Computers & Internet Imposter Landline calls

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Getting 'private' number calls today...hang ups when answering machine kicks in...but got one with a non Australian accent telling me that she was from Telstra and following up my internet problem....yeh nar, not me...yes you, we sent you emails....yeh nar and then she says 'get lost' and hang up.

Okay...

Getting 'private' number calls today...hang ups when answering machine kicks in...but got one with a non Australian accent telling me that she was from Telstra and following up my internet problem....yeh nar, not me...yes you, we sent you emails....yeh nar and then she says 'get lost' and hang up.

Okay...
I see my business associate Mr. Obadoyi has been in touch.

I get a few of them, I have a landline phone as part of my internet service which I use sometimes to make outgoing calls as it's cheaper but I've given that number out to no one I know, if they want to call me they use my mobile number.

I answered it a few times when I first got it thinking someone I knew was calling me and it was always some dodgy Indian saying they were my internet service provider calling about some internet problem and I said "Which service provider are you from?" and they would dodge the question and just read the script again "I am calling from your internet service provider sir and I...". *Hang up*

Any calls I get on that landline now I just ignore, it's usually around dinner time here so they've obviously done their homework on timezones if nothing else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know a bloke who got sucked in by one of these. They had him on the phone about half a dozen times, had him turn his computer on while they "fixed it" remotely...

They lifted 15k from his bank account.

So it does work sometimes. Some people (older folks mostly) will believe anything they're told by a voice on the phone.

I guess if it didn't work, they wouldn't be doing it. And you don't need a high strike rate, if just one person a month falls for it that's probably well worth it.

I know a bloke who got sucked in by one of these. They had him on the phone about half a dozen times, had him turn his computer on while they "fixed it" remotely...

So it does work sometimes. Some people (older folks mostly) will believe anything they're told by a voice on the phone.

I was thinking today to go along with it.

I could spell out my email address...

G
O
G
E
T
F
C
K
E
D@GMAIL.COM

Landlines are total useless in this era....but no we bundle them together because....because....ummmmm mm..

Landlines are useful for calling numbers you could be on hold for a while for. **** waiting half an hour on a mobile.

I was thinking today to go along with it.

I could spell out my email address...

G
O
G
E
T
F
C
K
E
D@GMAIL.COM

Haha! Gaso! I was intending to do this the other night; as soon as they said they were "from telstra" and directed me to my computer i knew exactly what they were trying to pull. Was sitting on the couch half watching Mr. Jamie Olivers latest festive feast and half stringing along these Indian campaigners doing my best senile old person impression.
Managed to work my way through 3 of their employees and waste 20 odd minutes of their time, i was building to a big "oh... now the screen says "Do you think I'm an idiot? GAGF you scamming campaigner" reveal but they actually hungup on me! Next time....
:rainbow: Tuesday nights in :rainbow:

Hard to believe some people fall for that stuff, no company is going to call you out of the blue to remotely fix a problem with your computer.

They wouldn't even know if you had a computer let alone whether you had a problem with it.

I have had quite a few - I usually fk with them, act all concerned pretend to turn on my computer, get very confused about what they say to do, pretend I don't know what the windows key is etc.

My favourite was when I pretended that I didn't know what the internet was, strung the guy along for a good 5 minutes:
'you need to log on to the internet'
'what's the internet'
'The internet...'
'Yes, I heard you the first time, but I don't know what that is'
'I AM TELLING YOU THE INTERNET!'
And so forth...

Remove this Banner Ad

Computers & Internet Imposter Landline calls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back