I want Dion Prestia OR pick 6

I want.....

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Does drafting Prestia increase our chance of making finals next year? If so, it's understandable why we want a readymade player.... however I do agree it's paying overs

Does drafting Prestia increase our chance of making finals next year? If so, it's understandable why we want a readymade player.... however I do agree it's paying overs
It should read "increase our chance of winning a flag in the next few years" because I'm not satisfied with anything less as a target.

So basically, he will be handy but not at the expense of pick 6

Is he a 1st round pick?

From a Richmond perspective I'd give up a pick between 16-20

From a GC view, I'd be asking for 13-17

Franklin - pick 19
Bernie Vince - pick 23

Therefore a pick around 15 should get it done

Last edited:

So basically, he will be handy but not at the expense of pick 6

Is he a 1st round pick?

From a Richmond perspective I'd give up a pick between 16-20

From a GC view, I'd be asking for 13-17

Therefore a pick around 15 should get it done
Handy? Absolutely.

How can we get a pick in the range that we fairly believe he is worth without being bent over in the process by offering pick 6 for him?

The annoying thing for me is that GWS kids are being traded out for peanuts and we are not even in the picture

Steele , We were extremely interested in him as a junior and also supposedly offered up #12 last year but after another 12 months and he proves he is actually good enough to play in a side that has 10 times more talent than we do - We are not even in the frame ?
Why havnt we been in this kids nose all year and im sure its not money

Marchbank,Ahern,WHE,Peckett etc etc etc
These kids are all going cheap, But the player we are looking at whilst i do rate him he is not elite and deserving of #6 is Prestia and been injured last 2 years - If he was a GWS player our #27 would have got him already over the line

The only way i would trade #6 for Prestia is if we either got #10 back or #22 & #26 back !
Hawks traded 2017 1st round selection #12-#15 imo and 2 2nd rounders making the value of #10 about these 3 picks

Whats #6 worth ?
More than #14 (2017) + #22+#36

If #6 is to go for Prestia, 2 2nd rounders back is a must !

Something terribly wrong with our processes and long term planning.It all stems imo from the clubs inability to judge exactly where we are at.

So much of this and some other comments re planning I really like. And not enough space to show all my thoughts.
This doesn't include what happens at training, game day, game plan etc.

Historically the more experienced sides play & win finals (no secrets there).
upload_2016-10-15_13-37-10.png

If we want to win a Premiership we need to look at what other Premiership sides historically look like (including teams that make top4) and constantly maintain it to constantly play finals.
But teams can't have all experience without constantly injecting youth or they have go into rebuild (window closes) or top up (expensive & because picks didn't work).

The formula goes something like this (the very short version).
Draft (including rookies) or trade for 8 young (18yo - 20yo) players each year. We should find 2 good long term players from that. And delist or trade out any suspect players to make room for this.
After 5 years teams have 5 - 10 good long term players (look at our best 5 players).
After 10 years teams have 10 x 200 gamers barring injury.
But the age / experience demographic must be maintained ruthlessly. At 25yo they are potential guns or they are out, while they are still tradeable.
Sydney's current list is the best example of what I am talking about. And I heard they do a similar thing.

Currently we have too many B grade players above 25yo (mostly due to moneyball). The A graders at any age are not an issue (and they came from the draft).
We have no where near enough good 18yo - 22yo to give ourselves a chance of finding guns or keep replenishing the age / experience demographics long term.

For me Prestia is expensive (picks and contract), potential moral destroying, short term option, which detracts from the age/experience demographic, and finding a gun that we need to find each year to constantly play finals.

Last edited:
I don't buy that.

His coaching and game plan was the bigger problem.
The gameplan isn't to move the ball slowly and sideways and backwards I promise you.

The annoying thing for me is that GWS kids are being traded out for peanuts and we are not even in the picture

We should be all over their, probably better players than late picks in any draft. Very disappointed that we are not.
Imagine picking up 3 young early draft picks that may not have developed as quickly as some others, but with massive potential to develop.

The gameplan isn't to move the ball slowly and sideways and backwards I promise you.

From my point of view, the plan may not be slow, but the results and they way it looks are. We don't score as much from from clearances, we don't find unmanned players as easy, we don't have players running past to move the ball quickly, we constantly have a congested forward line. Overall it doesn't allow us to outscore the opposition.
We can have the best players, but if we don't have a winning game plan, nothing else matters.
A winning side makes players be considered good.
Best players don't make a winning side.

Last edited:
Prestia can bugger off , pick 6 is more important

other clubs always have and always will try to take us for a ride on the trade table, it's time for the tigers, if balme is onboard with a clear head, to stop other clubs effing with us

we r richmond! HARDEN UP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, that's why we are still shit after 36 years.

It has to be black magic or something. I say we come together, burn two black candles in a pot with water, and however to break the curse/hex, and rid of this crap, once and for all, and bury the effing cursers with the candles!

because WE, CAN!

From my point of view, the plan may not be slow, but the results and they way it looks are. We don't score as much from from clearances, we don't find unmanned players as easy, we don't have players running past to move the ball quickly, we constantly have a congested forward line. Overall it doesn't allow us to outscore the opposition.
We can have the best players, but if we don't have a winning game plan, nothing else matters.
A winning side makes players be considered good.
Best players don't make a winning side.
You're absolutely right but I think we just don't have a list that is deep enough when it comes to running from contest to contest.

You're absolutely right but I think we just don't have a list that is deep enough when it comes to running from contest to contest.

Yeah. Based on last years results, previous trading, previous drafting, we don't anything working well & we don't seem to have a long term plan to fix things like trading & drafting demographics.
It would be nice if just something looked up to scratch. But at present we don't have a good chicken or a good egg. :p

If Prestia was in this years draft, he would be taken later than pick 6 so why would we be so stupid to trade it for a player that has 2 years in a row suffered knee injuries and missed 8 games both years!

Pick 6 will almost certainly get us either Taranto or Brodie, both are ready to go inside midfielders who would play from round 1 next season.

Further, the club had better do serious due diligence on Prestia's knees so we don;'t get further bent over than it looks like we will already.

If Prestia is on 50% game time he's effectively worth 1,4-1.5 mil
Ffs it cannot happen and it's so obvious the Suns want to piss him off to the RFC retirement village. Please Balme force this bloke to the draft and hopefully he slips through to the keeper. What club after us Has massive cap space? Ding dong we are the target and his Manager knows it. RFC we hold the cards and the money so just walk away.

Just read that afl.com article from fri night. Although its just a journo, the wording sounded ominous. Pick 6 gone...just haggling on 2nd round swaps.
Booooo! BOOOOOOO!
It's aint over till it's over!

One thing.

If it is true that Richmond are offering him 700K+ over 4-5 years, how can Richmond justify not giving pick 6 for him? Gold Coast will probably pull them up for that, making it tougher on Richmond to negotiate the deal that they want. Gold Coast will point out that Richmond clearly rate him to offer him that amount of money, so want them to cough up accordingly and will not budge.

If another club offered one of our players that amount of money, I am sure Richmond will do the same too. Would like Prestia and keep pick 6, but the salary offered is the point where I think Richmond kinda lost ground in their negotiations with Gold Coast. It seems now that it is either pick 6 or Prestia.

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Dion Prestia OR pick 6

Back