Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

I only hope he doesn't follow the family tradition ... it is said that his uncle michael was one of the best players to come from SA, but only had a limited vfl career because of homesickness.

i'm personally hoping he maybe like daniel rich who I feared would go home at the first opportunity ... but really loves it in brisbane.

Doesn't seem like an overly emotional guy watching his interview - I don't think it's a bad thing, could have just been in a bit of sock as well. Probably just me, but his burst of pace and kicking style reminds me of Chris Judd.

I only hope he doesn't follow the family tradition ... it is said that his uncle michael was one of the best players to come from SA, but only had a limited vfl career because of homesickness.

i'm personally hoping he maybe like daniel rich who I feared would go home at the first opportunity ... but really loves it in brisbane.

Pretty sure Michael never went to the VFL

Lions welcome 'Super Six'
November 21

“We are really happy with the young talent we were able to add to our list tonight,” said Kerr.
“If someone had told me at the start of the year that James Aish would still be around at Pick 7 I wouldn’t have believed them.
“James has an exceptional football CV and his experience in two SANFL Grand Finals is invaluable.

AFL draftee Aish wants his own name
November 22, 2013
Steve Larkin

AFL draftee James Aish doesn't want to be known as a son - or a nephew, or a grandson.

He doesn't even really want to be known as a dual premiership footballer in South Australia's state league.

Aish wants to be his own man. And he reckons being drafted by Brisbane will help.

But James is ready to leave Adelaide - and the feats of his famous footballing family - behind.

"There won't be much of that Aish pressure, I guess," the 19-year-old said of moving to Brisbane.

"It will be just my own name and trying to make my own way, which is probably a good thing."

Pick 7: James Aish

Player comparison
Scott Pendlebury (COLL), Trent Cotchin (RICH)

What they say
"When I'm out on the ground it's always in my mind [about getting bigger] and I think it's something to look at positively. Like, look at what I'm doing now and then I work out, with a bit of extra muscle, what I might be able to hopefully do in the future." – James Aish

"James is a one in 1000 player. I know it's a big call but he (Aish) is certainly of that ilk. He's the best 16-year-old I've seen." – Norwood Football Manager, Mark Ross

“James plays like a natural footballer. The South Australian midfielder was named in the under-18 All Australian team the past two years, and overcame a shoulder reconstruction to play an important role for Norwood towards the end of this season. He is a wingman who runs the ball up and down the ground, and sees the game unfold in front of him.” – Afl.com.au draft expert, Callum Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions delighted to land SA star James Aish with lucky pick seven in draft
23 November 2013
Greg Davis

BRISBANE is in seventh heaven about James Aish. The Lions selected the South Australian with pick No. 7 in Thursday's AFL draft, shocked that a player with such a blue-chip pedigree was still up for grabs. The 18-year-old midfielder is poised to follow in the footsteps of fellow No. 7 picks and draft "sliders" Joel Selwood (Geelong, 2006), Daniel Rich (Lions, 2008) and Ollie Wines (Port Adelaide, 2012) by making an immediate impact.

"It seems to be the magical pick ... you might have to trade for no. 7 in the future," Lions coach Justin Leppitsch said. "We are absolutely pumped to have James on board. To be honest, I didn't look at his footage until a week ago because I thought there was no chance he'd still be available at No.7.''

Brisbane national talent manager Rob Kerr is equally as bullish about the Norwood wonderkid. "He had the best CV in the draft," Kerr said. "We were surprised he was sliding. If you said to me at the start of the year that we would be getting James Aish, I would have thought we'd need pick two or three to get him.''

Despite having a famous South Australian footballing name and a tight-knit family, home sickness is unlikely to grip Aish. "If I got drafted by an Adelaide club I reckon there would have been some extra pressure on me so it is probably good to get out and go make a name for myself somewhere else," he said. "This way I can be judged purely on what I do, not on what my family have done.

908289-3cb0d420-53d6-11e3-9447-447e09e048d9.jpg

Love the sound of this lad.

Hearing his name last year as a top pick i didn't take much notice if him. I didn't realize just how mature this kid seems to be, seems real level headed. I think he will end up similar to Rich, I don't think he will rack up touches, but when he gets it he will use it well. I think Quigs was kind of correct in saying (paraphrasing here), he isn't really a damaging kick, playing as an outside type, even on his highlights he is no Rich, but I think he is like an outside version of Rocky, he picks the right options and hits those targets, doesn't go for things outside of his ability. I also like TBD's comparison to Power, I can see him in that mould. Power was clever and set a lot up, but wasn't damaging. I can see Aish being involved in a lot of scoring chains more so than kicking them himself. Overall he is a great fit, whilst we could do with another inside mid, Aish has a game type that we do need. Like Mayes, he will learn to play inside a bit more, but will always bean outside in type mid.

Super happy to have picked him up.

Brisbane recruit James Aish grew up at the Norwood club
22 November 2013
Courtney Walsh

SO indoctrinated is James Aish into the history of Norwood, it is a fair bet he could date every one of the 29 premierships the Redlegs have won. He could probably even pinpoint the blade of grass at The Parade where his uncle Michael, a club legend, gathered his first touch. While Aish last night became a Brisbane Lion, it is the SANFL giant that has largely shaped him.

From his time in short pants Aish -- taken at pick number seven by the Lions - has been a fixture at the club where his father Andrew played and his uncle won a Magary Medal. Yet until last year, there was one part of the club Aish knew nothing of, namely the senior clubhouse. While lore has it that Gary Ablett Jr forever hassled his dad in the Kardinia Park change rooms, Aish refused to enter the senior rooms until he earned an invitation.

That invitation came last season when, aged 16 and 144 days, he became the youngest debutant for Norwood. And it was earned, for the Redlegs have been a SANFL power under Nathan Bassett, with Aish leaving the club a dual-premiership player given its success in his two season's there. Midway through his first season of senior football, a talent scout dubbed him a "one in 1000 player" who was better than Carlton star Bryce Gibbs at the same age.

Yet it clearly has not gone to his head, given Bassett's assessment after the grand final defeat of North Adelaide last month. "I've known him since he was 13, just hanging around our footy club. His dad's the chaplin at our footy club and he was a terrific SANFL player as well," Bassett told the league website. "He's a great person. He brings high professionalism. He's a lovely well-balanced young man. "He'll play, I imagine, right from the start and he'll make great decisions. One club's going to be lucky to have him."
Given his grounding playing against men under Bassett, Aish is hopeful of making an early impression in the AFL.

Aish's maturity and regular participation in representative teams should stand him in good stead for the move interstate despite his close relationship with his parents, who work as physiotherapists.

Aish >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gibbs.:p

Aish also played alongside the Lions’ reigning Rookie of the Year Sam Mayes at last year’s U18 Championships, and said he was thrilled to reunite with his fellow Croweater.

“We got along pretty well,” Aish told lions.com.au.

“He sent me a few messages throughout the year and we had a bit of a chat. He's already gotten onto me since he found out (I was drafted). He's pretty happy and it will be good to get up there and see him.”

Aish will also be able to share stories from his Norwood days with other former ‘Redlegs’ at the Club including two-time Merrett-Murray Medal winner Joel Patfull and Hyundai Lions Academy Coach Scott Borlace.

Aish_Action-article.jpg

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-11-26/familiarity-for-draftees

Only time will tell but I'd be surprised (and bitterly disappointed) if JA doesn't turn out to be a long term player for our club.

Everything that you read about him and everything that comes out of his mouth, points to him being a mature, self-made person.

Great that he has a mate in Mayes who also appears to love the club.

In terms of his contribution to our club, I predict James Aish will be greater than Sam Sheldon and James Hawksley combined. I think he will almost be as great as Jamie Charman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back