News Isaac Cumming to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

It does beg the question though, if our list quality is so much better than Port's, who just played in yet another prelim final, why did we finish 15th?

Why did our coaching group get so little out of our list compared to what Port's got out of theirs?
You have to look at the relative experience levels ....and in what positions

Port was in the window for the now ....had some big names in the midfield ....but really poor depth in the 22 and beyond

We have the much deeper list, but our age & experience demographic meant we couldn't handle the level of injuries to key players, that we had this year

The key requirement this year was continuity, gelling of players, playing consistently with each other, so as to play instinctive footy .....that didn't happen, and IIRC we played something like 42 players this year

Longterm injured players Thilthorpe, Worrell, and Murray will be much better next year with some continuity .....Rankine missing 7 games .....and no-one plays 4 rookies in a team, and expects to win ....nevermind, a team that is already inexperienced

Cumming is at that sweet spot age where his best footy is ahead of him

Exciting acquisition- his speed, footballs and footy iq will be priceless to the team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is exactly right, just like Dawson, and exemplifies the type of guy we should be prioritising.

You have to look at the relative experience levels ....and in what positions

Port was in the window for the now ....had some big names in the midfield ....but really poor depth in the 22 and beyond

We have the much deeper list, but our age & experience demographic meant we couldn't handle the level of injuries to key players, that we had this year

The key requirement this year was continuity, gelling of players, playing consistently with each other, so as to play instinctive footy .....that didn't happen, and IIRC we played something like 42 players this year

Longterm injured players Thilthorpe, Worrell, and Murray will be much better next year with some continuity .....Rankine missing 7 games .....and no-one plays 4 rookies in a team, and expects to win ....nevermind, a team that is already inexperienced

It sounds like our list was so shallow that every long-term injury necessitated playing a rookie.

Presumably that either means our list only has 22 good players, or that we have a bunch of good players who have been previously deprived of experience.

Wayne’s also bypassing the fact Nicks failed to convince Luko when he went up there
I have no love for Nicks, but I don't think that's the issue.
I suspect Luko was leaning towards Port all along, but a 7 year deal is insane. He would be crazy not to take it.
I'm glad we didn't offer it. He's a good fit at Port, and not as much of a need for us.

It sounds like our list was so shallow that every long-term injury necessitated playing a rookie.

Presumably that either means our list only has 22 good players, or that we have a bunch of good players who have been previously deprived of experience.
A bit of all of the above ....however a lot of the next wave of good players have only been on the list 2-3 years

I have trouble seeing how ANB improves us. Murphy shouldn’t be in our side obviously, but I would prefer to see Pedlar in his spot rather than ANB. Then Taylor, Dowling or Edwards should be getting games before him also. It’s just not a part of the ground that we need an experienced but vanilla player in.

I think ANB goes under the radar a bit. Statistical pretty good - but also 3 (and will be 4) top 10 finishes in the B&F in a row

Had 24 and kicked a goal in their GF win
Also had 27 in their semi win that year

Has generally performed in finals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Excellent, glad to have that one locked away. I was fairly confident it would go our way, but nice to have it confirmed.

Now to orchestrate a cheap trade for ANB, and to hit the draft with our first two picks intact :thumbsu:
This would have been essential had we missed Cumming, but it's equally true that we should be just as focussed on this now.
It might help if we bombarded AFC HQ with emails pointing out how vital it is to maximise pick 25 now that Welsh is low.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think ANB goes under the radar a bit. Statistical pretty good - but also 3 (and will be 4) top 10 finishes in the B&F in a row

Had 24 and kicked a goal in their GF win
Also had 27 in their semi win that year

Has generally performed in finals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

People on here seriously under-rating his consistency

We are a team that lacks leadership and consistency, he will help us become a more consistent team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

you've been on the LDU train for a while too, can you manifest a bit of that now please
I've been trying to manifest it, he hasn't signed yet so maybe next year is the year.

Ever since that North game at Adelaide Oval were he tore us a new one in the first half I was like, gotta get LDU to the club.

If he's available you know the Collingwood Essendon and Carlton's of the world would be all over him and we wouldn't get a look in.

Need like a sneak attack this year to be any chance but he's contracted so North would likely say no.

A fit Cumming, Thilly, pick 4, and ANB makes our round one team a lot better than last year’s. Competition for spots helps too.
More important is the players that are out of the team. Smith, Murphy, Burgess and McHenry.....

Yep, both should help address pretty significant weaknesses

Now the focus needs to be on attracting or drafting top-end talent for our midfield, over the coming years
I’d say draft a top end midfield such as Draper, FOS or Lalor and blood games into them from round one. I’d also string games into Curtin, Dowling and Taylor unless injured.

I’d love for us to start looking for a ruckman and small forward too.

One can hope aha

I have no love for Nicks, but I don't think that's the issue.
I suspect Luko was leaning towards Port all along, but a 7 year deal is insane. He would be crazy not to take it.
I'm glad we didn't offer it. He's a good fit at Port, and not as much of a need for us.
That’s right. Jack Watts for 7 years? Kill me now

I’d say draft a top end midfield such as Draper, FOS or Lalor and blood games into them from round one. I’d also string games into Curtin, Dowling and Taylor unless injured.

I’d love for us to start looking for a ruckman and small forward too.

One can hope aha
Yeah any of those guys or Smith would do me, realistically none will be stars for a couple of years but it’ll be nice to have them in the pipeline

Still hoping we trade the F2 for ANB. Grab Dodson if he’s there at 25, otherwise grab a small forward like Hannaford

Remove this Banner Ad

News Isaac Cumming to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back