Dorotich

Rookie
Oct 4, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi all.

My report from the match today.

Missing - Warnock, Garlett, Yarran, Scotland, Bentick, Fisher, Jammo, Judd, Hartlett, Walker and not sure of whoever else.

This sort of game is not a very good indication of where the team is at because of a mixture of senior players and fringe players on the same team.

Anyhow just some points on todays game that i can remember.

What I thought would be a friendly hit and giggle, was quickly dispelled when Austin put a hard hit on Robinson in the first qtr.

Skills were good at times and the usual crap other times. Carrazzo hasnt improved his kicking and Joey Anderson and Browne were scrappy at times.

Some players looked lazy for example Simpson who wont put his body infront of chasing players to protect team mates, others were playing hard such as Robinson (more on him in a minute).

Looks like Stevens will be playing a sweeper type role this year (a la Scotland). Was picking up possessions and skills were great.

Houlihan. Expect a big year. Looks to be back to his old self and moving quite well. Could be a threat on the wing this year. Just SILKY!

Gibbs......enough said. Murphy was ok in patches.

Kreuzer looked good and so did Cloke. Cloke will play CHF. Looked strong before he copped a few from Carlos.

Hadley looks fit and played well. Could be a handy player this year.

Hammo still hasnt convinced me yet. Draw between him and Jacobs.

Armfield, showed dash and through his body around a bit. Played on Eddie Betts, which Eddie might have just won the points.

Bower was quiet and skills ok, but decision making was questionable today at times.

Waite made others look silly at times as per usual.

Fev was quietish. Thornton played on him. Actually both were quiet.

Now lock this kid in for Round one (Thanks Eddie :)), my new man Robbo. This kid is a gun. Chased, tackled, very good skills. Got caught a few times holding the ball but thats ok for now in my book. Still probably getting used to the speed. Played forward early kicking a couple of goals then moved into the centre. Didnt rack up stats at will put played hard and used the ball well with good decision making. At pick 40 odd, boys and girls, we have got ourselves a bargain and a player.

Hi all.

Missing - Warnock, Garlett, Yarran, Scotland, Bentick, Fisher, Jammo, Judd, Hartlett, Walker and not sure of whoever else.

This sort of game is not a very good indication of where the team is at because of a mixture of senior players and fringe players on the same team.

What I thought would be a friendly hit and giggle, was quickly dispelled when Austin put a hard hit on Robinson in the first qtr.

Skills were good at times and the usual crap other times. Carrazzo hasnt improved his kicking and Joey Anderson and Browne were scrappy at times.

Some players looked lazy for example Simpson who wont put his body infront of chasing players to protect team mates, others were playing hard such as Robinson (more on him in a minute).

Looks like Stevens will be playing a sweeper type role this year (a la Scotland). Was picking up possessions and skills were great.

Houlihan. Expect a big year. Looks to be back to his old self and moving quite well. Could be a threat on the wing this year. Just SILKY!

Kreuzer looked good and so did Cloke. Cloke will play CHF. Looked strong before he copped a few from Carlos.

Armfield, showed dash and through his body around a bit. Played on Eddie Betts, which Eddie might have just won the points.

Bower was quiet and skills ok, but decision making was questionable today at times.

Now lock this kid in for Round one (Thanks Eddie :)), my new man Robbo. This kid is a gun. Chased, tackled, very good skills. Got caught a few times holding the ball but thats ok for now in my book. Still probably getting used to the speed. Played forward early kicking a couple of goals then moved into the centre. Didnt rack up stats at will put played hard and used the ball well with good decision making. At pick 40 odd, boys and girls, we have got ourselves a bargain and a player.

Sounds very good, very good indeed.

Ellard was quietish, thought AJ had some nice cameos and was moving nicley, some nice evasive skills.....snapped a neat goal, some nice cameos.

Tiller had some nice touches and kicked a goal from about 40, albeit under some duress and a quick drop onto the boot and a slight mongrel. For a 17yo who could easily be doing a pre-season with Murray there were encouraging signs. Height to weight ratio he is probably the lightest guy at the club, so there were some fumbles when he was going to receive body contact, but confidence will come when he adds muscle.

Lachie Hill would be close to the quickest guy at the club, ran Murph down from behind easily. Didn't win a lot of it, but definitely some small signs of improvement from last year, but with our increased depth he needs a big year for the Ants.

how did the younger guys go, joseph ellard and such

Joseph got a bit of it as the much went on, didnt do much early. Ellard wasnt sighted. Gibbs, Robinson, Murph (especially early, would have had 10 touches in the first quarter), Grigg, Stevo are the players that stood out.

A side note guys, dont tell anyone (non Carlton supporters wont believe you anyway), but number 4 looks like he will explode this year. Amazing how he basically stops traffic with a little dummy or fake to give himself time. A tuly great player waiting to happen.

how did the younger guys go, joseph ellard and such

Jelly, i mostly agree with Gilly, however, I will be very suprised if Ellard gets a game this year. Obviously he would only be elevated if a senior player is on the LTI list, but i think a few other might be ahead of him from what i saw

On Robbo, as mentioned he got run down a couple of times, but I recall similar thing happenng to Grigga early on, so it is just a matter of picking up the tempo. Wins the loose ball in the middle and will take on the tackler, unlike Judd e doesn't have the explosive first few steps and got caught a couple of times but he got his hands free and a semi-effective handball away, Judd is a standout in this respect but as Robbo adds some upper body strength he will be a beauty. Didn't look out of place as a lead up half forward and has strong hands overhead. Should play a reasonable amount of senior footy this year.

I worry with his energy that he might be susceptble to the occasional brain fade and once he gave away a cheap 50m, but then he took off and chased (can't recall who it was, JR maybe) and caught him and effected the turn over again. His never say die attitude is fantastic.

i know its easy to get worried about some players and then get excited by others, but ill reserve my judgement for players until the NAB cup game starts

great to hear the reports on some of the youngsters and unfortunate for carrots, i would think he should be right for round 1 if required, but his match fitness could be the issue

in the end, its an intra club match, at the same time as some players shined, most of the youngsters feel like they need to go out all guns blazing where the experienced ones would have taken the game a little easier or reserved some energy in the tank....as most would be not up to match fitness....few more games will sort that out. like the cousins effort yesterday, it means nothing apart from shaking the cobwebs after a hard pre-season .....more skills work will be done from now till round 1.

Jelly, i mostly agree with Gilly, however, I will be very suprised if Ellard gets a game this year. Obviously he would only be elevated if a senior player is on the LTI list, but i think a few other might be ahead of him from what i saw

I agree with you Dora. I know Ellard has worked hard on his build etc... but you would think with our added depth he will find it difficult

Hi all.

I second that has got grit, didn't budge putting his head over the ball:thumbsu:
"Got caught a few times holding the ball" Very happy to see, on what he was trying to achieve;), get excited about this bloke, "maybe jumping the gun", but showed great "determination" should earn him more than a few games during 09:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gilly how did you see the ruck duel. I thought Jacobs got the better of Hampson but others disagree or called it even - what did you think?

I think Sauce was too strong and physical to begin with and Hammo had trouble moving him once he had position.....but I think the encouraging thing was Hammo realised this and upped the ante. I think Hammo did a bit more around the ground.....Sauce did well to drop into the hole and kick that goal, but Hammo was on the last line and the hole should have been covered. With respect to directing the taps I thought both were effective about half the time......for mine it was a pretty even contest all day.

IIRC JR started up forward and had a couple of shots on goal that missed.....then played through the midfield or across HB, I think he was matched up on Robbo in the second half. His efforts were good and he was solid without being spectacular, he has to lift with the added depth and blokes like Robbo putting their hand up, but he moves so well and he does have good skills when his confidence is up, I can see him improving as the side improves, and personally still just have him in my best 22.

Reminds me of watching a TAC game where you are trying to keep a close eye on and assess 44 blokes and rely on short term memory to boot.:eek:

yeah i really want to know how Russell went.. where he play ? how was he

i went along with a few carlton supporters who are mates, as we are going to as many matches as we can to any team. russel was good without being outstanding, playing HHF and on the ball to give the onballers a chop out. the standouts for me were, houlihan: roamed around getting the ball and boy he sure is damaging.
murphy: was very good early on, smashed joesph and eddie betts in middle.
Grigg: dominated around the ball, dishing it out to gibbs and russel on many occasions. also tackling hard and winning a few free kicks for being in first. looks good when he linked up many times and has a superb long left foot kick. set up about 4 goals and kicked a good goal himself. prob most touches today. (the one to watch)
Gibbs: class act in everything he does.

IIRC JR started up forward and had a couple of shots on goal that missed
Sounds like JR.

Needs to fix this. Was good as a lead up HFF last year but 4 14 instead of 14 4 could have made a difference in a number of games. If he can't sort his kicking for goal out then the clock is ticking for JR.

Hampson is hard to beat in the ruck contests when he gets his body in front of his opponent. Sauce had trouble getting into the contest from behind. Saw some really good tap work from both.

Apart from contests Hampson offers very little value at the moment and we need to be patient. He is an athlete and it shows because he cannot read the play. Just does not do enough around the ground hence my preference for for Sauce. The guy lumbers around but he is quite quick in his ground work and kicked a beautiful goal after picking up a loose ball in contested play. His diposal for a ruckman is first rate. At this stage have him ahead of Hampson overall

Dirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Intra Club match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back