List Mgmt. Ivan Soldo requests trade

Remove this Banner Ad

The club didn't probably expect Sweet to be as good as he turned out (4th in the league for HOs), and that he and Soldo may have been fairly close in their ability, with perhaps injury/availability separating them.

Probably best he pursues opportunities elsewhere. The success of a ruckman is really luck and timing above all else.
The new ruck rule has assisted the bigger blokes like Sweet who was our big surpirse this year,

There will be no tough stance we don't operate that way lol it'll be whatever helps us do other things or picks we may need for F/S or whatever. I'd be interested in finding another mature backup myself.

We don’t need picks for f/s

They’re going to be very late bids, if not rookie listed.

we can match them with junk picks we already have.

Hell, Montgomery is not even certain to be picked up at all really.

I supported getting both Soldo and Sweet in, because I thought Visentini was too raw.

But this year he's shown enough improvement to be a good enough No.2 option.
Yep. Visentini is on the verge of being ready.

He's a more than solid #2. He will need games too. As #2 he should get the handful his development will need. By 2026/2027 he may well have taken the number 1 mantle.

We needed a stop gap for one year till this was the case. Hence why I was always against trading for 2, it seemed silly to fill a 1 year gap. If it works out though that we get a 2nd back for Soldo though, then that's a good result, we got that 1 year gap filled at limited cost.

Jon Ralph:
But the trade value of mid-tier rucks is usually about pick 40-50 and he is due around $500,000 for each of the next two seasons, so they would let him go given Dante Visentini is a solid back-up.
Lol, when Port were trading for him, he was worth the world. Same player a year later is pick 50. Haha.

Likely that Ross thinks he might get more out of Marshall (and perhaps out of Max King too) by playing Marshall as the main forward marking target. So Soldo’s value is as a solid mature-bodied ruck who can at least hold his own for a year or three while his younger rucks develop.

Soldo should suit that role pretty well, but it puts a bit of pressure on their current young tall forwards Owens and Caminiti, and gives them a squad that’s bursting at the seams with ruckman, given their promising youngsters that other posters have mentioned - Jack Hayes, and Keeler. All of whom are worth our interest if we’re looking for a promising young ruck to be our number 3.

Pity he got injured. Started the season well. Sweet doesn't mark the ball enough. That's where Soldo has him covered.
I reckon the plus with Sweet is he's more durable, a touch smarter with his tap work & surprisingly ok in general play for a big lumbering guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ivan Soldo requests trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back