Introduction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There seems to be a lot more Hawk fans posting on these Boards every day (which is great news), so why not set up an Introductory thread for new posters to acquaint themselves with others?

The 'older' fans need not participate (;)), but it'd be nice if everyone can just give a liiiiiiittle introduction about themselves!

I'll kick us off,

I'm a student who has lived in NSW for the past 8 years - before which I lived in the 'happy' Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn!

I've been an 'official' member for 6 years now, but truth me told, I forgot to renew after coming up to Sydney so my scarf tradition went down the drain. :p

If I had to chose a favourite player from the current batch of Hawk stars, i'd opt for none other than,

Good Idea...

Well i'm a Commerce Uni Student.... live in Vic and have followed Hawks all my life... though have been put my hand in my pocket and been a memeber for 3 yrs now. DEFINATELY going on 4.

My favourite player had always been Jon Hay... now i have none, as though have a much larger interest in the youth that we have brought in over the last 2 yrs under the AC rein. Looking fwd to seeing them develope. Want to see Crawf with a premiership cup... and Buckley with none.

Am extremely loyal to hawthorn, and if anyone puts a negative spin on the club/hawk player, i may tear their throat out! ;)

I am also a HUGE fan of AC, and think he has done a fantastic job. If he is not the greatest coach (which i think it is too early to tell)... he at least deserves the post as he has given us fans something to smile about

Hero

I am a Dj/Pastry Chef Apprentice, living in Melbourne. My dad turned me into a Hawk supporter when I was 4 or 5 I'm now 20 and been a member for the last 12 years.

Johny hay was also my favoutite player in his prime but since he's gone Cambell Brown has since taken over. I'd sell my soul to see the Hawks win a premiership in my lifetime.

Am I to be considered an 'older' member?

I joined early in the season. I'm 36 in 9 days, and (I know this is blasphemy) I actually started barracking for the Dons as a kid, since my family was all Dons. Peer pressure got to me in 1978, and I changed, as a 7 year old, when my best friend at Primary School converted me. Winning the flag that year helped too!

Have been a loyal Hawk fanatic ever since....lived thru the 80s, went to most of those Grannies, the most memorable of course being '89. Watched Dermott running back to the Forward Pocket chundering his guts up. At that point I thought to myself 'uh-oh, we could be in trouble here.' We were, but we still finished ahead!!!

Obviously the 80s was simply the greatest time to be alive and an avid Hawks fan. I cherish those days, and long for them again. Am hopeful and optimistic we can achieve success again, maybe not to THAT extent (I don't think ANYONE will), but I can see finals and a flag in the next 4-5 years.

Beyond that, I love music even more than Footy (if that's even possible), and play in an original Rock n Roll band that's just about to release it's debut album. I'm about to leave my job (which feels as good or better than seeing the Hawks win Flags!!!) and become fully self employed.

That's enough ramble from me......

Roddy said:
Have been a loyal Hawk fanatic ever since....lived thru the 80s, went to most of those Grannies, the most memorable of course being '89. Watched Dermott running back to the Forward Pocket chundering his guts up. At that point I thought to myself 'uh-oh, we could be in trouble here.' We were, but we still finished ahead!!!

Obviously the 80s was simply the greatest time to be alive and an avid Hawks fan. I cherish those days, and long for them again. Am hopeful and optimistic we can achieve success again, maybe not to THAT extent (I don't think ANYONE will), but I can see finals and a flag in the next 4-5 years.

That's an excellent read Roddy. I really wish sometimes that I was alive during the early 80's just so I could watch our team in the Grand Final.

I remember my parents telling me how back then, they actually couldn't make it to a Grand Final one year, but justified it with the knowledge that 'We'll be able to see them in the Grand Final anyway next year". :p

ok, im 17, and i just finished xavier college yesterday and exams start in a week and a bit.

dad is such a passionate hawthorn man that it was either u followed hawthorn or lived on the street - but now i am absolutely over the moon that i chose the right club.

i've been a member since i was 3 or 4, and used to love the days at waverley on the wing, but now i love the games at the G. i havent been a bigfooty member for long, but i like the idea of it.

like any other member i love hodgey, and always have to defend him against judd at school. i also love crawf and buddy and roughie and lewis and mitchell and murphy and willo and dixon and campbell and smith and birch and brown and sewell and jacobs and taylor and muston and ellis and little and gilham and kennedy and dowler and croady and vanders and big max and big al and todd and anyone else involved at hawthorn.

yesterday i got j kennedy's signature on my school shirt which is awesome.

the 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 on my name are the years when we will win our premierships.

i managed to get to 12 games this year including 1 in tassie against richmond and i dont mind the fact that we lost most of them, because that will just make the times when we are a good team a lot better.

go the hawks!

Hi guys

I was born in Hong Kong and lived in Melbourne for a quite a few years since landing in Australia JUST DAYS AFTER the 89 grand final (god-dammmmmit!).

Chose to support Hawthorn incidentally, in 91, interestingly because I found the club colours appealing (no Freudian swipes, please ;) )

Luckily I managed to catch our '91 flag...

Was never a huge football fan in my youth though, preferring Cricket over footy. Until around the time I moved back to HK (2004), after I finished my two degrees at UniMelb and got a job at some Big 4 slave driving accounting firm as a tax consultant. Gave that away after 2 years after deciding that I was no blo0dy good at accounting and I hated it.. work hours are long, the $ is okay but my balance of life is more important... goddammit i missed the GF because of work!!! Now I am working in the finance dept of that 'Pentium Inside' company... with enough spare time to hit the gym daily and get my body up to AFL standard...lol :D

Now that Spida is gone, I can say I love all my hawks, with my favourite players being: Timmy Clarke, Sewell, Browny, Mitch, Crawf and Hodge... and I just love watching buddy take games apart. Hope that he does it more often!!!

I intend to live a long life, so I expect to see at least 3 to 4 Hawk dynasties... hoping that the next one comes around the '09 - '12 mark :thumbsu:

Hello all. Smitchell here.

29 years old. I'm a Film student (done business) at uni really enjoying the creative,free lifestyle (awesome for catching live sporting events if anything.I recommend it).

I'm a qualified chef who recently started picking up part time chef work again ( not awesome for catching live sporting events!) because the only downside to the 'creative, free lifestyle' is having absolutely no scratch.

So little money in fact that i haven't been able to afford interstate memberships for two seasons. Also stuffing up my season numbers on my scarf.

I first joined in '99 and have a really strong sense of loyalty to the brown and gold, sometimes to the point where I have to remind myself that I'm 29 and really should take down my Dunstall shrine, and that I really have to stop getting excited like a five year old when i walk into a card shop to see if there are any cheap Hawks stuff.

I live in Joondalup, which is in Perth's northern suburbs. I love Perth, but am going to Melbourne twice and Tassie next year just to see the Hawks (It'll be my first time, so let me know what i have to do. Cheers ;) )

Don't know a huge number of WA hawks, and none are close friends so I really appreciate big footy.

A few of my interests
Sport - Hawks,Jason Dunstall-my hero, NBA-New Jersey Nets(Jason Kidd) Mark Ricciuto-my favourite player along with Dunstall since '94, NFL, Aussie Cricket team,Perth Wildcats (Andrew Vlahov is a DI*KHEAD, so glad Jack Bendat bought the club so he has final say!),Force, Wallabys, Glory.

Personal
Film- Want a career in it. Love the complexity and creativity of the whole process.Could go on and on about films, directors forever but won't.

Television- Some truly remarkable TV shows and documentries out there. I love HBO (home box office), they revolutionized TV. Sopranos(best ever!), Deadwood,Six feet under,Entourage to name but a few.
Arrested development, Scrubs, Huff, Viva La Bam, Family guy (if you've been watching since first episode, let's talk)American dad. I could go and on.

Music
Pantera is my favourite band ever from back in the day but still love them to this day. Saw them live in '94, '96, '00. If anyone likes them and saw VH1's Pantera:behind the band,wow, the lyrics to the songs make so much sense.
Best bands these days are Queens of the stone age and Kings of Leon IMO. But I listen to and love an eclectic range of music, one of my driving forces behind my film degree.

Holy SH*T, I totally got carried away, sorry for the long post

Seriously, it's absolutely fantastic to see such detailed responses guys.

To people like ralph and smitchell who are able to keep 'up the faith' from as far reaching places as Perth and Hong Kong - I tip my hat to you. ;)

To hodge9101112, it's also good to see fans like you - who also seemingly are in contact with our future players ;) - come through as well! :D

I'm 26 years old and have been a supporter since I can remember, Dad told me he went for them and that was enough for me. He is not really that passionate about it.

I've got 5 sisters and they all go for Collingwood. Mum goes for Geelong. She's lucky I was younger than 10 during the 80's otherwise I would have got stuck in. She probably wouldn't have cared that much anyways.

I work at one of the big Banks in IT, fell into it after school but haven't found what I really want to do with my life. Boring as hell but the pay is way too much to walk away from.

Born in Melbourne moved to Mildura (NW Victoria) when I was 8, family was originally from there, went to the Melb for the Melb Show caught the hype after we won the 89 but missed the 91 GF!

Being in Mildura it was hard to get to games I think I only got to 2 games. Moved back to Melbourne when I was 20 and have been catching games here and there, became a member for the first time last year, the 40 year scarf is my goal.

I grew up with most of my mates either going for Essendon or Hawthorn. What a rivalry, we haven't been so good against them in a long time and now the tables seem to have turned on that hopefully for our nine year stretch. Hate Essendon with a passion, more than I hate Ben Lee.

Interests
I love music, play guitar, banjo, harmonica and bass. I really love playing music but i'm not much chop. Haven't had much time to practice and play, just too busy.

Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams, Paul Kelly, Beck, Ben Folds, Radiohead, Beth Orten, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Muddy Waters, Sun House, Miles Davis, Mia Dyson, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Johnny Cash, Cat Stevens, Josh Pyke, Elliott Smith, Elvis Costello.....I could go on, I'll listen to anything as long as it's not death metal, techno and Ben Lee.

Love my Hawks and can't wait for on field success, am wary of our future but I think it looks OK. Wanna see the full potential of these kids.

Looks like i am the old bugger here ,41 yrs old , live a good 3 hrs drive from Melbourne (worst case scenario depending on the traffic lights through Geelong)
Was told i had to support Hawthorn when i started primary school cause nobody else did , a decision i do not regret.
Have been a member since 94 when i recognised that things were not as rosy as some would have had us believe off the field , fought against the merger proposal tooth and nail.
Occupation wise - farmer / fat cattle breeder + cfa volunteer since i was 16 ( cfa crash test dummy - official title ) have just got home from chasing a reported lighting strike , so don't light fires people you never know who'll arrive at your door .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howdy,

I'm 28yr old football tragic that is loving watching the Hawks group develop under Clarkson.

I dont live far from Waverley so I go down to training a fair bit (it's great if you can make it), I've got 2 kids under 2 which keeps me quite busy.

I'm excited by the list Clarkson has put together, it is going to be very competitive to get a game for the Hawks in 2007, which is good news for the fans.

I'll post a few stories from pre season training when it gets under way.

G'day, Im 17 and currently finishing year 12 at a small school in Darwin.

Ive been a Hawk fan for all of my short life and since then I have succesfully converted my younger sister and my mother into supporting the hawks, and subscribing for a membership.

Ive only watched one Hawk game in my life, and unfortunatly living in Darwin I dont ever get to see the boys play. Fingers crossed Dogs continue their deal up here, and Hawks get a game in Darwin.

Im a passionate supportor, Im that traditional footy fan who you will catch screaming at the television even when he is alone if Hawthorn are playing wrong.

I swear I am the best Couch Coach in history!!!

Im confident in the way Hawthorn is going but we still have many holes to fill and we basically have to hope for a very solid draft consisting of at least 2 Key Position players, and pacey midfielders!

My favourite players are: Roughie, Franklin, Clarke, Crawf, Sewell and Changa, practicly the whole team lol.

Carn The Hawks!!

Hi, I'm 15 and from the mornington peninsula. Obviously im a student.
I went to my 1st hawks game about 8 years ago (we beat geelong by 2 points).
I'm a pretty passionate supporter, if we are winning I am overly excited and if we play badly I get really annoyed.
Anyway the hawks are awesome and I can't wait to see how we go in the next few years.
My favourite players are: Crawf, Buddy, Brown, Mitchell and Hodgy

Another cool off season thread....should be a sticky. Always wonder who is behind the words.

About me, I am 28, born and bred in Bendigo, central Victoria. Been a Hawk supporter since I was 4 and chose those classic colours out of all of them!!! Loved the eighties, just rue the fact that I was too young to have a few bourbons (wild turkey is the preferred option) to a Hawthorn Grand Final. But hey, I will make up for it over the next 5 or 6 years??? I practically love the whole team, but geez, can't go past Mitchell for guts and determination, not only is he near elite, he came through Box Hill after being overlooked by everyone. And for sheer excitement, Buddy Franklin is my man!! Soft spot for hard nuts Brown, Sewell and Hodge. And Crawf deserves our respect forever!!!!!

Aside from that, I play Indoor Soccer(but am not a big fan of real soccer), work as a furniture salesman/storeman, love a drink. I am Caucasian, and don't believe in any god!!!!

My main interest along with Hawthorn is music. I play guitar and sing, and have a massive thirst for extreme metal. By this, I mean NOT Korn, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, blah blah blah.

I love KISS, Judas Priest, Metallica, Slayer etc, and that evolved to death/black metal. Bands such as Darkthrone, Morbid Angel and Emperor would be a good starting point.

I play in a band called DESTRUKTOR. We have played in Melbourne a few times (green room, the tote, the esplanade), Adelaide and Sydney. Our music is some of the most intense and raging you will hear!! We have a couple of releases available, and our Nuclear Storm Vinyl will be released through an American label on October 20th.

Those curious, or keen to hear us should go to www.destruktor.cjb.net or better, www.myspace.com/destruktor666

Keep em coming boys.....Go HAWKS 07!!!

Hi, I'm 28, I work in global finance so am often up reading posts here at all times of the day and night, the last couple of years I haven't got to the footy as much, mainly because of uni and work. Can't really express how much I love Hawthorn, it's more a part of me. Don't really love any players in particular in the current team, except for Franklin, if you pull on the brown and gold guernsey then your a champ.

Why Hawthorn? Always had respect for them even when I didn't follow football that much, my family wasn't that sporty, my bros where more into surfing. Hawthorn are a very family orientated club and I have made lots of friends through the club. My 4 older brothers all support Hawthorn as well, I managed to get them all members at some point for a little while but I don't think they have the same passion as me.

I want the club to have success but not at the cost of what I love about Hawthorn.

Gday im 19 and have lived in the melbourne suburbs all my life and studying eng/com at the moment atmelbourne uni.

Im a very passionate/tragic hawk fan with the walls of my room stacked full of the posters of the hawk champs like lethal,dunstall,dermie,platts,knights,crawf,dipper and the like.

Ive been a hawthorn member since i was 8 (1995) when i saw my first game. I didnt sign up last year due to financial reasons but i'll be back on board as a member in 2007. Im a member of the MCC (dont think that doesnt mean im not passionate) i sit there and cheer on the boys from there and clap em on as them warm up around the boundary line. So obviously im in love the new deal for more games at the MCG. If you want to know who i am look for the massive 80's style hawk flag in the members section amonst all the bloody toorak toffs with their land rovers.

I barrack for the hawks because thats all i know and my family goes for them so i was born into the mighty hawks i guess and couldnt be happier. I also have a soft spot for the tigers so they would have to be my second team.

My favourite player would have to be hodgey/buddy cant split them, but am also becoming a massive fan of cambell,changa,browny,birch and murphy.

CARN the MIGHTY HAWKERS in 2007!!!!!!!!!!!

G'day Gentlement

I'm 32 and live in the Western Subrubs of Melbourne. Followed Hawthorn since 1983. At that time was following both Fitzroy and Hawthorn and decided 1983 Qualifying Final would determine who would be my sole team - thanks to Gary Pert for giving away the free kick and Richard Loveridge for scoring the goal.

Despite all the premierships - still my favourite game.

Work in the Financial Planning industry. Currently finishing off my Accounting degree (end of this year thankfully) which has been an ongoing saga since 1993.

Hopefully the HFC can move up the ladder over the next few years and really highlight the benefit of long-term planning versus trying a quick fix.:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Seriously, great work guys! It's fantastic to, as DESTRUKTOR mentioned, try and imagine the face behind the person who is writing. ;)

It's great to see that there's such a wide mix of Hawk fans from all around Australia - and in the case of ralph and Thaihawk, the world! :) :thumbsu:

G'day Guys.

This is amos and I currently work and reside in Taiwan. I've been abroad for six years now. I'm 31.

A combination of afl.com.au streaming radio broadcasts, the Australia Network broadcasting five games a week on my big screen projector in the living room, 'theage' and 'heralsun' onlines and bigfooty has allowed me to pretty much stay on top of the afl and Hawthorn situations without being physically in the sports mecca of the world.

Favorite game, well, Hawthorn and Geelong played out two rippers in 1989, but the round six game was an absolute belter. I remember all the 88, 89 and 91 Grandfinals, but 86 has slipped my memory. So don't worry about anything you've missed before you were 13 guys, you'll lose it ;).

Fave Players - As a kid, I loved Leigh Mathews and one of my most cherished photos is a personalised letter from Lethal after I wrote him in 85. After Leigh retired, Russell Greene became my best. After that, it was Darren Prichard and I proudly wore number 18 in the under 19s once I moved to Melbourne. Finally, Darran Jarman. What a marval. After Jars, I never really had a favorite but Jordan Lewis and Hodgey and definately getting there.

And that's it.

amos said:
is a personalised letter from Lethal after I wrote him in 85.

That's fascinating amos - so he actually replied to your letter?! If you dont mind me asking, did he say anything in particular?

The only noteworthy footy memorabilia I have is a number of signed jerseys from Chris Langford (because I practically live next door to him) and a little message from Kevin Sheedy on a Sherrin. :thumbsu:

philhawk said:
That's fascinating amos - so he actually replied to your letter?! If you dont mind me asking, did he say anything in particular?

The only noteworthy footy memorabilia I have is a number of signed jerseys from Chris Langford (because I practically live next door to him) and a little message from Kevin Sheedy on a Sherrin. :thumbsu:
Phil, he was my idol. I remember looking up L. Mathews in the Melbourne phone book (I was in Grade 4ish), and somehow narrowed it down to the L.Mathews that lived at 6 Brolga Avenue, Croyden. It may have been that Leigh was recruited from Croyden perhaps, forget. Anyway, I was returned a letter from Leigh (sent from the Footy Club address) that just offered best wishes etc. Thanks to the Mathews guy who live on Brolga Avenue for forwarding the letter :D . What a thrill for a kid though, just as dad and my older bro were trying to entice me to the Blues :eek:

Hi fellow Hawkers,

I'm 41, live in Sunbury and work for Connex in Melbourne. I was born in Shepparton and moved down to Melbourne in 1983.

Apart from this year, I goal umpire in the RDFL. I have done it for 10 years, which has included 1 Snr, 5 Res (1 in Ballarat League) and 1 U18 Grand Finals. I actually enjoy it and usually have a chat with a few of the players during a game.

Before you all go crook at me, I don't support the umpires in the AFL, never have and never will. I agree with Philhawk about the best thing to happen in thre Grand Final. Actually by having umpired, I couldn't believe how much that maggot screwed us in the Prelim in 2001.

I was a member from '89 to '92, went every week, even a trip up to Carrara. Stopped going after we had our kids. I managed to get to the '91 Grand Final out at Waverley. Donated to Operation Payback in '96, I still shake my head and wonder how it nearly happened. A big thank you to Don Scott.

I have barracked for Hawthorn since I was about 4, can't remember much before that and I think the first game I went to was Round 1 in 1972 at Glenferrie Oval. That fateful day when Huddo had 8 to half time, then did his knee. Just as well I was only 7 and didn't fully understand what it meant at the time.

I have witnessed the magnificent 70's and 80's and hope that the future will see a return to those great days. I don't have a favourite player anymore, anyone who wears the Brown and Gold is a champ, the first number on my jumper was 5, Peter Crimmins. He typified courage, what a champ and I was devastated when Crimmo passed away just days after the '76 flag. Seeing Sam Mitchell in the striped back with 5 on the back brings back fond memories.

I have seen many champions in the Brown & Gold, too many to name, you all know who they are. My oldest daughter who is 13 shares my love for Hawthorn and I hope to go and see the Hawks with her a couple of times next year.

It is easy to follow a club when they're up, it has been tough for a while, but we will be rewarded soon (hopefully). True character in a supporter is shown during the tough times. No softies here, we all love the Hawks, win or lose.

I hope the squeals aren't too loud for you Phil.

All the best

Tony.

PS - couldn't think of a login name, so I picked Hawks and the first premiership year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Introduction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back