Israel Folau leaves the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Story is now blowing up on Twitter after being reported on SEN, press conference set for 4:00pm.

Big news if true and very disappointing to see him not stick it out. You'd have to think this paves the way for Kurt Tippett in the forward/ruck role.

i always knew he was too lazy to become an AFL player. he didnt like running or training in explosive NRL training. what chance was there that he would become a middle distance runner?

Sounds like it's the case - AFL.com.au has the story and they usually only post something up if it's got legs, i.e. everyone else has it all but confirmed.
Not exactly true, the AFL website and the Geelong website it run's had stories up a week ago saying Stephenson and Gillies had been de-listed. Later the club said that no official changes had been made.
That been said this story is running everywhere and Geelong did end up de-list Gillies and Stephenson.

i always knew he was too lazy to become an AFL player. he didnt like running or training in explosive NRL training. what chance was there that he would become a middle distance runner?
Watch it, people said a lot of similar stuff about the guy in your avatar pic, even if he was more of an endurance player

Story is now blowing up on Twitter after being reported on SEN, press conference set for 4:00pm.

Big news if true and very disappointing to see him not stick it out. You'd have to think this paves the way for Kurt Tippett in the forward/ruck role.

Folau contract isn't in the Giants salary cap so you might not have room for Tippett.

Israel Folau poised for NRL return with Parramatta Eels

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frg7mf-1226508425902

Israel Folau is set walk out on the Greater Western Sydney Giants and return to rugby league Source: news.com.au
ISRAEL Folau is on the verge of a return to rugby league next year with Parramatta.

The former NRL star, who has spent the past two years in the AFL with Greater Western Sydney, is expected to announce later today that he is quitting the Giants.

The Australian understands the Eels, a club now coached by Ricky Stuart, have been in talks with Folau and plans to conduct further discussions with the NRL over the prospect of signing the former Queensland and Australian back.
Folau will have to accept a cut in salary to rejoin the NRL after being on multi-million dollar deal in the AFL .
Parramatta chief executive Ken Edwards confirmed the club’s interest in Folau.
“We would be very interested in talking to Israel,” Edwards said.
“We think Israel would be a great fit.”
Asked about the salary cap implications of signing Folau, Edwards said: “Salary cap in the first year would probably be an issue for us. It’s something we need to work through with the NRL and discuss with the NRL. In terms of years after 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 would not be an issue for us.”

Herald Sun‎ - 7 minutes ago
ISRAEL Folau's AFL career appears over. A press conference to be attended by both Kevin Sheedy and Folau has been called for 4pm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Folau contract isn't in the Giants salary cap so you might not have room for Tippett.
There was talk that their might've been room anyway, part of Folau's contract comes under the cap (like Hunt's, $200-300k) so it'll at least provide some breathing room for Tippett or extensions to Patton, Tyson, WHE and co.

I think that cap wise they had room anyway, it was more of a list wise thing (which would open up)

Folau's contract wasn't counted against the cap and Folau didn't count against the list as a elite sportsman recruit, same as Hunt. Doesn't really affect the club's recruiting one way or the other, but may allow it to post a profit earlier funnily enough.

Folau's contract wasn't counted against the cap and Folau didn't count against the list as a elite sportsman recruit, same as Hunt. Doesn't really affect the club's recruiting one way or the other, but may allow it to post a profit earlier funnily enough.
part of his wage was included but the majority wasn't so could have a minor impact

There was talk that their might've been room anyway, part of Folau's contract comes under the cap (like Hunt's, $200-300k) so it'll at least provide some breathing room for Tippett or extensions to Patton, Tyson, WHE and co.
Any thoughts on a new user name? ;) Maybe Scully2Tippett might be the go

part of his wage was included but the majority wasn't so could have a minor impact

Just checked the rules.

Only Folau's match payments would count in the cap plus a prorated amount of his base amount depending on the number of games played: (Base payment * Games Played / 52) + Match Payments + Bonus Payments. Minimal since his base payment is actually low, it's the AFL promotions contract that tops it up around the $1m mark.

The positive is that he's come out and declared his intentions now. Before trade week might've been handy, but at least he's not holding on for another year or two if he's not invested in the club and the game. Now we can move on in the draft and get ready for 2013 and beyond.

i heard he was a lazy trainer BEFORE he went to AFL. i still believe he has better AFL skills than hunt. but hunt has a go. folau is lazy.

its a good example for young blokes looking to do well as a senior. folau has all the advantages over hunt; height, weight, speed, marking ability, talent, etc. hunt just tries harder. he pushes himself. he dedicates himself.

i thought hunt was too much of a meathead to become an AFL 'sophisticate'. he proved me wrong. i thought izzy might find a role that didnt include running too much, but obviously ive misjudged the game of AFL.

but i cant say im sorry that one of the PI experiments failed. AFL matches the australian demographic. NRL now has over 45% of pacific island kids in their under 20s comp. the NRL is flooded with big, talented PI men. i dont begrudge them their talent or opportunity. but NRL could turn it round a bit with less interchange...which they refuse to do.it will kill the game from the bottom up. juniors parents dont want their kids playing monsters.

but the change for interchange is something that is inevitable in AFL. the interchange will be slashed to make athletes run more. that will keep AFL 'australian'. and free of a small population of 'explosive' athletes. it will also keep the demographic picture of the australian population reflected in AFL. not the NRL.

that, is a winner. the AFL over the next 20 years are going to domminate QLD and NSW if the NRL dont address their image to parents. it looks, and is brutal. parents care for their kids. they dont want them monstered. the NRL is going the way of americas NFL. gridiron can get away with it. its americas game, but it has no competition. but NRL has a compeditor that the american game doesnt. australia has its own game that reflects its demographics more evenly. that game is AFL. AFL is going to slaughter the NRL in the next 20 years in QLD and NSW...

Understandable, all that negative coverage in the media must have some effect on you. Considering 18 y/o's KPP who come into the afl system take a good 3-5 years to flourish, his development was never going to come on overnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Israel Folau leaves the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back