hand twice to control the ball in the penalty area and deliver a pass to William Gallas.

William Gallas was given the honor to present the world cup trophy to South Africa even though it's always being tradition that the host nation do it.

Don't let him fool you. Blatter is has crooked as they come and was made president because he made some dodgy backroom dealings. The push for a video referee has been going on for a while but of course Blatter wont have any of that.

Penalty yes, Red card no. But in actual speed, it's a tough call. The "hand ball" was marginal (Hit predominantly in the chest and upper arm)at best, and certainly not deliberate. But having said that, the movement of Kewell's arm makes it look like it could of been deliberate.

It's a bBad call but an even worse system. Surely in this day and age, before a red card is issued the ref should have the opportunity to take the call upstairs for an "opinion/recommendation" from a video ref. Would save tournament altering decisions like this from being so wrong. Penalty, meh. Deal with it. Red card and it's ramifications are far too large to get wrong this often.

Soccer just went back another 10yrs in Australia. Just like it did in 2006.

Who cares about he soccer ? This is an AFL forum and about Australian Football not some foreign code living deyond its means always with its hand out for our tax money as if it has the sole right to government support.

When its on FTA in prime time and averaging 38,000 to A League games that all the best players play in it might get some respect. No one likes a second rate product being promoted as #!.
Second rate is being generous.

I call it sporting valium.

We are lucky with the code of football we have. No wonder they riot, I'd be pretty pissed if I had to endure 90 mins of tedium for no result.

[Firstly they were drawn against France after a highly controversial seeding system was put in place. This seemed to favour the higher ranked teams

I'm no soccer expert and i wont claim to have any idea about whether its a red card for Kewell etc, but im fairly sure any seeding system is designed to advantage the better, more highly ranked team... In fact i'm certain thats the whole point of a seeding system... in any event i wont comment on the technicality of the card, i will say for all of us "psuedo fans" which i definately am (only watch about one or two games a year) when we see the Serbian player the other night reach out and punch the ball (ala the famous hand of god) and not even a penalty, then see Harry have a ball cannoned at him from no more than 10 metres (i saw it he didnt move or play at the ball) and he gets a red card for it, then we see the Ghana player slide in and take Brescianos legs from him for a yellow, needless to say we dont understand it, it looks inconsistent and frankly soft. I'm not going to can it and say soccer is shit, it's the world game for a reason, and clearly it's the most popular sport in the world, you cant argue with that, it's just not for me, but surely even the most die hard soccer fan can see why it's frustrating for those of us who dont follow it.

Its the type of ref decisions and the dire consequences of those decisions that has me lost on the game of soccer. Especially when some are made based on a player acting is if they have been shot when touched by a hair of an opposition player.

Remove this Banner Ad

I now have respect for AFL umpires and y afl is the best sport in the world!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back