Injuries and how we are shaping for Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Strikes me that we seem to be a in a pretty position bar other years in regard to injuries. In saying that the club have a rich history of 'guilding the lilly' when it comes to being transparent around injuries and their supporters. I tend to double and then add another 2 weeks to anything they say.

Anyway, 'touch wood' still 5 weeks or so to go but I cant remember having most of the list pretty healthy and ready to go for Rd 1.

Given Fasolo, Reid and Toovey and mooted as back this week the only ones I know of are;

Seedsman - while away I suspect
Scharenburg - Long long way off
Freeman - he should be Rd 1 or 2 of VFL
Broomhead - as above and importnatly wont lose any fitness.

Where are Brown, Goldsack and Sinclair at.

If that is the case I reckon the Rd 1 team looks in good nick. Major issue will be Seedsman. Unfortunately I reckon he will be a long way off and its a shame bc am sure they were looking at him for Heater's role. He was v good last year and improved his 1:1 and decision making a lot I thought. Suspect Young will slot into the backs with Maxwell, Williams, Keefe, Brown and Toovey. I reckon Sidebottom might be used in that back sweeper role as well.

Given Fasolo, Reid and Toovey and mooted as back this week the only ones I know of are;

Not sure about Brown and Goldsack, but the previous indications from the club were that Sinclair would be right to go for NAB game 2, which is this week. Witts also was being said to be right for this week too.

Might also want to add Oxley to that list as well, which deprives us of another half back flank option for the foreseeable future...

I might be off the mark but isn't Round 1 split across two weeks and we play in the first week of Round 1? I think it's to do with stadium availability.

Yep.

I might be off the mark but isn't Round 1 split across two weeks and we play in the first week of Round 1? I think it's to do with stadium availability.

As much as I despise Etihad I will be going to round 1. Tickets on sale on Monday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this article on Collingwood website listing our current injury list, but does not tell us how long each player will be out :

Collingwood's Director of Football Rodney Eade has provided the following assessment of the players returning from injury layoffs.

1. Alex Fasolo
"'Fas' is recovering from his navicular bone injury. He's made steady progress and we’re not fast tracking him at all. We're just going to take our time with it, but he’s ticked every box so far, so we’re pleased with his progress."

15. Jarrod Witts and 28. Ben Sinclair
"Jarrod and Ben are in the same boat. They both had shoulder reconstructions, and their recoveries are on schedule. They are three months post-op, and are not far away from joining in competitive work. They’re in line to be available for selection NAB 1 (Geelong) or NAB 2 (Richmond)."

16. Nathan Brown
"He had minor surgery post-season on his shoulder and knee. Nathan is another one who has been exemplary in his rehab. He did everything right before Christmas, rejoining the main group just before the break and has come back in really good shape."

28. Patrick Karnezis"Karnezis has turned a corner, it’s been a big corner with his OP. He’s stepped up his running now, his strength is improving, he’s increasing his workload, but we’re not going to take any risks. We’re going to take our time, and make sure we can get it right."

29. Tim Broomhead (broken hand) and 39. Nathan Freeman (hamstring)
"We'll see how they go, but they'll be missing three to four (weeks) each, probably," - coach Nathan Buckley, after the pair sustained their injuries in the NAB Challenge opener against Geelong on 12 February.

34. Alan Toovey
"Alan is on track. As you'd imagine with Alan Toovey, he's done everything professionally, and is in contention to be available for round one of the season proper."

35. Matthew Scharenberg
“He is a very talented player but he is young and we were always taking a long term approach with him. There was a small amount of lingering pain and with the operation (to remove a small bone in a toe in both feet) he will have some certainty of an outcome. There is no real time frame on his return but all going well he should be running and seriously preparing to play in late May.”

40. Paul Seedsman
"He was training well but had a problem in his hip that was impinging on his running. He could have gone through the season with it but we felt by mid-year he would have had to down load and cut his training and that would have most likely impacted on his playing. It is still early in the season so we felt it was best to have the surgery now and it is only a six week off and we can get him back into full training again,” - Rodney Eade in The Age, 28 January 2014.

43. Adam Oxley“Really, it’s a good result. It looked like it could have been a fracture, which is what we were afraid of, as he’s had a very good pre-season, but to come out with a badly sprained ankle, and four-to-six weeks is what we think is a good result. If Adam gets his rehab right after a very good pre-season there is no doubt he will be back playing before round one.”

As of Monday 17 February 2014.

To me its a fairy long list considering its mid February, missing preseason football hurts. I know majority show will be back soon, but still.....Hopefully no more injury's occur between now and round 1

Strikes me that we seem to be a in a pretty position bar other years in regard to injuries. In saying that the club have a rich history of 'guilding the lilly' when it comes to being transparent around injuries and their supporters. I tend to double and then add another 2 weeks to anything they say.

Anyway, 'touch wood' still 5 weeks or so to go but I cant remember having most of the list pretty healthy and ready to go for Rd 1.

If that is the case I reckon the Rd 1 team looks in good nick. Major issue will be Seedsman. Unfortunately I reckon he will be a long way off and its a shame bc am sure they were looking at him for Heater's role. He was v good last year and improved his 1:1 and decision making a lot I thought. Suspect Young will slot into the backs with Maxwell, Williams, Keefe, Brown and Toovey. I reckon Sidebottom might be used in that back sweeper role as well.
Create this thread Sunday morning and we'll have a better idea. No injuries in Wang..

Reasons to be positive personal wise for sure Snoop. Although we have a few out, nothing seems overly long term even given our dodgy estimation of weeks missing.
As other have mentioned, Dwyer was a starter last year and not sure where Witts is at either.
I think Sidebottom is a certainty to fill that back sweeping role with Seeds likely to be a late starter and Toovey perhaps being eased in. Maybe does give an early opportunity to Armstrong Quicky?
Re Young, I just dont like him in defense too much, particularly deep. Could he and H share a half back/defensive wing role? I like one winger really being a holding mid/transitional mid these days.

no its to do with competing with rugby cos their season starts a week earlier than ours so we stretch round 1 so we get some market share. ****ing afl

Thoughts on Armstrong chances of slotting into defense Snoop Dog?

I was a bit 50:50. He got done a couple of times badly in traffic and in the contest but he had his hand on a couple of good balls late in the game and he ran hard to get to the next contest three times in a row which I rated. His kicking was good, the issue with him is winning contested footy and I didn't see a huge improvement in it. Still was promising and only 1 game. I was probably more impressed with him offensively than Langdon and thought Langdon was better defensively. Personally be surprised if either make it. I think Williams, Toovey, Brown, Keefe, Maxwell and YOung will get the spots back with Sidebottom and OBrien pushing back on the wings. If one of the small to mediums went down you would think Sinclair comes in but they probably want an elite kick to be one of the back 6 and unfortunately I wouldn't say thats true of any of them bar Seedsman, Scharenburg who are injured and Armstrong who am not sure about.

What did you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries and how we are shaping for Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back