Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i only really care about what happens onfield. We've only won one flag in the last 15 years, so you can't say we've been managed fabulously, but weve also only missed the finals 4 times, so management certainly hasn't been dire. Although its been 4 of the last 7. I think our management have become too emotionally attached to our coaches.
and Eddie too emotionally attached to everything

In 2010 we phased out Tarks, Obree, Fraser and lost the young goal kicker - Jack Anthony.

Next year we may be in a position to add a couple of mature guys to have a full on tilt in 2022, after having given a few young blokes a taste of finals in 2021.

I'm looking forward to 2021 and seeing some kids develop.

We also phased out and Medhurst. Presti also retired that year. And Leon was dropped for the GF replay.

The players we brought in (Jolly, Ball, and L Brown the year prior, as well as Tarrant and Krakouer the year after) were temporary fixes being late in their careers. The rest of the improvement came from players already on our list, many of whom were late picks or rookie picks. No first year players either.

In 2010 we phased out Tarks, Obree, Fraser and lost the young goal kicker - Jack Anthony.

Next year we may be in a position to add a couple of mature guys to have a full on tilt in 2022, after having given a few young blokes a taste of finals in 2021.

I'm looking forward to 2021 and seeing some kids develop.
Tarks, O’Bree, Fraser and Anthony.

No disrespect to the first three becuase they were bloody good servants to the club long term but these names don’t compare in quality to Treloar and Stevenson.

It would be more akin to losing Thomas and Sidebottom.

i only really care about what happens onfield. We've only won one flag in the last 15 years, so you can't say we've been managed fabulously, but weve also only missed the finals 4 times, so management certainly hasn't been dire. Although its been 4 of the last 7. I think our management have become too emotionally attached to our coaches.
When you look at the results they seem mid table it’s when you look at all the opportunities the club has stuffed up to getting us above that makes the management look dire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarks, O’Bree, Fraser and Anthony.

No disrespect to the first three becuase they were bloody good servants to the club long term but these names don’t compare in quality to Treloar and Stevenson.

It would be more akin to losing Thomas and Sidebottom.
I missed Medhurst.

Medhurst, Tarks, OBree and Fraser trump Phillips, Treloar, Stephenson and Atu pretty comfortably. I threw in Anthony's name as his first couple years were on par with Stephos - obviously Stepho should end up way above him.

We completely stuffed the trade but it also appears that Stephenson managed to pull off the holy triumphant of poor behaviour this year. Played up off field, trained poorly and didn't perform on game day. All on the back of almost derailing the club's season the year before. Even Swan and Degoey can't lay claim to that level of self sabotage in such a small space of time.

I missed Medhurst.

Medhurst, Tarks, OBree and Fraser trump Phillips, Treloar, Stephenson and Atu pretty comfortably. I threw in Anthony's name as his first couple years were on par with Stephos - obviously Stepho should end up way above him.
Maybe over their whole career they trump Treloar and co but when they left none were best 22 and we even recruited clear upgrades on Fraser and O’Bree with Jolly and Ball the year before.

Our Anthony, Lockyer and Medhurst replacements ended up being Dawes, Blair and Maccaffer so I wouldn’t get too excited on next year on what Treloar’s, Stephenson and Phillips replacements.

I missed Medhurst.

I have to disagree here. Medhurst, Lockyer and Fraser could barely get a senior game in their last year. O'Bree was a maligned player at his best, let alone at the end of his career. Lockyer is a bit like Phillips with much better disposal. When he slowed down and his running mid field role was swapped for a positional role, his game fell away. He was only really a good player when he was constantly on the move. Anthony had long since been found out. Medhurst's best was behind him.

Conversely Stephenson is an elite talent who has had one ordinary season in an extraordinary year. Treloar was one one of our better players and was not able to play as an outside player which would have better suited his disposal skills. Atu is currently no big loss, but he too was young. I think the players we lost this year significantly trump the quartet from 2010.

I have to disagree here. Medhurst, Lockyer and Fraser could barely get a senior game in their last year. O'Bree was a maligned player at his best, let alone at the end of his career. Lockyer is a bit like Phillips with much better disposal. When he slowed down and his running mid field role was swapped for a positional role, his game fell away. He was only really a good player when he was constantly on the move. Anthony had long since been found out. Medhurst's best was behind him.

Conversely Stephenson is an elite talent who has had one ordinary season in an extraordinary year. Treloar was one one of our better players and was not able to play as an outside player which would have better suited his disposal skills. Atu is currently no big loss, but he too was young. I think the players we lost this year significantly trump the quartet from 2010.
I'm really only trying to put a positive spin on all the doom and gloom.

On performance to date, Treloar is the only significant loss. Obviously if Stepho gets his shit together, he will prove to be a massive loss in the future, but let's feel that pain if it comes. At the moment, he's on a par with Thomas and WHE.

And at the end of 2009, we didn't think think Medhurst was in decline. He was All Australian in 2008.

Ultimately I see no reason why we'll be less competitive next year than we've been over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
What a pisser.

Either way (Noble/Harvey) there was going to be some potential baggage there . No doubt he'll wake up , put in the hard yards and become a superstar now :rolleyes:
Would have thought a 10 week suspension for punting on himself might have been something of a wake up. It's almost impressive how quickly he hit the snooze button again.

Why are we still talkingh about him, i loved the bloke but he is a dirty shinboner now, will have one good season and be back on the punt
This is the Stephenson thread...

Yep, spot on, he's gone now and there is nothing we can do about it. Shinboner is the other Norf name
I know what a shin boner is. We got a shit deal for Stevo and Treloar and allot of time in the off season to talk about it I wouldn’t except it to stop until the club fully recovers from it which won’t won’t know for a while. If you want to avoid the Stevo and Treloar talk I’d suggest staying out of this thread and creating one that suggest how the side can improve from and fix our issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back