AWOL

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
A lot of people will slam this topic, but I can't help but still like bomber.

Every time I watch him on 360, he keeps pumping us up when he talks about our boys. Tonight he was absolutely gushing about the big Hawk. he still shows genuine love for the club (even if he did screw us over at one point). I met him once after the 07 flag (was very friendly and accommodating) and when I see him speak now he still seems to be a really likeable bloke.

He owns this era and we can never change that fact. Forever in debt in my opinion.

Love him and always will. Felt cheated by what happened in 2010 tho but a bad year cant completely destroy all that he did for us.
Although I wonder if I'd feel the same if we didnt win it last year......
For what its worth I actually believe what he said about leaving, that he was genuinely burned out and couldnt coach anymore, I also believe him when he said he didnt plan on coaching Essendon but got an "offer he couldnt refuse" to go there and NOT coach. I was angry with how he went about it tho, he could of just told the truth and I would like to think most of us would have been happy for him.
Anyway, probably our greatest ever coach, setup our winning culture and I love him as ALL Cats supporters should.

I do, now that he has left Geelong. Seriously, he left at just the right time, and although his petulant treatment of Ablett may have been costly- yes, very debatable-he pulled out of Geelong before he was disrespected and before real onfield malaise set in concrete. And I liked him in the development years. Went off him in 06/07 for various reasons, not footy related, enough said, and apart from his interviewing style, he seems like a decent bloke.

..............................and there's those 2 flags!

Yep-love him, always will and accept his version. I felt a bit betrayed when it was all happening but at the press conference in Geelong the day he announced he was going they had a shot of him walking towards camera sort of and he just looked so filled with sadness. And it struck me that he was a decent man and it was actually hard for him to leave us. He went home to his first love. We are good. It's all good.

I found it amazing a few weeks ago on 360, when Bomber was asked what he thought of Gary Ablett's 40-plus possession games so far this season. Bomber said that Gazza was playing well.

The funny thing is, when Ablett got 40-plus possessions, playing for Geelong, against Carlton in Round 5, 2010, Bomber dismissed Ablett's contribution in that game, and acted like it was no big achievement.

But, I forgot, this was when Bomber was pretending that he was a loyal person.

You say that you admire Mark Thompson. My attitude is, thanks for winning two flags, but you showed your true colours, so you can get lost now.

Don't forget, it took Chris Scott one season to do what it took Bomber eight seasons to do.

Didn't have any more to give. Left not out of self-interest but because he genuinely cared about the club and didn't wanna stay just to get a paycheque. He knew his time was up and wanted to step aside to give someone fresh and motivated the opportunity to take the club to another flag. I will forever love Bomba. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Unlike some other douchebag who abandoned the club at the peak of his powers.

I found it amazing a few weeks ago on 360, when Bomber was asked what he thought of Gary Ablett's 40-plus possession games so far this season. Bomber said that Gazza was playing well.

The funny thing is, when Ablett got 40-plus possessions, playing for Geelong, against Carlton in Round 5, 2010, Bomber dismissed Ablett's contribution in that game, and acted like it was no big achievement.

You say that you admire Mark Thompson. My attitude is, thanks for winning two flags, but you showed your true colours, so you can get lost now.

Don't forget, it took Chris Scott one season to do what it took Bomber eight seasons to do.

Wow. :cool:

If you truely believe that then skip my post because you wont understand it but theres NO WAY anyone can actually think that.
Bomber walked into a club clinging onto itself and 1 bad result (off field, not on) away from folding and had a crap old list that needed to be completely turned over.
Chris Scott walked into the best club in the land with the best culture and a great list full of hard bodied players that just needed a new voice and a new perspective.
Bomber had some hand in the 2011 flag thats for sure.
(not discounting Chris Scott, he was the reason in my mind we won).

Gary is that you?

It's okay gazza you can keep your million odd possessions per game and play in a team that routinely loses by 10 goals.

After all having your ego stroked is evidently more important to you than playing for a team that is in contention for flags.

It's okay, really.

The most unforgivable thing that Bomber did, for mine, was that he lied to Frank Costa.

When Frank Costa asked Bomber if Essendon had approached him, he said "No". He could have said "No comment", or "Frank, I can't really say anything". No, Bomber LIED to Frank Costa's face.

Now, let us put this in perspective. This is Frank Costa he did this too. If it had been Brian Cook, I could understand (Bomber was upset that Cook wanted to review him in 2006), but Costa was someone who backed Bomber to the hilt, even in '06, when others at the club were thinking of sacking Bomber. And that is how BOmber pays back Frank's loyalty.

The difference between Ablett and Bomber's departures are this. Ablett never lied. He didn't tell the truth, but he never said he was staying, he just didn't say he was going.

Bomber, on the other hand, said that Essendon had NOT contacted him, when they had. He lied! But then, he was a hypocrite as well, because he then ignored Ablett all season for alleged disloyalty, and said that Ablett should be upfront with his decision, but then wasn't so himself.

Also, according to Gary Ablett, Bomber never spoke to him after Rd 5, 2010, when they had an argument. If true, then Bomber was unprofessional.

In any coach-player tension, the coach needs to find a way to make it work. He needs to be the bigger man, for the sake of the club. The coach is the role model for the players, so their behaviour towards the players is paramount. One player out of line can be dealt with, but a coach who steps out of line can lose the respect of all the players.

Gary is that you?

It's okay gazza you can keep your million odd possessions per game and play in a team that routinely loses by 10 goals.

After all having your ego stroked is evidently more important to you than playing for a team that is in contention for flags.

It's okay, really.

No no no no no! Their era was over! I left at the right time duh!!
Cats wont win another flag while I'm still playing!
What?
They are in the grand final?
Oh shit I'm f*cking outta here!
What?! THEY F*CKING WON!??!?!?
PICKERS GET HERE NOW!! PICKERS YOU PRICK!!!!!
Come to me money, sooth my red raw butthole, make me feel better, wipe my tears.. ahhhhh thats better!

Didn't have any more to give. Left not out of self-interest but because he genuinely cared about the club and didn't wanna stay just to get a paycheque. He knew his time was up and wanted to step aside to give someone fresh and motivated the opportunity to take the club to another flag. I will forever love Bomba. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Unlike some other douchebag who abandoned the club at the peak of his powers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof that Bomber is just a more convincing liar, as he has all of you fooled.

The man couldn't even be loyal in his marriage, and abandoned his wife for another woman. Then he abandons his club, for the club he truly loved.
The man doesn't know loyalty. When someone or something doesn't "do it for him " anymore, he heads off. But then criticizes others who do the same thing he did.

Geelong was just a job, Essendon is his passion.

2011 showed that (and this is no knock to Chris Scott), that any half-decent coach can come in and coach us to a flag.

For mine, Chris Scott in one year has shown himself to be of much better character than Bomber ever had at Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The man couldn't even be loyal in his marriage, and abandoned his wife for another woman. Then he abandons his club, for the club he truly loved.
The man doesn't know loyalty. When someone or something doesn't "do it for him " anymore, he heads off. But then criticizes others who do the same thing he did.

2011 showed that (and this is no knock to Chris Scott), that any half-decent coach can come in and coach us to a flag.

For mine, Chris Scott in one year has shown himself to be of much better character than Bomber ever had at Geelong.

Catman I agree with some of the stuff you are saying, re Bomber's obvious weaknesses. Espesh about Costa. But he helped build up this side, and is central to it. Scott did a brilliant job taking them to the 2011 premiership too. But I doubt very much that he could have done it without all the development Bomber put into the team for years and years.

I can forgive Bomber, the flawed character. He is OK.

Messy exit but love him, and im sure as time goes by and we reflect on this era those that still loathe bomber will soften their view and realise what a magnificent impact he had on this footy club and the messy exit will barely be a footnote.

Unless of course the Bombers beat the Cats in a grand final while he's there, then all bets are off!!

Messy exit but love him, and im sure as time goes by and we reflect on this era those that still loathe bomber will soften their view and realise what a magnificent impact he had on this footy club and the messy exit will barely be a footnote.
:thumbsu:
Unless of course the Bombers beat the Cats in a grand final while he's there, then all bets are off!!

haha:thumbsu:
And I don't for one moment though, think we would have won 2011 with Bomber at the helm. Does anyone?

Ultimately the senior coach is responsible for the football department, so Bomber is probably the single most important football person in Geelong's success. Yes, Wells was responsible for the recruiting, McArtney for the development and Ling/Harley for the culture but Bomber delegated to these people so he must take the responsibility. He certainly would have got the blame had things gone badly.

Given this is is very odd how little respect he gets from Geelong fans. I think there are three main reasons for this:

1. He was undoubtedly arrogant and did not behave in the Geelong way at times in his dealings with the media or opposition. This did not sit well with many Geelong fans. We are a more humble club than Essendon and he remained an Essendon person in his behaviour (may have helped towards the success though)
2. 08 Grand Final. This is unfair but remains a factor.
3. The Ablett saga.

And I don't for one moment though, think we would have won 2011 with Bomber at the helm. Does anyone?

No and we might have won 2010 if he hadn't already decided to leave, and we might have won 2008 if he had made better selections and coached on the day, and we might have had a chance in 2004 if he hadn't made a move and taken Scarlett off Lynch, and we might have had a chance in 2005 if he had taken a second ruckman to Sydney and not one injured one. And we might have had a chance in 2006 if he had paid attention to the team instead of himself.
The players won the other two.

And there is a body of opinion that says he made life hell for a number of players including one G Ablett(who you can hate all you like but whose blood runs blue and white unlike that ex Coach.)

The man may have made some mistakes but he built one of the greatest teams of all time, and the best part of it all is that was MY team. Thanks Bomber and good luck.

I would think that you have just contradicted yourself here..... Bomber had a lot of loyalty and love for the club he played his football at, and rightly so...

He was hired by Geelong, he bled for the bombers..
I have no ill feelings towards him, it clearly worked out well for us

It's a tough one. Clearly he was in charge of winning two AFL premierships. But I think the group he coached has proven to be a special one. After all did not the backbone of our 2007 flag all play together in the 2002 VFL triumph which would have had little to do with Bomber? Would Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Johnson and co have turned out special anyway???
Still, I remember meeting him in preseason 2010 and he was the nicest bloke going around and even introduced me to Chappy so I could get a photo with them and my four month old son born the day after the GF. So, he's alright with me... now we've won a flag since he left.

The way he was on 360 tonight , he looks so much more relaxed. Almost a different person. Makes me feel thing were definitely not happy and the pressure of that , didn't make life happy in 2010.

The way he left could have been so much better.It deserved to be better for everyones sake. Now there's this THING hanging over the club that shouldn't be there.

But he gets a tick from me for several reasons. One -what he developed .Two- what he achieved. Three- the knowledge that he imparted and left behind.

Compare him to Lyon at the Saints.

Chris Scott walked into the best club in the land with the best culture and a great list full of hard bodied players that just needed a new voice and a new perspective.

Not quite. Collingwood were clearly the best team in the competition when he took over. And Geelong had just lost the best player in the competition too. But agreed an awful lot of ground work had been done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion I still like Bomber Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back