Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

SYD supporters swore black n Blue they would get the Crows pick #4 last year......same cyclic arguments as this year with Rankine .....#4 was locked and SYD would get it

SYD had more cred's to the #4 pick, given Dawson finished 2nd in their B&F ......comparatively speaking Gold Coast should receive less for Rankine, based on performance, 10th in this year's B&F

Putting big footy talk aside, last year the club was adamant in the media they would hold onto pick 4(6), this year Kelly has come out and said the club is now open to trading out first rounders. I think the obvious conclusion is pick 5(likely 6) will be involved in the Rankine trade in some form.

I see this one has gone past the 'he's not that good' from Crow fans v 'he's a gun' from GC fan to PSD talk.

Post trade these positions will be reversed by the fans of both clubs.

It's the circle of trading life.
Yeah, Rankine isn't going into the PSD, so most of the posts are much ado about nothing.

Rankine will be traded to the Crows.

When was the last time a player didn't get to their desired club...

Can we stop with the narrative that the Vic media has it 'in for the Crows' ?

Absolute nonsense.
People are just forgetting that much of the AFL media are rubbish & chase internet hits with BS claims... against all clubs. Same for media from every state

So they're only paying 70% of the cap?

Yeah, sounds legit.
Dons are similar to us with plenty of cap space, so they better start throwing money at players who actually want to play for them... mind you they may want to find a coach 1st!

People are just forgetting that much of the AFL media are rubbish & chase internet hits with BS claims... against all clubs. Same for media from every state

Exactly.

The notion that the AFL media is suddenly useful and conscientious to any club depending on where they're located is just the stuff of conspiracy theories.

Sensationalism and clickbait are their stock in trade.

Not as differently as the SA & WA media treats them.
Absolutely. As I have said before on here, thr SA media are biased. They are also biased on a Port vs Crows level.
The WA media are biased. I listened once to a WA radio call of a game and it was as biased as the SA ones are.
By the same token the Vic media are also biased, which also breaks down to a club level. Is Dermo biased towards Hawthorn? Is Lloyd biased towards Essendon? How about Hutchie to Geelong? Brayshaw to North?
We are in a tribalistic game. People have their biases.
The issue is that the National media, that is Channel 7, 9, 10 and Fox, are made up of majority Victorian media. No doubt that's because the National media operate out of Melbourne and Sydney, I get that, but it doesn't take away from the side effect of a Victorian slant in the media.

Absolutely. As I have said before on here, thr SA media are biased. They are also biased on a Port vs Crows level.
The WA media are biased. I listened once to a WA radio call of a game and it was as biased as the SA ones are.
By the same token the Vic media are also biased, which also breaks down to a club level. Is Dermo biased towards Hawthorn? Is Lloyd biased towards Essendon? How about Hutchie to Geelong? Brayshaw to North?
We are in a tribalistic game. People have their biases.
The issue is that the National media, that is Channel 7, 9, 10 and Fox, are made up of majority Victorian media. No doubt that's because the National media operate out of Melbourne and Sydney, I get that, but it doesn't take away from the side effect of a Victorian slant in the media.

So it's OK for your media to be biased, but not for Vic media.

If you want a bigger share of the national TV market, grow.

SYD supporters swore black n Blue they would get the Crows pick #4 last year......same cyclic arguments as this year with Rankine .....#4 was locked and SYD would get it

SYD had more cred's to the #4 pick, given Dawson finished 2nd in their B&F ......comparatively speaking Gold Coast should receive less for Rankine, based on performance, 10th in this year's B&F

Now, that's not how trading works, equitable to other trades .....but I'm struggling to see #5 come into play directly

No-one wants to use the PSD ....no Club ! .....but it's an option, otherwise, what's preventing GC from asking 3 x 1st round picks ???
Sydney supporters... of course they did!

If you want to get a fair indication of what a player is worth you don't ask a supporter base. You will get a much better indication from neutral supporters.

Dawson was never getting Sydney pick 4 with or without the threat of the pre season draft. It was ridiculous for any supporter to think otherwise.

Same thing happens every year. One clubs supporters swear black and blue their player is worth X while the other groups says they are worth Y when in fact it's usually somewhere right in the middle.

As for best and fairest finishes, I doubt any recruiter would just look at placings to work out what a players value is.

Dawson finished 3rd in the best and fairest (not 2nd) but he was also 2 years older than Rankine is now and small forwards don't often poll high votes

Rankine kicked 29 goals in just 17 games this year. He's tracking ok. Compare him to someone like Charlie Cameron who was older than Rankine when he was traded and kicked the same amount of goals in a good side in 6 extra games.

Clearly you are adamant pick 5 won't be used so we may just have to leave it there and come back to discuss once the trade is completed

Yeah, Rankine isn't going into the PSD, so most of the posts are much ado about nothing.

Rankine will be traded to the Crows.

When was the last time a player didn't get to their desired club...

Yeah, although these threads do entertain us in the off season.

I predict pick 5 and change - swapsies on a few random picks here and there..

Now, that's not how trading works, equitable to other trades .....but I'm struggling to see #5 come into play directly

No-one wants to use the PSD ....no Club ! .....but it's an option, otherwise, what's preventing GC from asking 3 x 1st round picks ???

IIRC it was pick swaps of first rounders that most supporters were after.

Asides, in that specific negotiation, the PSD was heavily leveraged for Adelaides trade negotiations.

Not sure if it will be able to be used this time around. Reckon pick 5 will be gone and maybe a late second or future seond to Adelaide all things said and done.

The PSD will prove largely irrelevant in this trade due to the reasons I mentioned above (Essendon or North would swoop). Hence Adelaide & GC will do a deal.
Possibly, but even if no other team would swoop he’s still not heading to the PSD, which is why I don’t understand why we waste our time talking about it tbh

Can we stop with the narrative that the Vic media has it 'in for the Crows' ?

Absolute nonsense.

Mate, did you hear the admonishment, the absolute disdain for Rankine leaving GC and nominating Adelaide? Hear David King banging on? It was like we'd committed a mortal sin just by existing, and a South Australian wanted to come home to us. You've got no idea how bad it is, as you don't experience it in the melbourne vfl-centric bubble. When any of Gunston, Lever, Danger etc...wanted to go home to Melbourne, can you name 1 journalist who spoke up against it?! No, didn't think you could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows got away with paying slight unders for Dawson last year, but not as under as Swans fans would have you believe. Pick 10~ was his range, a very good pick for a very good player.

Unless they can split their pick in a convincing way, they'll probably pay slight overs this year given the deal they've put in front of Rankine. The PSD is ludicrous talk, Rankine wouldn't do it to GC.

Mate, did you hear the admonishment, the absolute disdain for Rankine leaving GC and nominating Adelaide? Hear David King banging on? It was like we'd committed a mortal sin just by existing, and a South Australian wanted to come home to us. You've got no idea how bad it is, as you don't experience it in the melbourne vfl-centric bubble. When any of Gunston, Lever, Danger etc...wanted to go home to Melbourne, can you name 1 journalist who spoke up against it?! No, didn't think you could.

It's only cos you guys are paying him $850-900k when those were established players who got similar or less.

The persecution complex is strong from Crows fans. No one is out to get you.

C
Sydney supporters... of course they did!

If you want to get a fair indication of what a player is worth you don't ask a supporter base. You will get a much better indication from neutral supporters.

Dawson was never getting Sydney pick 4 with or without the threat of the pre season draft. It was ridiculous for any supporter to think otherwise.

Same thing happens every year. One clubs supporters swear black and blue their player is worth X while the other groups says they are worth Y when in fact it's usually somewhere right in the middle.

As for best and fairest finishes, I doubt any recruiter would just look at placings to work out what a players value is.

Dawson finished 3rd in the best and fairest (not 2nd) but he was also 2 years older than Rankine is now and small forwards don't often poll high votes

Rankine kicked 29 goals in just 17 games this year. He's tracking ok. Compare him to someone like Charlie Cameron who was older than Rankine when he was traded and kicked the same amount of goals in a good side in 6 extra games.

Clearly you are adamant pick 5 won't be used so we may just have to leave it there and come back to discuss once the trade is completed
Cameron had two years left on a contract and was only 23 years old (1 year older than Rankine)
The premium you have to pay to get a player who's contracted is quite sharp.
So with him in contract that puts them in a similar trade value. 22 vs 23 means nothing.

Have you got a copy of that contract offer have you? Let’s have a look
Good luck with that!..

I asked him the same thing last week when he was making claims based on the the anount of money the crows were offering Rankine..

His response was “I dont need to know the facts to form an opinion”!..

Which club can possibly have 2 first round picks this year to split with Adelaide anyway, assuming the Lions will use their McStay compo on Josh Dunkley ?

I can't see it possibly happening, Suns won't settle for anything than a top 10 pick THIS YEAR for Rankine, so Crows fans here just have to accept their pick 5 is going to Gold Coast, it is what it is, unless they somehow trade their future 2021 pick for a top 10 pick this year (which seems unlikely)

Which club can possibly have 2 first round picks this year to split with Adelaide anyway, assuming the Lions will use their McStay compo on Josh Dunkley ?

I can't see it possibly happening, Suns won't settle for anything than a top 10 pick THIS YEAR for Rankine, so Crows fans here just have to accept their pick 5 is going to Gold Coast, it is what it is, unless they somehow trade their future 2021 pick for a top 10 pick this year (which seems unlikely)
Why does it have to be a top 10 pick. The club might decide to split the pick for a 1st this year and next year and pass on a mid 1st and a 2nd to GC say and expect nothing back.

Geez this one keeps going around in circles.

When was the last time this has happened?

Once again, Gold Coast didn't do a deal for Jack Martin and they had the cap space AND Pick 1 in the PSD, and they still didn't select him.

It's a BigFooty fairy tale that's fuelled by Vic Media. Despite the fact that it's likely never going to happen, and a trade is going to take place, if it did get to the PSD Rankine just nominates a salary of $1.2m for 2 years. There are also other personal terms that can be placed into the contract.

If he nominated for the National Draft there's even less chance of him going anywhere, as he can nominate the same salary and contract terms, and a team has to cough up a high-end draft pick.

Not happening.
I'd expect us to take him if he was available.

Funny, I used to work in an AFL Club's finance department. One of my duties was signing as witness on player contracts. Funnily enough, I (or anyone else at the Club) had to sign a NDA.

What role are you in that you have a NDA?
Yeeted Suns is actually Tony Cochrane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back