International Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

I and a few mates went to the International Rules on Friday. We also went the first time it was in Melbourne two years ago and thought it was good. But last nights was boring as hell. Left in the second quarter. There was no atmosphere and the match was ****. It was painful to watch

I went, and sat with PiesPremiers in the first half in the top level of the SS. Great view from there, but no atmosphere.

Moved down to behind the goals at half time, and sat with many of the Collingwood folk. Atmoshere was great, but couldn't see most of the ground. Highlight of the night was the box-on between two lokes behind us, which was a great fight!

Overall, worth the dough, but did get a tad boring...

The Hitman

I knew the Irish would win!
They were fitter, stronger and better than what they were last year, ebsdies Australias side wasnt as good as it was last year, so I didnt really give us a chance. I thought tghe Aussies wouldve lost by more than what they actually did!

Originally posted by Bulldog1954
I and a few mates went to the International Rules on Friday. We also went the first time it was in Melbourne two years ago and thought it was good. But last nights was boring as hell. Left in the second quarter. There was no atmosphere and the match was ****. It was painful to watch

so i shouldnt go to the game next friday night? :( geez my friend just bought the tickets.

If we had the side we did last year, it would have been a great game. But it goes to show that this game is a dud without a strong side and a good crowd. I say we allow a proper NSL goalie. Bad goalkeeping.

Highlight of the night...Stuart Maxfield and his tackling. Ouchie. Typical Sydney player, hard and aggressive. Did anybody notice Matthew Nicks try to start a melee and stick up for his swan team mate Stuart Maxfield! :D

Funny how the Irish had a whinge about how the game should be played within the spirit of the game, yet they dished it out. I say the next game let it go on. Thew we'll see if the Irish can hold off in the last qrt.

Bulldog1954 - perhaps you can't teach an old dog much new. The 1st half was flat but it lifted several levels in the second half - the crowd looked to be on their feet for much of the last quarter.
So you seem to have left a tad early.

These games are generally better in the second Test. Stands to reason that teams that come together for the first time [generally only half the team has played the game before for each country] and have to play to rules they've never quite played before - are going to take a while to work into it.

A third Test would be even better both in skills and tactically.

Countries playing this sport non-stop would produce a remarkable spectacle. I turned to the NSL after the match and it was so slow and boring in comparison with the Test. And those guys play soccer all the time.

When I was in the UK earlier this year several Brits said "hey what's that game Ireland and Australia play? - far more exciting than our football [english premier league]" The USAFL is growing rapidly, USA Gaelic football is growing especially amongst juniors. A few USAFL teams have played US Gaelic teams in Interational Rules. Last year the AFL and GAA mentioned long term plans for a Tri-Nations of International Rules involving the USA. If this became a future world game.......there'd be an increasingly higher standard. There's still be an AFL with the oval ball.......but the draft could extend beyond our shores.

You may think this pie in the sky, but if the AFL don't develop an international profile then in a globalised world the game may fade away. At present this is the best option - and for me and thousands of others it is good enough. I'll be buying my tickets to Footy PK.:cool:

Bulldogs1954 you missed out!

Like Peter P said, the 2nd half the atmosphere was sensational, the game really lifted. There was a bit of biffo, some great goals and som fierce tackling (that was pathetically unrewarded by the red maggots) by both sides.

Goodwin was pathetic in goals - I know that's harsh but really, surely someone in the squad can do better than getting chipped from 50 metres out!!!

But I reckon the Irish coach should be suspended immediately - pushing an umpire and calling him a cheat is a disgrace, especially considering the extremely generous run the Irish received from their getriatic fatass of an umpire.

But all in all a fantastic night - I will go again for sure.

Where is the logic of playing 2 tests? As opposed to 3.

I guess we are playing against the Irish! :D

Yeah they had the hide to put a video together so the nancy boys wouldnt be tackled to hard...yet they dished it out.

Next game it's all over!

The AFL asked the GAA if it could be a 3 Test series this year....but too late to change, and the Irish have jobs to get back to. It may be 3 Test from now on. The GAA need to compensate their national team financially for missed work.....that will lead to blood on the floor in the GAA meetings as there is a strong amateur purist tradition amongst the old guard. But you'd think they'd make exception for an international tour - the old "work-compensation allowance" rather than formal salary.

Re: Re: International Rules

Originally posted by dee_girl9

so i shouldnt go to the game next friday night? :( geez my friend just bought the tickets.

If u haven't been before go.
But personally I would rather get my **** caught in a blender then go again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by X_box_X
I knew the Irish would win!
They were fitter, stronger and better than what they were last year, ebsdies Australias side wasnt as good as it was last year, so I didnt really give us a chance. I thought tghe Aussies wouldve lost by more than what they actually did!

Australia's side is always going to be stronger when we play away because not as many big names are going to pull out because they get a trip to Ireland rather than just staying in Australia.

IMO the game lacked atmosphere and the crowd wasn't really into it at all. Until Australia's 1st goal.

If this concept could catch on overseas that would be great and would help develop the code more.

But the only interesting thing at the G was the fight down the southern end behind where I was right in the middle of it.

Mags

Clumsy Drug Scandal

A few aspects of the game in relation to AFL

Tactics - when we first saw this game in 1999, the speed was the factor that stood out. If you could get a midfield group to hold at the back , switch the play and all run like crazy to break the lines.

The latest AFL strategy is - how to break the 'flood'. You do this with patience and excellent foot skills in dissecting the defence to enter the 50 OR the big bomb. All basically based on high skills with hand and foot .. and a bit of flair ( see Chris Johnson ).

When this was tried last Friday .. the players seem to naturally lapse into it BUT ( naturally ) the foot skills were just not there and the turnovers were everywhere.

Selection - I could pick a team of AFL players that would tear these guys apart BUT we keep putting the All Australian crowd in ( plus those who go to hospital for a few weeks every October ). I'm sure we all could. Last year I recall Michael O'Loughlin going well .. and Brad Johnson .. basically the mid range tough running players interchanged regularly.

I thought we had a team that was definately worse than last year and was amazed that they got so close. It's like they've all been give the clumsy drug and told to get on with it. It's all about the ball. There's some theory going around that a round ball is really easy to play with because it's so predictable. Of course that's not the case - the ways of the ball require lifelong application. So I felt that our guys are set up to fail in this contest - if they win, it's because they're professionals etc etc and if they fail, they look like numbskulls.

So not a very satisfying sporting occasion - a bit strange, especally after the GF triumph.

Matthew "Handbag" Lloyd

He took a couple of grabs in the 1st 1/4, but what happened after that? The only time I saw him was when he pushed that Irish bloke into the advertising boards for no reason. Lloyd is an idiot. He shouldn't get picked for the 2nd game. He looked lost.

There would've been turnovers a plenty in an AFL match with the rain and slippery conditions, even so I thought the second half last Friday was great footy - the second match is generally better as both sides are familiarised with eachother and the match conditions. We're expecting rain Wed and Thurs here in Adelaide but to clear Friday.....so hopefully good conditions, a big crowd and a super fast match.

Good lads

At last, some Aussies that are looking forward to the next game.

I was getting worried about you guys.

Of course the Irish wouldn't have a hope if the game (or even half of a game) was played with a Sherrin. The purpose of an oval ball is to create unpredictability. That can only be overcome with many years experience.

But a round ball is easier to come to terms with. I'm not expecting your men to become experts in a couple of weeks, but I didn't see too many of them dropping it or misjudging the bounce last week.

Kicking a round ball from a distance of 50 metres is a skill that few of OUR lads have mastered yet. Let's face it, the ball is not really a serious problem for your lads any more. The sooner the groaning about it ends, the better for everyone.:)

Re: Good lads

Originally posted by The Biff
Kicking a round ball from a distance of 50 metres is a skill that few of OUR lads have mastered yet. Let's face it, the ball is not really a serious problem for your lads any more. The sooner the groaning about it ends, the better for everyone.:)

Tell you what, The Biff.. we'll do you a deal. Get your guys to stop talking about the professionalism vs amateur comparison, and we'll quit harping on about the ball :) All AFL players these days do a lot of promotional work, media appearances etc.. and a lot of the younger kids do uni part-time, and a lot of them run businesses, own restaurants, pubs etc. So they DON'T train 24/7...

IMHO, the Int Rules game is great to watch. Fast as hell and exciting. It's not Aussie Rules, but that's exactly the point.

Let's just enjoy the next game eh?

Re: Re: International Rules

Originally posted by dee_girl9

Give this wonderful innovative game a bloody chance!

I would rather wear the coat-of-arms in a altered-rules series than nothing.

Bring the Irish on!!!

All the football public of Adelaide...get your butt to the game this Friday!

I don't know how ye Aussies can go on so much about how this is a bastardised game between the two codes, seeing as ye copied Gaelic football in the first place and screwed it up (and screwed it up further by going professional).

Originally posted by Timbermerchant
I don't know how ye Aussies can go on so much about how this is a bastardised game between the two codes, seeing as ye copied Gaelic football in the first place and screwed it up (and screwed it up further by going professional).

We did not copy your game. Australians made it. We don't use a round ball in our game. We screwed nothing up. And for the record...we ain't complaining about the fact that it is a 'bastardised game', if you can call this wonderful game that at all.

In fact...it has been the Irish team that has caused a lot of the problems so far. Have they not been educated correctly about the rules?! If they don't like the tackling, don't play!

Remove this Banner Ad

International Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back