Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Since 2010

2011 Geelong win then don't return to the big dance until 2020 (and are well beaten, with an ageing list).

2012 Sydney beat Hawks and haven't won one since. We're smacked in 2014, and beaten by a non top 4 Bulldogs team in 16'. Were absolutely obliterated in 22' (one of the most embarrassing GF performances I've witnessed)

2013-2015 = Hawks dynasty. I talked to a Hawks fan who very passionately said "any coach could have won with those generational players". Not sure about that, but their list was amazingly talented.

(also remember Freo, Sydney and Geelong each had several top 4 finishes during this time and didn't get the job done each time).

2016 Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn finish equal top on wins, and Sydney eventually lose to a 7th placed Bulldogs.

2017 beginning of the Richmond dynasty after major club upheaval.

2018 West Coast pinch one IMO (from Richmond, who got full of themselves, leading to a boil over prelim loss to us), and Collingwood come within 5 points of a flag despite only scraping in to top 4.

2019 Richmond dominate (keep in mind Richmond never play a Victorian team in a GF at the MCG during their dynasty).

2020 Richmond beat Geelong well in the COVID year and Gary Ab Jrs final game.

Richmond decline quickly soon after, and Dimma is gone within 18 months.

2021 Melbourne obliterate Bulldogs in one of the most stunning GF performances. They look like a dynasty team. Have not returned to the big dance since, and have had arguably the most damaging 2 years of any club, culturally, since that point.

2022 an immensely dominant Geelong team belt everyone in their path in Joel Selwood's final year. Miss finals the next year after some retirements. Start this year strong, now who knows where they're at (doing well again, but also lost to GCS by 100 or whatever - doesn't often happen in a premiership year). Given their many top 4 finishes, widely hailed program, coaching and success, and the fact that they have attracted the best free agents of any club (Dangerfield, Cameron, Smith), this is their first flag in a decade (11 years).

2023 Pies are the best team most of the year but have a sputtering end (we got SMACKED by Hawks in late 23' too), and win an all-time great, close Finals Series which left next to no margin for error.

Our flag somehow came despite very few top 10 picks or highly regarded FAs in the past 10 years. We have been exceptionally lucky with Father Son prospects and hitting on some other mid draft targets that have come good.

It also came despite major club culture issues being rectified, including racism, poor contract management, poor coaching and game plan, a president who never shut up (just to name a few).

We had also come through what I'd have called our flag window: 2018(beginning) - 2020. We ultimately got pants'ed by Geelong in 2020 which ended that for us and ushered in a dark 21'.

We were looking down the barrel of a full rebuild. Only hindsight heroes would say they expected us to bounce back and make a prelim (1 point and a bad Papley call off making a GF) in 2022 after how putrid we'd gone out in 2020, and how poor a position our whole club was in in 2021.

Instead, we pinch (or whatever) a flag on perhaps the back end of our flag window with this current group in 2023 (I think if we lost we may have been motivated enough to have another crack in 2024 but you can tell the hunger is not here, and we've been hunted), and now get to do engage in a rebuild with a coach and coaching department full of people who have already transformed our culture.

They've transformed culture and grabbed a flag in the time it takes for clubs to usually only do the first. Can you not remember how bad things were in 2021? Contracts? Culture? Coaches? All terrible. All cooked.

Yet here we are now, the reigning premiers, facing what seems to be a downward slope for a bit, but in a much better position that we've been in before. Yet somehow only three wins out of 2nd on the ladder lol.

The revision of history is only to show that SO many clubs look like they're going to be the next big thing only to (mostly) underachieve thereafter. Since 2010, only Hawthorn and Richmond have bucked that trend. All of Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide, bulldogs, Melbourne, Freo, West Coast have looked incredible in that time, only to have to go and rebuild or sack coaches (etc etc) a short time later.

I'm sure this is just cold comfort. But I think to be jumping in to the sky is falling crowd or saying Mcrae and co are no good is a bit of a stretch. If we can't bounce back to contend the rest of this season or 2025, then I for one (even as a pessimist) am keen to see what Mcrae and our, genuinely, excellent coaching panel can do with this club through a rebuild.

Remembering, most rebuilding premiers do not have a 21 year old top 5 player in the comp to build around.

Peace out.

So at the end of 2021, doom was upon us, at the end of 2017, doom was upon us.

Never ever, ever, ever since our unexpected 1958 flag have we won a flag with THE best list in the comp, not even 2010, oh so very close but not. In saying that the club dismantled a likely dynasty team through that oh so phuq up of a succession failure plan. Even given that cats team at the time, which was slightly at best better list wise.

We have won our flags on 'we know how to play the game, side by side we stick together, to uphold the magpies name'.

None more evident than last years flag, possibly the least 'talented' list to win it in the AFL era, ever.

If you'd argue that our list was better than the lions on that day, or the giants or even the blose, I'd say you're stupid.

So here we are again, doom is upon us, our 'best' and 'consistent' players are 30+ and at the end of their careers.

Yeah I've seen this movie before.

We've contended and won our last 3 flags on the back of development of players and game plan.

Mathews, MM and Fly have all known this, and have spoken this publicly, albeit never admitting we've never had THE best list to win it.

Most posters and mods in here will know, I've been banging on about development since I joined here in 2016, it's been the one key to our success.

Game and player development, certainly NOT list. In saying that we've recruited the pieces we need to win it, Bobby Hill, DC, Rambeua come to mind < not necessarily THE best talent, none the less the development of those players have led to success.

Yeah I've seen this movie before.

If anyone thinks we're just gonna fall off a cliff, look at our history and think again.

We consistently, consistently contend, if you don't think we can once again, then think again.

Que?

Were 2017 and 2021 post Premiership seasons that I missed somehow?

Post 1990 we went into the dark for many many years

Post 2010/2011 we declined year on year until the anomalies of 18/19 (Thanks to Longmuir)

So if anything, history actually shows we’re more than likely on the verge of some pretty dark years.

Again, if you’re choosing to reference history, which the OP does, but incorrectly?

Que?

Were 2017 and 2021 post Premiership seasons that I missed somehow?

Post 1990 we went into the dark for many many years

Post 2010/2011 we declined year on year until the anomalies of 18/19 (Thanks to Longmuir)

So if anything, history actually shows we’re more than likely on the verge of some pretty dark years.

Again, if you’re choosing to reference history, which the OP does, but incorrectly?
Incorrect imo.

Post after 2011 we declined because of fwit Eddie, and that stupendous failure plan, and the club gobbled it up, Nathan and Derek dismantled what should've been.

Post 2017 we contended an oh so close to a flag that we shouldn't have even contended, the list difference from that past year was marginal, at best.

Post 2021, the same deal, we contended not on the back of list but on the back of system, not list.

We always, always content, always, which ever you wanna boil it down and dissect it, we always contend.

How the phuq we always do is not down to list, it's always, ALWAYS been down to development of game and players in that game development. Bookmark this thread, we will contend again next year.

Our history over the last 20 odd years suggests we are in serious contention for two years before we fall and then come again.

02/03 Two GF followed but 2 years of non finals appearances.

10/11 We win a flag 7 years after our last GF. One Premiership, one GF. 4 years of non finals appearances between 2014-2017.

18/19 Narrow GF loss 7 years after our last GF. One GF, one narrow PF loss. Finish 2nd last in 2021.

22/23 Premiership 5 years after our last GF. One narrow PF loss, one flag. Non finals appearance in 24.

Looking back now 2022 was our missed opportunity to go B2B last year.

I actually think we might turn our Premiership hopes around quicker if we bottom out for a couple of seasons.

2 years on from the flag I doubt all the veterans who played a vital role in 23 can provide anywhere near that level next season and unless something drastically changes over the Summer and we see major improvement from a host of juniors we don't look to have the cattle to pick up the slack.

We have been exceptionally lucky with Father Son prospects …

Not that lucky.

Sure, Nick Daicos is great.

D.Moore we paid a fair price for.

And we got Josh at Pick 57 with our final pick, so 17 other clubs could have picked him up if they wanted to.

Kelly was a bust

C.Brown was a bust

T.Brown was a bust

Since 2010

2011 Geelong win then don't return to the big dance until 2020 (and are well beaten, with an ageing list).

2012 Sydney beat Hawks and haven't won one since. We're smacked in 2014, and beaten by a non top 4 Bulldogs team in 16'. Were absolutely obliterated in 22' (one of the most embarrassing GF performances I've witnessed)

2013-2015 = Hawks dynasty. I talked to a Hawks fan who very passionately said "any coach could have won with those generational players". Not sure about that, but their list was amazingly talented.

(also remember Freo, Sydney and Geelong each had several top 4 finishes during this time and didn't get the job done each time).

2016 Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn finish equal top on wins, and Sydney eventually lose to a 7th placed Bulldogs.

2017 beginning of the Richmond dynasty after major club upheaval.

2018 West Coast pinch one IMO (from Richmond, who got full of themselves, leading to a boil over prelim loss to us), and Collingwood come within 5 points of a flag despite only scraping in to top 4.

2019 Richmond dominate (keep in mind Richmond never play a Victorian team in a GF at the MCG during their dynasty).

2020 Richmond beat Geelong well in the COVID year and Gary Ab Jrs final game.

Richmond decline quickly soon after, and Dimma is gone within 18 months.

2021 Melbourne obliterate Bulldogs in one of the most stunning GF performances. They look like a dynasty team. Have not returned to the big dance since, and have had arguably the most damaging 2 years of any club, culturally, since that point.

2022 an immensely dominant Geelong team belt everyone in their path in Joel Selwood's final year. Miss finals the next year after some retirements. Start this year strong, now who knows where they're at (doing well again, but also lost to GCS by 100 or whatever - doesn't often happen in a premiership year). Given their many top 4 finishes, widely hailed program, coaching and success, and the fact that they have attracted the best free agents of any club (Dangerfield, Cameron, Smith), this is their first flag in a decade (11 years).

2023 Pies are the best team most of the year but have a sputtering end (we got SMACKED by Hawks in late 23' too), and win an all-time great, close Finals Series which left next to no margin for error.

Our flag somehow came despite very few top 10 picks or highly regarded FAs in the past 10 years. We have been exceptionally lucky with Father Son prospects and hitting on some other mid draft targets that have come good.

It also came despite major club culture issues being rectified, including racism, poor contract management, poor coaching and game plan, a president who never shut up (just to name a few).

We had also come through what I'd have called our flag window: 2018(beginning) - 2020. We ultimately got pants'ed by Geelong in 2020 which ended that for us and ushered in a dark 21'.

We were looking down the barrel of a full rebuild. Only hindsight heroes would say they expected us to bounce back and make a prelim (1 point and a bad Papley call off making a GF) in 2022 after how putrid we'd gone out in 2020, and how poor a position our whole club was in in 2021.

Instead, we pinch (or whatever) a flag on perhaps the back end of our flag window with this current group in 2023 (I think if we lost we may have been motivated enough to have another crack in 2024 but you can tell the hunger is not here, and we've been hunted), and now get to do engage in a rebuild with a coach and coaching department full of people who have already transformed our culture.

They've transformed culture and grabbed a flag in the time it takes for clubs to usually only do the first. Can you not remember how bad things were in 2021? Contracts? Culture? Coaches? All terrible. All cooked.

Yet here we are now, the reigning premiers, facing what seems to be a downward slope for a bit, but in a much better position that we've been in before. Yet somehow only three wins out of 2nd on the ladder lol.

The revision of history is only to show that SO many clubs look like they're going to be the next big thing only to (mostly) underachieve thereafter. Since 2010, only Hawthorn and Richmond have bucked that trend. All of Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide, bulldogs, Melbourne, Freo, West Coast have looked incredible in that time, only to have to go and rebuild or sack coaches (etc etc) a short time later.

I'm sure this is just cold comfort. But I think to be jumping in to the sky is falling crowd or saying Mcrae and co are no good is a bit of a stretch. If we can't bounce back to contend the rest of this season or 2025, then I for one (even as a pessimist) am keen to see what Mcrae and our, genuinely, excellent coaching panel can do with this club through a rebuild.

Remembering, most rebuilding premiers do not have a 21 year old top 5 player in the comp to build around.

Peace out.
Thank you for your efforts at perspective. Always welcome at times like this.

Re the text I have highlighted, I’m also very keen to see what McRae can do with a rebuild. But I’m concerned we’ll struggle to hold onto the best of his assistants; and perhaps more concerning, to hold onto McRae himself.

He has on several occasions said publicly that he’s not sure he wants to be a senior coach for the long haul. He has even identified a time frame of 3-5 years (gulp). And he’s frequently referred to his very young family, and how he wants to be a ‘present’ father. Most recently he referred to how time-consuming it is being the Collingwood coach.

The issue then is - can we hold onto him for the long haul of a rebuild?

This is just one article where he talks about his possible tenure. There have been others:

Re the text I have highlighted, I’m also very keen to see what McRae can do with a rebuild. But I’m concerned we’ll struggle to hold onto the best of his assistants; and perhaps more concerning, to hold onto McRae himself.

He has on several occasions said publicly that he’s not sure he wants to be a senior coach for the long haul. He has even identified a time frame of 3-5 years (gulp). And he’s frequently referred to his very young family, and how he wants to be a ‘present’ father. Most recently he referred to how time-consuming it is being the Collingwood coach.

This is just one article where he talks about his possible tenure. There have been others:

So even our coach has lost the hunger after one flag?

No, I think he was saying this before the flag. It’s his perspective on coaching. He’s also seen other coaches suffer under the glare - which as we know is stronger at the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For further perspective:

2020, we had a fire sale of highly contracted players, and others, and the sky fell in and we had no hope of winning a flag in years.

2021, we came 17th and the sky fell in and we had no hope of winning a flag in years.

2022 Prelim Final appearance.

2023 Premiership.

In 2024, the sky is currently falling in (look up) and we have no hope of winning a flag in years (I think one poster on here has suggested 2036 as the next likely flag).

This is a competitive competition. For every winner there is a loser.

We have a governing body in the AFL who do absolutely everything they reasonably can to make every team’s probability of win / loss 50:50. And as more teams have and do enter the competition it gets more and more difficult to win Premierships.

We have a Senior coach who delivered a Premiership a mere 18 games ago. And two years after inheriting a team that finished 17 that many were talking about rebuilding in the way they’re talking rebuilding now. And he presently has the best winning percentage of any current serving Senior Coach.

And yet after a loss to a team that is surging - in the last few months Hawthorn have beaten 3 current top eight teams - many of us ratbag supporters want to sink the boot into him. I know it’s not every supporter, but even if it’s only 1% of the supporter base, it represents thousands who are spewing forth green bile.

Fly is a winner, he’s not a masochist. Dunno why anybody would be the least bit surprised that he wouldn’t see himself staying for the long term.

Last edited:
Not that lucky.

Sure, Nick Daicos is great.

D.Moore we paid a fair price for.

And we got Josh at Pick 57 with our final pick, so 17 other clubs could have picked him up if they wanted to.

Kelly was a bust

C.Brown was a bust

T.Brown was a bust
Good point. I more meant lucky in the sense that 1 is one of the best players in the comp at 21, one just won the Copeland, and the other is now the captain and has been AA (I am aware he's currently not doing well).

As someone who prioritises family over career advancement myself, I understand his reasoning. The weight of being the big dog at the top must be immense. Especially at a club which half the nation hopes will fail.

If he goes of his own accord I think that's fair and reasonable. But to push him out any time soon is crazy. If Mick got a decade and oversaw a rebuild, and Bucks got a decade and oversaw a rebuild, then Craig deserves at least that. He's a way better culture guy than Mick or Bucks ever were.

I'm aware we may lose all of our current assistants at some point. But that's par for the course when you win a flag. Richmond and Hawthorn experienced the same.

2027 is about the right time for a new coach. Perhaps even earlier if we aren't making finals

Based on what metric? I am not even saying you're wrong, but pulling "2027 or earlier" out seems really arbitrary. Why not now? Why not 2035? What are we basing this on? Not making finals, sure, but imagine if Richmond sacked dimma based on that. Or Hawks sacked Clarko between 2009-2011...

For further perspective:

2020, we had a fire sale of highly contracted players, and others, and the sky fell in and we had no hope of winning a flag in years.

2021, we came 17th and the sky fell in and we had no hope of winning a flag in years.

2022 Prelim Final appearance.

2023 Premiership.

In 2024, the sky is currently falling in (look up) and we have no hope of winning a flag in years (I think one poster on here has suggested 2036 as the next likely flag).

Not only were we 17th in 2021, we were the laughing stock of the AFL. Racism scandals, issues with Eddie, salary cap blunders, etc. It was a very dark time. To be one point off making a GF the following year, with virtually our whole squad out of form and our game plan broken in 2021 and our club on its knees... Pretty special!

Now we face a similar situation (most of our list out of form, injured or old, and game plan outdated). Who is to say we can't bounce back sooner than it seems right now?

Perhaps a big chunk of our sky is falling now comes from the level to which many of us boasted and carried on like we were going to be a dynasty team at the end of last year. I got shouted down for saying that if we replayed season 2023 100 times we potentially only win that flag once (remember at one point last year we had Frampton and Johnson playing 1 and 2 ruck?!) - yet here we are. It's not easy to win a flag. Heaps needs to go right, especially when you don't have the most talented list or have injuries.

This is a competitive competition. For every winner there is a loser.

We have a governing body in the AFL who do absolutely everything they reasonably can to make every team’s probability of win / loss 50:50. And as more teams have and do enter the competition it gets more and more difficult to with Premierships.

We have a Senior coach who delivered a Premiership a mere 18 games ago. And two years after inheriting a team that finished 17 that many were talking about rebuilding in the way they’re talking rebuilding now. And he presently has the best winning percentage of any current serving Senior Coach.

And yet after a loss to a team that is surging - in the last few months they’ve beaten 3 current top eight teams - many of us ratbag supporters want to sink the boot into him. I know it’s not every supporter, but even if it’s only 1% of the supporter base, it represents thousands who are spewing forth green bile.

Fly is a winner, he’s not a masochist. Dunno why anybody would be the least bit surprised that he wouldn’t see himself staying for the long term.

Let's also not forget Hawks belted us in a Premiership year. For that matter, Hawks, Carlton and Brisbane all belted us at the end of 2023. We had massive speed wobbles. Yet won. Go figure.

But back on the Hawks - they are possibly the biggest bogey team this club has ever had. So whilst that victory is demoralising, I actually think it's good for the club to have that. It FORCES Mcrae and the squad to self reflect. It wasn't an honourable loss. It wasn't close. At one point it was 17-75. That's an abliteration.

It needed to happen to take the "we played hard and only missed the result by a couple goals" excuse away.

However, amidst all this, please don't forget this is the same side that pumped Port, beat Melbourne on KB, and beat Carlton when they were absolutely up and about.

If we won both draws, and beat Saint Kilda (which we should have) all of a sudden we'd be top 4-6.

We're 13th in a year where the distance between 13 and 2 is 2-3 wins.

Incorrect imo.

Post after 2011 we declined because of fwit Eddie, and that stupendous failure plan, and the club gobbled it up, Nathan and Derek dismantled what should've been.

Post 2017 we contended an oh so close to a flag that we shouldn't have even contended, the list difference from that past year was marginal, at best.

Post 2021, the same deal, we contended not on the back of list but on the back of system, not list.

We always, always content, always, which ever you wanna boil it down and dissect it, we always contend.

How the phuq we always do is not down to list, it's always, ALWAYS been down to development of game and players in that game development. Bookmark this thread, we will contend again next year.
Buckley's rebuild post 2011 is what got us a flag last year. What a poor take.

Buckley's rebuild post 2011 is what got us a flag last year. What a poor take.
While I don't want to derail the thread..................

We didn't need a rebuild in the first place, that 2011 team had the highest or 2nd highest % in the comps history if I am correct. Was the 2nd youngest flag team of all time.

But the club bowed down to Eddie and as a result we get a coach with zero head coach experience, wtf?

That's akin to putting your 17 yo nephew, who's never once driven before, behind the wheel of an F1 car, you just don't do it.

A very good chance of at least another flag thrown away, we'll never know, but it's highly likely. That can't be argued, the club phuqed up, anyone claiming Nathan taking over such a team as a good thing needs their head read.

While I don't want to derail the thread..................

We didn't need a rebuild in the first place, that 2011 team had the highest or 2nd highest % in the comps history if I am correct. Was the 2nd youngest flag team of all time.

But the club bowed down to Eddie and as a result we get a coach with zero head coach experience, wtf?

That's akin to putting your 17 yo nephew, who's never once driven before, behind the wheel of an F1 car, you just don't do it.

A very good chance of at least another flag thrown away, we'll never know, but it's highly likely. That can't be argued, the club phuqed up, anyone claiming Nathan taking over such a team as a good thing needs their head read.
Going in to the final round of the year 2011 we had the highest % of all time.

Geelong belted us in the final round and we went down to a modest 150% or so (lol).

2011 we had one of the most dominant teams of all time, with one of the youngest lists - which we'd somehow improved from the 2010 squad through bringing in Krak and Taz - and lost. We carried an injured Tarrant, Reid, and jolly in to the GF and paid the price.

Our list subsequently completely fell apart under Buckley. I think we made a prelim in 2012 and after that we were cooked for 6 years. Brief up period where we overperformed in 2018 and then choked in 2019, and were belted in 2020, before looking like we needed a significant rebuild again.

We then won a flag 2 years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Looking back, looking forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back