Is it time for another SCG upgrade or a Perth stadium like stadium built in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Boyohboywowwee

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the raging success of the swans lately and the huge home crowds they are pulling in. Is it time for the scg to be upgraded on both wings and hopefully get the capacity up over 60k?

Or should there be a brand new 65 - 75k stadium built somewhere near the cbd or east Sydney if there is space.

Sydney is a growing city and the swans will be a powerhouse club in the next 5 years. They have the most supporters and fast growing membership base. Surely something has to be looked in to

They’ve got a couple big venues for concerts and rectangular sports in Sydney, I would think the Swans (and possibly Cricket) are the only parties that could really ever need the SCG to be redeveloped given there’s nowhere bigger for those two sports to be played. Dunno what the crowd numbers are like right now but idk, doesn’t seem like they would need a higher capacity for quite some time. With rectangular sports and concerts having another venue already, there isn’t really any external noise asking for that increase in capacity.

There's still plenty of free tickets getting passed 'round.

It's also one of the ugliest grounds in world sport, looks completely shithouse. ugly 90s block build, heaps of crap sponsors, and that recently built one at the side is just a terrible design.

There's still plenty of free tickets getting passed 'round.

It's also one of the ugliest grounds in world sport, looks completely shithouse. ugly 90s block build, heaps of crap sponsors, and that recently built one at the side is just a terrible design.
With the raging success of the swans lately and the huge home crowds they are pulling in. Is it time for the scg to be upgraded on both wings and hopefully get the capacity up over 60k?

Or should there be a brand new 65 - 75k stadium built somewhere near the cbd or east Sydney if there is space.

Sydney is a growing city and the swans will be a powerhouse club in the next 5 years. They have the most supporters and fast growing membership base. Surely something has to be looked in to
I don't think there will be anymore upgrades at the SCG for a long time if ever but the Swans could play up to 3 x matches at Olympic Park/Accor each season against the powerhouse Melbourne sides (Collingwood,Carlton,Richmond,Essendon and maybe Geelong and I think they would pull upwards of 60,000 on a regular basis - the few million dollars (I think it was $15 Million back when the stadium was built) that the AFL paid ensure that the Olympic Stadium has ability to have an oval shape could pay big dividends in the furture if the Swans get on a roll over the next few seasons.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be anymore upgrades at the SCG for a long time if ever but the Swans could play up to 3 x matches at Olympic Park/Accor each season against the powerhouse Melbourne sides (Collingwood,Carlton,Richmond,Essendon and maybe Geelong and I think they would pull upwards of 60,000 on a regular basis - the few million dollars (I think it was $15 Million back when the stadium was built) that the AFL paid ensure that the Olympic Stadium has ability to have an oval shape could pay big dividends in the furture if the Swans get on a roll over the next few seasons.
It won't happen. The AFL may enforce finals out there, but the Swans made an active decision to abandon playing there. It is a shit place to watch footy, and fans voted with their feet over the long period they played games there. Were some big crowds early on, but it dwindled over time, even when the Swans were going well and drawing pretty big crowds regularly at the SCG.

There will at some point be upgrades at the SCG, because there will have to be. But it won't be any time soon - there is zero money in the Government coffers, as good as the SCG Trust are at extracting it. A replacement for the Brewongle Stand would be nice however- good view, but dreadful frigging stand.

It won't happen. The AFL may enforce finals out there, but the Swans made an active decision to abandon playing there. It is a shit place to watch footy, and fans voted with their feet over the long period they played games there. Were some big crowds early on, but it dwindled over time, even when the Swans were going well and drawing pretty big crowds regularly at the SCG.

There will at some point be upgrades at the SCG, because there will have to be. But it won't be any time soon - there is zero money in the Government coffers, as good as the SCG Trust are at extracting it. A replacement for the Brewongle Stand would be nice however- good view, but dreadful frigging stand.
But, but, Gladys said NSW could have it all, including a knock down rebuild of the Olympic stadium that's not even 25 years old.

Quite sure when attended a couple games when the new Brandman/Noble stand was being constructed there was this info on display around the ground.

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/scg/redevelopment
scg6.jpg

Only chance of us playing home games at Accor again is maybe for a couple of games when the next stand gets demolished, which at this rate, is going to be the Brewongle-Churchill Stands and it would make sense to give the demolition team time to remove the old stand as well as set up temporary change/warm up rooms for the Swans somewhere behind the Member's Pavilion. Last year my tour guide told me that the Media Centre in the Brewongle has been subject to complaints in recent times from 7, 9 and Fox Sports, especially regarding the lift, which requires replacement or a major repair soon

Only chance of us playing home games at Accor again is maybe for a couple of games when the next stand gets demolished, which at this rate, is going to be the Brewongle-Churchill Stands and it would make sense to give the demolition team time to remove the old stand as well as set up temporary change/warm up rooms for the Swans somewhere behind the Member's Pavilion. Last year my tour guide told me that the Media Centre in the Brewongle has been subject to complaints in recent times from 7, 9 and Fox Sports, especially regarding the lift, which requires replacement or a major repair soon
We didn't move games when they did Stage 2 - but as you say, the Brenwongle/Churchill has media etc that might make the more difficult. It's all academic to some degree for now I think - I don't think there will be money any time soon for upgrades. But then again - they found $40m recently to upgrade Leichardt Oval (which has character and charm - but all of about 3 league games a year), so maybe somewhere a magic pudding can be found. I'd love to see those stands upgraded next - they have a good view, but the facilities are in general outdated and poor.

I fully expect the AFL will try and move at least one of our finals out to dumpsville this year, given how strong our crowds have been.

From speaking to people I know well at VenuesNSW, there’s a precisely 0% chance of any SCG upgrade over the next 10-15 years.

Currently, funds are being deployed on the new Penrith Stadium + Sporting Club of Sydney new upgrade (next to SCG). That’s scheduled to be completed 2026.

That said, that latter upgrade will include a 4-storey car park which will better open up the possibility of a stadium upgrade down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back