News Isaac Cumming to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't need Luko for goodness sake, I'm not even sure we need Cumming. We need a bloody elite MIDFIELDER! Both are a nice get if they don't cost the earth. Luko at 7 years and multi million $$$ (and a likely first round pick) is not worth it IMO. I remain neutral about Cumming. It won't be the end of the earth if we don't get him. It will be very disappointing if we get nobody we set out to get.
well out current list cant afford to bank on "organic growth" poor drafting from 2015-20 has put us in this hole we are in. we need to be VERY aggressive in trading and luring Free agents. i would even trade our next two first round picks cos what is the point in drafting these kids with our early picks when the club almost always messes it up or the player we pick wants to go home. offer first round picks for established players that we need. we cant afford to keep going at this rate.. 7 years no finals, a failed rebuild. the club is a mess on and off the park.

We didn't need Luko for goodness sake, I'm not even sure we need Cumming. We need a bloody elite MIDFIELDER! Both are a nice get if they don't cost the earth. Luko at 7 years and multi million $$$ (and a likely first round pick) is not worth it IMO. I remain neutral about Cumming. It won't be the end of the earth if we don't get him. It will be very disappointing if we get nobody we set out to get.

Exactly. We don't need another flanker/half back. We need mids. The problem is we've become the North Melb/St Kilda of the league in that we throw 10 year multi million dollar offers in front of players like Gulden and it isn't enough to overcome disinterest from the type of player we need. Whether that's perceptions of the coach, football department, seven years without finals or just our developing reputation of increasing irrelevance.

Every year we fail to land an elite midfielder it gets harder.

The club is looking desperate throwing money at players who might be gettable, whether or not we actually need them.

Exactly. We don't need another flanker/half back. We need mids. The problem is we've become the North Melb/St Kilda of the league in that we throw 10 year multi million dollar offers in front of players like Gulden and it isn't enough to overcome disinterest from the type of player we need. Whether that's perceptions of the coach, football department, seven years without finals or just our developing reputation of increasing irrelevance.

Every year we fail to land an elite midfielder it gets harder.

The club is looking desperate throwing money at players who might be gettable, whether or not we actually need them.
Yes we need mids, but we also need speed, and run/carry on the outside

Other than Ryan, who hasn't played a game yet, are any of our HB/wing types that type of player? Hinge/Nank/Sholl/Dowling/Curtin aren't really types that run the ball up the ground at pace. In fact, the only best 22 player we have that can do that is Rankine

Cumming certainly fills a gap in our squad

Other than Ryan, who hasn't played a game yet, are any of our HB/wing types that type of player? Hinge/Nank/Sholl/Dowling/Curtin aren't really types that run the ball up the ground at pace. In fact, the only best 22 player we have that can do that is Rankine

TO be fair to Hinge and Nank, they do at times.

Speed is a real worry with our current list.

Laird, Crouch, Walker, ROB, TT, Curtin Fog is 1/3 of a team who are pretty slow. I think it is too much.

Hoping Curtin gets more athletic if his knee gets fixed.

I've never understood the desperation clubs and their supporters create at the trade table. The huge amounts of money and high draft picks moved around to get people to change clubs. I appreciate that some players will make incremental improvements but - and in this basket I put ANB, Cumming and Luko - but that is not what is going to really move us forward to where we want to be.
Improvement is the capacity to get the right draft picks, move the wrong players on quickly, draft the right players, build their skills and fitness, create a gameplan that works and then have them all playing to a winning drumbeat that gets the flag! There are plenty of examples of this - Geelong and Sydney right now, Richmond in the past. And Brisbane is the opposite of this - in terms of drafting, but they have the rest in spades! Sure, a couple of timely imports at the right time might just get you over the line, but its the whole club effort that wins the flag.

Plus, imagine being a player in a club, still sitting around the bottom of the table, looking across the change room at the end of a game at some middle level player your club traded in who's getting twice your money and is not making any more difference than you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood the desperation clubs and their supporters create at the trade table. The huge amounts of money and high draft picks moved around to get people to change clubs. I appreciate that some players will make incremental improvements but - and in this basket I put ANB, Cumming and Luko - but that is not what is going to really move us forward to where we want to be.
Improvement is the capacity to get the right draft picks, move the wrong players on quickly, draft the right players, build their skills and fitness, create a gameplan that works and then have them all playing to a winning drumbeat that gets the flag! There are plenty of examples of this - Geelong and Sydney right now, Richmond in the past. And Brisbane is the opposite of this - in terms of drafting, but they have the rest in spades! Sure, a couple of timely imports at the right time might just get you over the line, but its the whole club effort that wins the flag.

Plus, imagine being a player in a club, still sitting around the bottom of the table, looking across the change room at the end of a game at some middle level player your club traded in who's getting twice your money and is not making any more difference than you.
Ignore all this - or some of it anyway!! Very pleased Cumming will be a Crow!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Isaac Cumming to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back