Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really only trying to put a positive spin on all the doom and gloom.
The positive spin I can think of is we might be bad enough that Buckley finally gets the sack next season.

The positive spin I can think of is we might be bad enough that Buckley finally gets the sack next season.
I'd be happy to see Bucks depart, but I think we'll be better in 2021 than 2020. We've only really lost Treloar of current significance. The other two's current contributions are easily replaced.

I'd be happy to see Bucks depart, but I think we'll be better in 2021 than 2020. We've only really lost Treloar of current significance. The other two's current contributions are easily replaced.
I don’t see us having a better year I think we’ll get more of the same. Stevos 2020 performances yes isn’t a loss but his first two years certainly are and he was one of the players where the improvement could come from.

Unless Buckley radically changes some player roles, which I doubt he will, then I can’t see us going further.

I see more of the same with us sticking with Buckley.

Stevos 2020 performances yes isn’t a loss but his first two years certainly are and he was one of the players where the improvement could come from.

Yeah Stevo was one who we were hoping for improvement from, but in terms of 2020, I think there's a fair bit of scope for improvement from all roles in the 2020 team anyway, except for those that were filled by Adams, Pendlebury, Crisp, Maynard, Mihocek and obviously Treloar. I'll be hoping for significantly more from Sidey, Howe, Grundy, JDG. I'll be hoping for continued improvement from Moore, Quaynor, Daicos, Noble and Madgen. In terms of the rest of the 2020 team, if they don't improve on their 2020 form, I'll be hoping and expecting them to be replaced in the team by someone who does improve on what they offered. And most significantly, I'll be expecting us to employ a more effective game plan and ball movement.

Absolutely, the clubs second highest goal kicker for the season is easily replaced by players who were even more ineffective this year...
I don't know why I'm bothering to respond to someone trying to claim that it will be difficult to replace the quality of footy Jaidyn produced this year ...

I know what a shin boner is. We got a sh*t deal for Stevo and Treloar and allot of time in the off season to talk about it I wouldn’t except it to stop until the club fully recovers from it which won’t won’t know for a while. If you want to avoid the Stevo and Treloar talk I’d suggest staying out of this thread and creating one that suggest how the side can improve from and fix our issues.
If you think we will talk about it a lot over the off season, just wait until he has a good game in 2021.

You seem helbent on forgetting his 18/19 form?
2018, as a first year player, was incredibly exciting for what he could become, but he wasn't really any better than WHE or Thomas in 2018. First half of 2019 the excitement was growing as his leading patterns and sticky fingers were coming to the fore. There was a 5 game stretch where he went above anything that WHE or Thomas have produced. Then the betting scandal hit. 2020 he was substandard.

Personally, I think he's got the potential to become one of the best forwards of his generation, but he's not produced anywhere near that yet. All I'm saying is that, What he has produced to date isn't difficult to replace so losing him doesn't really make our current team worse. THus the theory that losing Stepho is going to make us much worse next year is malarkey. Undoubtedly, what he might produce in the future is extremely difficult to replace - he's a freak talent in my opinion and like most - I wish we'd kept him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we traded everyone who was down on usual output in 2020 for nothing we’d not have anyone left on our list
I wish we hadn't traded Stephonson. I think he'll become a star.

I'm just arguing that losing him doesn't make us a worse team next year than we were this year. I think we stuffed up the trades badly - getting terrible value for Treloar and losing an enormous talent for Stephenson for stuff all, but I don't think that those two stuff ups mean we will regress as a team in 2021. Treloar's output is the only output that will be hard to replace and Sidey coming back should cover that off.

Yeah Stevo was one who we were hoping for improvement from, but in terms of 2020, I think there's a fair bit of scope for improvement from all roles in the 2020 team anyway, except for those that were filled by Adams, Pendlebury, Crisp, Maynard, Mihocek and obviously Treloar. I'll be hoping for significantly more from Sidey, Howe, Grundy, JDG. I'll be hoping for continued improvement from Moore, Quaynor, Daicos, Noble and Madgen. In terms of the rest of the 2020 team, if they don't improve on their 2020 form, I'll be hoping and expecting them to be replaced in the team by someone who does improve on what they offered. And most significantly, I'll be expecting us to employ a more effective game plan and ball movement.
If the stars align that’s a possibility.
If De Goey finally realises he’s potential and gets to Dangerfield/Martin/Fyfe level that would go along way in solving our problems but I wouldn’t be banking on it.

We’ve been looking from getting improvement from players getting back from injury/unavailability ever since Buckley took over but it’s never happened. Every time a player gets back up another goes down. I’m sure we’ll have enough injuries that’ll even it out.

Moore I don’t think has much improvement left except his one on one defending which I think will always be a weakeness given his build. The 195cm forwards will always have that lower centre of gravity.

Daicos I think he’ll improve but not enough to make a real difference to the side. I think he’ll hover around that B grade teasing A grade for a couple of years. I think longer quarters will suit him. He’ll enough time to split wing and half forward duties to have an impact in both areas and be able to score more goals where as with the shorter quarters he has to play wing otherwise he doesn’t get involved.

I don’t see the upside in Noble tbh, if he improves his strength he can become a solid player but I don’t think he’ll ever be a super damaging player.

Quaynor if he improves his tanks and finds the ball more absolutely.

Madgen I’d have in a similar category as Noble but his physical attributes probably make him more AFL relevant.

As long as Buckley is around I wouldn’t expect any improvements gameplay wise. If all goes our way yes we can improve but I don’t think it will happen.

The way I see it is the bottom end of our best 22 is poor and it just got poorer from cutting three players without replacing them. We strucken with significant injuries every year and when they strike next year they’ll expose us more than in previous years.

Stop living in the past - better players than him have moved on without compromising success

FYI Buddy Franklin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A good side lost a star player, here a shit side lost a star player for nothing and people think that’ll make us better?

Only positive is it’ll make it impossible for them to justify giving Buckley a new contract after we miss finals

2018, as a first year player, was incredibly exciting for what he could become, but he wasn't really any better than WHE or Thomas in 2018. First half of 2019 the excitement was growing as his leading patterns and sticky fingers were coming to the fore. There was a 5 game stretch where he went above anything that WHE or Thomas have produced. Then the betting scandal hit. 2020 he was substandard.

Personally, I think he's got the potential to become one of the best forwards of his generation, but he's not produced anywhere near that yet. All I'm saying is that, What he has produced to date isn't difficult to replace so losing him doesn't really make our current team worse. THus the theory that losing Stepho is going to make us much worse next year is malarkey. Undoubtedly, what he might produce in the future is extremely difficult to replace - he's a freak talent in my opinion and like most - I wish we'd kept him.
I can’t agree with this. In fact you even admit that ok 2019 Stevo showed form that JT and WHE have never got to. Sure he be benefited from the same ball movement that inflated Thomas’ and WHE’s goal tallies in 2018 but he’s also showed he can still score goals when the forwardline turns to shit unlike those two. Sure they dropped but he was still getting a goal a game. Whereas WHE barely got over a goal every two games and JT barely looked like scoring at all. It’s not fair to consider them in the same category and thefore consider him to not be a loss.

He was equal second in the goal kicking tally as well with De Goey and Cox. You can’t say a player where a large source of goals comes from won’t be a loss next season.

Im not saying it’s a huge loss and I’m not saying it’s not a replaceable loss but it’s still a loss going into next season.

I was happy to get rid of him if we had something good coming the other direction btw I think he’ll be a frustrating player over journey only hitting top form for bits at a time.

If you think we will talk about it a lot over the off season, just wait until he has a good game in 2021.
Don’t you worry I’m waiting ;)

He was equal second in the goal kicking tally as well with De Goey and Cox. You can’t say a player where a large source of goals comes from won’t be a loss next season.

Trey Ruscoe came into the team, played Stephos standard role and produced at the same level as 2020 Stepho, but was dropped like Stepho was a few times because the odd opportunistic goal isn't good enough if you're regularly getting done in a lot of the physical contests you're in.

Whether it was going to be Stepho, Ruscoe, WHE, Elliott, whoever, I sure as hell hope we can easily cover what we got from Stepho (or Ruscoe when he replaced him) in 2020, because it wasn't much.

It’s nice to know you can easily replace the clubs only ever rising star winner...
If it makes you feel better, think of Danyle Pearce and Lewis Taylor.

I've watched this thread with a mixture of amusement, alarm and quiet fatalism.
To be brutally honest I have always regarded Stephenson as a downhill skier. Every team has at least one- but when its their turn to go they have to go.
Stephenson dogged it repeatedly.
I don't care how many goals he kicks at North Melbourne - I know and so do all of you that players who dog it repeatedly have let Collingwood down in finals. Can he play? Yes
Will we at various times miss him? Yes.
Would he let us down when the whips are cracking? Yes.
Did we get fair payment for him? Probably not but besides North who was beating the door down desperate for his services?

There wasn't a queue. I wonder why that was?

I'm in the minority - you can call me what you want - but frankly I'm glad he's gone.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, think of Danyle Pearce and Lewis Taylor.
Pearce played over 250 games and made two grand final appearances not sure he’s the best example.

We completely stuffed the trade but it also appears that Stephenson managed to pull off the holy triumphant of poor behaviour this year. Played up off field, trained poorly and didn't perform on game day. All on the back of almost derailing the club's season the year before. Even Swan and Degoey can't lay claim to that level of self sabotage in such a small space of time.

Good for these young players to have asperations to better the deeds of their predecessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back