Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

In a massive rut atm. Work and personal shit just annoying me. Can't muster the courage to get out and go to the gym

Yeh what GROTTO said, if you can get there just do anything, show up and the rest will come.

Or if you really need the break then listen to you body.

If its just "courage" or "motivation" the issue, just limit yourself to warming up and only doing your favorite exercise.

Thats less than 20mins in the gym. If you stay longer great, if not, you can build on that over the coming days and or weeks.
I find when you don't want to exercise, still set the time and put your shoes on. If you don't want to go you can turn around and sit on the couch again. Over time the habit just gets you into going more often than not

I do this with the bands. I find it helps
Yeah but bands like cables you can have the resistance going to the side, dumbbells it's just going down to the floor with gravity.

Yeah but bands like cables you can have the resistance going to the side, dumbbells it's just going down to the floor with gravity.

It’s just a rotator cuff warmup that some physios recommend if you’ve had issues before.

At my old gym, one guy used to grab the one kilo dumbbells and do a Peter Garrett dance to warm up.

I find when you don't want to exercise, still set the time and put your shoes on. If you don't want to go you can turn around and sit on the couch again. Over time the habit just gets you into going more often than not
I remember back in 2020, I lost motivation to work out and decided to do the bare minimum and just walk on the treadmill for an hour.

You will be surprised, at just being in the environment will provide the stimulus to do more.

Annoyingly when covid hit and the gyms shut down in SA, I bought myself a cheap barbell/dumbbell weight set. I would say its the one reason I am where I am today, because as a newbie at the time I worked out during lockdown. It made me appreciate the gym so much and the small gains formed a solid foundation when I returned to the gym when it reopened.

If thats it just drag yourself there, youll feel better for it afterwards anyway, even if you just roll around and stretch.

The routine starts it, the rest will come.
This x100, whenever I have come back from a break or injury, I always give myself so much credit and reward for just turning up, regardless of how the workout went. Getting into the routine and developing momentum again is more important than the actual first workout itself.

I do this all the time still even though I know it’s not optimal. Went from doing it, to doing it on cables once I learned that was better, to just going to back to dumbbells when i cbf because it’s just a shoulder warm up and it’s not like it’s doing nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke this morning took such long breaks between sets, hoarding lat pulldown for ages. 3+ mins rest at the 6am pre work rush is ridiculous
We were at the same gym today? :$

A guy today took over 30mins to do pull ups in the squat rack and nothing else, during peak morning time. His rest times were around 5+mins.

For lat pulldowns in particular, I always share, its not a big thing to share this "machine". If someone wants to use a different handle, they are responsible for changing it and also changing it back, unofficial gym etiquette.

Going heavy with the big movements like squats that time is fine imo but yeah if they aren't doing something overly difficult just looking at their fone.
Heavy is relative to each person, but I do agree with this. Compound lifts in particular need a solid 3+ mins rest between sets.

We were at the same gym today? :$

A guy today took over 30mins to do pull ups in the squat rack and nothing else, during peak morning time. His rest times were around 5+mins.

For lat pulldowns in particular, I always share, its not a big thing to share this "machine". If someone wants to use a different handle, they are responsible for changing it and also changing it back, unofficial gym etiquette.
He probably would have, I didn't ask. I just go do something else. I'm not there for chit chat or the perfect workout. Doing something is better than nothing and my 35-40 mins are just packed with whatever I can do. Plenty of pull exercises to fill the time

Disagree with 3 minute rest times - it takes too long! Get in, get out. Move it along haha

Bloke this morning took such long breaks between sets, hoarding lat pulldown for ages. 3+ mins rest at the 6am pre work rush is ridiculous
Heavy on a bar that level of rest is fine.
On a machine, nah that's too long.

What difference does it make if you are pulling a bar or a cable lol. Still got to pull the weight. A 3 minute rest for pull downs seems at the long end of reasonable to me. Some of you boys obviously not going hard enough

What difference does it make if you are pulling a bar or a cable lol. Still got to pull the weight. A 3 minute rest for pull downs seems at the long end of reasonable to me. Some of you boys obviously not going hard enough
People a bit fixated on 3 mins, that was a very conservative guess. He was on it an eternity. Might actually still be there!

i had a PE cover class this afternoon - in my schools gym (like weights and machines) and was told that they all knew how to use the equipment.

i’m not like, purist of how you use equipment, if it works for you that’s good enough, but man, whoever taught these kids how to do things like chest presses, leg presses & shit did a bad job.

it’s already annoying missing a period that i had planned on using for marking to waste time doing PE, but making my work clothes disgusting sweaty cos i had to teach them safe techniques pissed me off!

not happy!

Lat pulldown man back this morning, I rest less on the couch at home than he does on this machine
Staunch him and you won't have to worry about it again. Do it to enough of these pretenders and people will peal off the machines you need as you walk up to them, like Moses parting the sea..

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back