Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
3-Way Tag Team of Stephenson, Holland’s and Tarryn Thomas would be pretty handy also.
Are we still talking about footy?

3-Way Tag Team of Stephenson, Holland’s and Tarryn Thomas would be pretty handy also.
Can't go wrong really... curse you!

Ability isn’t the issue, attitude is.

Also Bucks obsession with players being Able go play more than one role/position.

He was terrible when out on the wing this year, worried about contact, fumbling. Out of the goal square he’s great. But he may never be able to bulk up enough to play wing or midfield.
His forward game and goal kicking was so elite I doubt he would truly have been needed to play midfield. Whatever way you like to frame his ability and achievement, North got him at a bargain basement price. Stephenson will make our decision to trade him look stupid for years to come.

You may be beginning to lose perspective about where the Pies are at, if you're envying North.
Or the scary truth that they are better placed for a flag than us.

You really do oscillate between blind unfounded optimism and the impossible depths of despair, don’t you?

Apparently got caught a few times playing computer games at 3am in the hub and Buckley was furious, had to treat him like a child and ensure he was in bed.

I searched for a Danny Frawley "Yeah ... Nah" gif. All I got was Laverne and Shirley.

We'll be fine JMac. We've got a good core group and are going to bring through some kids. In 2009 we had a good core group, but we got thrashed by the Cats in a final. In 2010, we shifted some favourites out of the team, replaced them with kids and bob was our uncle.

I searched for a Danny Frawley "Yeah ... Nah" gif. All I got was Laverne and Shirley.

We'll be fine JMac. We've got a good core group and are going to bring through some kids. In 2009 we had a good core group, but we got thrashed by the Cats in a final. In 2010, we shifted some favourites out of the team, replaced them with kids and bob was our uncle.
I doubt Bob would approve of giving away players for nothing. In 2010 we were the ones receiving quality players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt Bob would approve of giving away players for nothing. In 2010 we were the ones receiving quality players.
In 2010 we phased out Tarks, Obree, Fraser and lost the young goal kicker - Jack Anthony.

Next year we may be in a position to add a couple of mature guys to have a full on tilt in 2022, after having given a few young blokes a taste of finals in 2021.

I'm looking forward to 2021 and seeing some kids develop.

Last edited:
The word is that North have taken it all on, and he'll be playing for slightly less than his current Collingwood contract price once that element expires.

It's claimed to be $2.3-2.4 million over 5 years, and the Collingwood aspect was over $500K per year. Getting the bloke for ~$400K at 25 & 26 seems like a bit of a long range bargain to me. Of course, these things can & do blow up from time to time.

From a Collingwood perspective, I’m hoping that the Stephenson career trajectory follows the same as, say a Cam McCarthy, or perhaps a Jared Brennan, but I fear this won’t be the case. Not sure if these are great/fair comparisons, but I won’t enjoy watching him play well without a Collingwood jumper on.

I suspect he's not that clued in to game plan, system and structure. Put him in the forward 50. His leading patterns are outstanding and gets seperation with ease, he can create time and space at ground level and doesn't need much of it to execute. He's a career forward in my opinion and I think he has the potential to have a Stevie J type career.
Perfect comparison, sr36. Just what I was looking for to add to my thoughts from quote above. Can’t agree more

From a Collingwood perspective, I’m hoping that the Stephenson career trajectory follows the same as, say a Cam McCarthy, or perhaps a Jared Brennan, but I fear this won’t be the case. Not sure if these are great/fair comparisons, but I won’t enjoy watching him play well without a Collingwood jumper on.
Unfortunately we'll never really know. Even if he re- discovers his form at NM, there's no real guarantee he would have played like that with us. It could be one of those scenarios where he may have a needed a fresh start to get back to his best form. If he doesn't, then we are geniuses.

I see it completely differently. Collingwood should have had room to accomodate Moore Grundy and De Goey (and Daicos for that matter). Paying these players what they were worth was not the problem. It was the symptom.. not the cause.

The problem stems back to paying Treloar Cox Phillips Langdon and Stephenson too much money and for various reasons not getting value for money in recent years. The killer blow though was the debacle with Beams.

No amount of poker tactics was going to save Collingwood from this disastrous trade period. It was always going to be a slow moving train wreck. Theres no way in hell Treloar and Stephenson were ever going to go quietly.

I suspect that WHE and Elliott also fit in the overpaid bracket.

Not to nearly the same extent. I’m a believer that things are rarely as good or as bad as they seem.
We all believe different things. I think we can agree that our club is being managed like dog shit.

warning ...at midnight tonight, the jaidyn stephenson thread will be moved to the western bulldogs forum.

warning ...at midnight tonight, the jaidyn stephenson thread will be moved to the western bulldogs forum.
Even though he is at the Kangaroos?

We all believe different things. I think we can agree that our club is being managed like dog sh*t.
i only really care about what happens onfield. We've only won one flag in the last 15 years, so you can't say we've been managed fabulously, but weve also only missed the finals 4 times, so management certainly hasn't been dire. Although its been 4 of the last 7. I think our management have become too emotionally attached to our coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back