International Cup in Melbourne 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

A debate was had a few years ago on the USFooty forum about whether to charge for an amateur event. I agree it may actually undervalue it by not charging. If the grounds are enclosed then a $5 or less entry fee to see a double-header (the way they were staged last time) wouldn't be unreasonable. I doubt it would scare too many people away, and most casual walking-by spectators probably wouldn't go into a stadium either way (different say to Murphy Reserve where some games were staged last time). And ultimately the more the event covers its own costs the more money will be spent on it.

Look at the Community Cup at St Kilda's Junction Oval.

Every year they pack the crowds in - nearly 23,000 people. And it is only an amateur grassroots footy event. Sure there are a couple of D-grade celebrities involved, and some fat and very unskilled men and women but that is about it.

Sure, it is a charity event, but they recently went from gold coin donation to $5 entry fee and it had no effect whatsoever on the crowds that turn up.

I'd love to see scenes like these at the IC.
w_img_0688.jpg

43emma%20race-200.jpg

For the Community Cup, they have bugger all promotion, just a couple of posters around St Kilda. But that's a damn site more than I saw to advertise the IC in 2005 (the AFL record doesn't count, as it only reaches a limited audience of people who only watch A grade footy).

I believe that the IC could be the same if the AFL put in a bit of actual effort promoting it. Just use their contacts to put a poster in every amateur footy club in Melbourne for example. And if they asked for a gold coin donation, it could go to aid efforts in countries where footy is played (ie. PNG, Samoa, Tonga, South Africa etc where Ausaid funds are currently being spent on footy and social development), I'm sure that people would think that it is a great cause. The awareness amongst amateur footy clubs could become interested in offering scholarships for overseas players etc.

I noticed in this year's Community Cup record that Demetriou had written a letter of appreciation for the Cup's efforts in the local community with lots of guff about what the AFL does for grassroots footy. Well he could certainly take a leaf out of how they market that event to the average punter rather than simply grandstand.

It'd be great to have such a turnout. I've always thought that targeting amateur league clubs should be an important part of marketing it, because people from grassroots footy will appreciate the games more.

But in trying to gauge lessons from what you've written above, you seem to be saying the CC gets a big turn out with next to no marketing but then you suggest the AFL should take a leaf out of their book. Are you saying therefore that the big turn out is thanks mainly to promotion through ammo clubs?

I agree the AFL didn't promote the last IC well enough, but there were articles in the Record, and ads taken out in newspapers I think, I think a few interviews on SEN, had a player parade at half time of an AFL match, and held their major weekly press conference at the opening, forcing the media to be there. So not enough but it wasn't tiny by any means. The question is what else is better or required. TV ads are pretty expensive but obviously reach a lot of people and could really show the colour of the event. Targeting ammo clubs seems like a key. A greater presence on their website's front page, with a longer lead in to the Cup, would also be useful. Getting a major sponsor on board would probably be greater than anything else in terms of marketing and credibility. And let's hope Sheeds gets on board - he has the knack for getting the media's attention.

At the end of the day, I reckon a large % of footy supporters in Melbourne would've been vaguely aware it was on last time, they just weren't interested or excited enough to come out and support. The CC has the promise of celebs doesn't it, whereas the IC does not, and that is the main reason I think people went to one and not the other. So to boost the IC, some excitement needs to be generated, but that's where you have to be careful to not hype it and have people disappointed.

It's all a fine balance and up against a difficult market. But certainly the word is that it will get a much bigger promotion that 2005 and will be linked in with 150 celebrations. Let's hope that's true.

This is an absolutely awesome initiative and the AFL and football public as a whole should get right behind it. I went to a few games at the 2002 Cup and saw New Zealand vs Canada, USA vs Ireland and Denmark vs Samoa. The skill level was probably similar to that of reserve grade in local leagues, but the commitment applied by all players was first class, and each game was played in tremendous spirit. Would be good if for one round of the AFL season, each game had a curtain raiser containing teams from the International Cup. Even if those games weren't part of the competition proper, it would certainly raise public awareness of how widespread this great code of ours really is.

I'd like to see the AFL start to charge admission for these matches. They're really underselling it at the moment. Sure, it isn't AFL, but plenty of people pay to watch amateur football. People are generally skeptical of something's value if it is free.

That's part of my proposition , that if lead up games were play interstate
then the various leagues like WAFL and SANFL could promote these games as double headers and collect the monies to cover costs .
If the teams in the respective leagues billet out O/S teams then accomadation is covered and if the right plans are made stopovers should be
at minimal cost .
The RSA has already played at Subiaco . Why can't it play here again on the way over . There must be other teams comming in via Perth .

:)

It'd be great to have such a turnout. I've always thought that targeting amateur league clubs should be an important part of marketing it, because people from grassroots footy will appreciate the games more.
EXACTLY

But in trying to gauge lessons from what you've written above, you seem to be saying the CC gets a big turn out with next to no marketing but then you suggest the AFL should take a leaf out of their book. Are you saying therefore that the big turn out is thanks mainly to promotion through ammo clubs?
No.
A few posters locally around town with the dates doesn't hurt.
People pass by, take down the dates and word of mouth gets out.

I didn't see one poster for the International Cup. That's all it needs. Forget tv, it is a small event. People will turn up if they have nothing else to do.

I joined my amateur footy club simpy because I was out jogging and saw a poster they'd put on a wall.

Even my footy club does mail drops in the local area with a letter inviting people to attend their matches. As a result, we get a few hundred people who turn up each game just to watch some grassroots footy.

Simple stuff. Not rocket science.

If the AFL doesn't put out posters, then I'm more than happy to.

At the end of the day, I reckon a large % of footy supporters in Melbourne would've been vaguely aware it was on last time, they just weren't interested or excited enough to come out and support.

Of course a huge factor is timing.
Put simply, you can't hold the games between 9-5 on a weekday and expect to get crowds.
The CC benefits from being on a weekend when no AFL matches are played.

Look I desperately wanted to go to the IC, but couldn't because of work. I daresay others would be in the same boat.

If the AFL was really interested in making a go of it, they'd experiment and hold some of the matches at night or twilight during on weeknights :eek: Pretty simple really. There are plenty of grounds with sufficient lighting for amateur night matches. Our amateur club played our entire pre-season practices under lights. People would be more likely to turn up then.

And that way I wouldn't have to struggle to get 3 weeks off work to attend ..... :rolleyes:

Night games for matches on weekdays would be worthwhile, especially if the weather has turned a bit nicer by late August / early September (it snowed on the outskirts of Melbourne last time it was on - I froze watching the games and couldn't help but to think the Papuans must've been in shock!). Don't worry Fish, it's only planned to span 11 days so that's only 2 weeks off work - could even squeeze it into 1.5 weeks off. But no, we can't expect people to be that keen if we want 100s or 1000s there. The poster campaign could be a goer - especially at ammo clubs.

Billeting out could help, but I think countries would generally want their players in only one or two spots, so they can bus them around easily - they'll generally have a commitment every day, be it games, training or tours.

cos789, you'll have to push the SA/WA angle for 2012, it isn't going to happen in 2008 (I'd like it to, but it ain't gonna happen).

:rolleyes:
cos789, you'll have to push the SA/WA angle for 2012, it isn't going to happen in 2008 (I'd like it to, but it ain't gonna happen).

In my opinion it needs to happen.

I don't think people realise that if this event is successful and well supported, it means a massive boost to the media exposure of our code and more growth locally for a lot less dollars.

The media in Sydney and Brisbane like to cover international sport and the AFL could use every bit of publicity in those states, where they spend many millions of dollars building the sport from the grassroots. Most Sydney journos still think that our code is played by two countries - Australia and Nauru, and they give prominence to international articles of other sports over the domestic AFL club competition ... :rolleyes:

What is more is that places like PNG and New Zealand are more or less aligned to the mainstream media of our northern states.

I don't think that the media will take the event seriously if every single tournament is always played in Melbourne. :(

I would also like to see more AFL recruiters this time around. With the genuine young talent emerging from the top tier nations, they'd be mad not too.

I just had to bump this thread because of something I read today.

This weekend there is an Aussie Rules tri-series in Canada involving Canada, USA and Japan in Vancouver this weekend.

They are charging between $10-15 per head for entry at Thunderbird Stadium which holds 3,500 people.
http://aflcanada.com/schedule/000109.php?t=northwind

Now what I want to know is why is the International Cup, which has more teams from bigger Aussie Rules nations and some of the best players outside of Australia is FREE and played at suburban ovals ?

And we have games as curtain raisers to AFL games involving teams like Carlton that some of us couldn't even be bothered with ....

Surely, surely if they can do it in Canada, they can do it in Melbourne - the home of the code.

The whole International Cup event is a joke. We could get really good crowds if the AFL, the so called "world governing body", actually supported the event more than just a token gesture.

In 2005, several hundred fans flew over from PNG to support the Mozzies. These people are far from wealthy. They were locked out of the 'G for the first quarters of their grand final curtain raiser match and then forced to sit in the top row of the top tier of the Great Southern stand and watch their heroes run around like tiny ants because all of the tickets were pre-allocated to Collingwood and Carlton fans ....

It just proves to me that the AFL are underselling this event bigtime and an amateur governing body with a fraction of the resources of the AFL can do better. :rolleyes:

If they handle this event any way near how they have handled State of Origin since they took it over, then it is certain to fail from the outset. I can just see the AFL promote Africa All-Stars vs Asia All-Stars and turn the whole thing into a serious of weak as piss exhibition matches .... :rolleyes:

I am really quite excited about this - will be booking in some leave once dates are finalised :thumbsu:

Love it everytime it is on. being from the usa will hope we send over a team. Was in new york last year and walking through central park and saw them training (couldnt believe it) Benny graham was down there having a look.
Love it

Remove this Banner Ad

International Cup in Melbourne 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back